quick advice needed pls re viewing Cheap DR350 !

The Things We Ride
willywombat64

quick advice needed pls re viewing Cheap DR350 !

Post by willywombat64 »

Found a 91 kickstart DR ( not enduro ) for sale locally and as it's cheap thought I might have a look . Although I own Bob's old 350 I am new to the model and looking for any advice . The bike looks from the photos to be in reasonable condition and even has an ohlins shock fitted which the seller
strangely didn't even mention. It's been around a fair bit with 13 yes 13 previous owners since being imported in '98. last recorded mileage was around 15k but that was in 2009 .and it wasn't MOT'd again till last may It now has a basic aftermarket speedo fitted and is recorded online as having a Daytime MOT but the seller who is lithuanian seems fairly clueless saying he got if from his neighbour and it has working lights so a bit odd. He also claims engine/clutch/gearbox all to be good with no smoke or rattles ..but we shall see. HPI check online shows never written off and nothing obviously dodgy. Only other slightly odd thing is that on the online MOT records it says DR250 but seller photo'd the reg doc and it does say 350 and ensures me that is the case. Also on the DVLA site it comes up as DR350.
Any advice would be much appreciated re the particular model. things to be wary of , daytime MOT issues relating to insurance? and other stuff that arises suspicion or needs to be checked out. It is fairly cheap and I might not have been bothered if I hadn't seen the ohlins . Wouldn't mind that on my other bike if it fits tbh! Too good to be true or tread very cautiously ?
thanks in advance
Bill
daveuprite

Re: quick advice needed pls re viewing Cheap DR350 !

Post by daveuprite »

Well it depends a lot on what 'cheap' means. Personally I would look at the bike as a source of spares (particularly) that Ohlins shock, because it has an unusual history. If it's cheap enough to think of it as a pile of spares then great, why not go for it? Then if it turns out to be worth restoring a bit and running as a whole bike then that's a bonus.

But remember that the shock may need a full refresh. A shagged out Ohlins is no better than the original shock, so maybe budget for it to be refreshed.
boboneleg

Post by boboneleg »

Hi Bill,

it all sounds a bit fishy to me. Hard to tell from one photo as to the condition of the bike but unless it's extremely cheap and you buy it with the thought that maybe you'll just use it as a parts mule then maybe it would be worth a punt.

Only if it's extremely cheap though :D
one-legged adventurer
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

for others to evaluate you need more info .. (and to make checks yourself)
. more pics
. engine number, frame number
. price
. video of walk around with engine running
. signs of oil leaks/ petrol leaks/exhaust sound/ rattles etc
. sign of smoke
. press down on forks/ seat etc etc etc (as for mot)
. contact previous owners/ mot stations?/dvla etc

As mentioned, an old ohlins may be crap and not be able to renovate, or be buggered up by a twat `mechanic`(personal experience)
All the rubbers are probably perished (especially in the carb)
Rust probably where you cant even see
Probably need a new chain and sprockets .. and tyres .. and . ..
The kickstart only DRs are not generally sought after and may be why it had so many owners (I had one till it was nicked, causing me anxiety dreams to this day) .. but it could go like fack .. well over 90 easy
Kicking up will probably be very difficult until everything is spot on, especially the carb (no flooding, no leaks, set up spot on)

it all sounds dodgy but it may not be and I would buy it if it was cheap, but then, I am stupid :? 8-)

ps .. if it turns out to be stolen .. you will not be the legal owner
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

I wouldn't have a kickstart only DR350 as they're shite
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

johnnyboxer wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:38 pm I wouldn't have a kickstart only DR350 as they're shite
Very subtle and delicately put, Johnny, but you're quite right. I got thoroughly sick of kicking and kicking my old DR350 until I almost passed out, while other riders waited to effortlessly thumb their little magic buttons. I would never go back to kick start only.
willywombat64

Post by willywombat64 »

thanks to all for the advice/comments .Not everyone thinks they're shite though.A mate of mine(calm softly spoken chap) who has owned multiple models of most older trailbikes and is an excellent and experienced bike mechanic liked his ' 90 kicker but it was probably set up to perfection like all his machines. Funnily enough JB he doesn't rate your precious XR400 and has owned /stripped down virtually all the XR's so it's a personal thing ...He generally loves honda XR too.
I Did have a DR 600 years ago that could be a pig to get going particularly when coming off ferries in the greek islands..left me cursing and sweating whilst the locals zoomed away on various contraptions.
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

XR400 is twice the bike
Nice one for sale from Franco here
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
ggp59

Post by ggp59 »

Can't really judge the bike you're looking at, as would need to see it (and it's owner) in the flesh first

But had a 98' kick start only DR 350 from new, and it started 2 kick every time from cold and only took about 5 when it had been upside down! :shock:
But still consider it the best all round and most well rounded trail bike I've ever owned - and have had a lot of different stuff now
But then turned it into a difficult to start and unreliabe piece of crap by getting it bored out to a 385
willywombat64

Post by willywombat64 »

well ...the update for anyone interested. WHAT A PALAVER !
drove 45miles to view the bike having done my research and armed with trailer,lights, tools and stand for giving her a good once over ( ooer missus).Arrived early but waited till the arranged 6.30 pm. Knocked on door answered by kid telling me his Dad wouldn't be back till 9pm!
Rather annoyed I asked to speak to his wife but was told she couldn't speak English. Said can I just view the bike to avoid wasting time (as it was in the garage )but they claimed no key was available!
Eventually I got through to the chap who said he was at work not back till 9 and had tried to contact me but lost my number. Phone then cut off
Standing there wondering what to do a big white van pulls up outside the garage and 2 friendly Irish Lads say hello. I quickly ascertain they're here to collect the bike they'd viewed last night and put a deposit down on. Well you can imagine my words to describe the bloke. and I hope any kids within earshot weren't permanently damaged!
To cut a long story short the Irish lads were a laugh , the bike was a great deal and ran sweet but was a bit awkward to start ..exhausting one chap until I had a go and got lucky. They had knocked the chap down from £700 to £530 and although it needed work on lights etc it sounded good . Decent tyres and general condition incl newish C+S although no ignition switch and lights needed some alteration. The lithuanian seller insisted on paying me for my wasted time and fuel and told his missus to buy me off at £50 so realising he wasn't all bad accepted £30 which reduced my anger somewhat .
In some ways although the bike was a bargain I'm not so disappointed as it did remind me that Kickers can be a pain as people said unless you have the knack and know the machine. I already have an SE model and numerous other two wheeled projects so adding to the full garage might not have really been a good idea after all . Can't help thinking about that lovely ohlins though! I'm sure we've all been in the same boat at some time in our lives ..buying things we don't really need because they're cheap and can't resist. I could have made a profit but it would probably have sat in my garage with everything else waiting to be sorted, out or possibly used as spares with unwanted parts being sold off eventually. I'm happy tonight with the result ..less clutter , more knowledge and it only cost me a few hours of my time . As said before it also reminded me that kick starting CAN be a frustrating and tiring experience. Long live the E start! ( with backup kicker!).

Return to “BIKES”