What Next

The Things We Ride
Earwig

What Next

Post by Earwig »

Got a xl125 varadero at the mo, but just passed my test :) but only with an A2 restricted job :huh:

I need a bike that meets the A2 rules (restricted to 25Kw ...... ),
will deal with the hills and roads in the Yorkshire Dales (commute 35 miles across them each way for work),
has enough go to get past tourists on the way home on a Friday :evil:
Is novice friendly :)
Good on fuel :)
Could be up to some touring

Needs to be a faily light bike as I'm a bit of a whimp!!!
Thinking about a BMW F650GS
Any other ideas from you guys in the know?
mark1150

Re: What Next

Post by mark1150 »

Is it going to be used off road as well as on?
I think that the world is your oyster regarding choices....have you considered restrictor kit's to say a TTR, Versys etc?
The end of the road is the start of the fun

A bad day on the bike is still better than a good day at the office

DRZ 400

XR 400 R
leo-david

Post by leo-david »

My 2p - Transalp 650/700 would be a good buy or if your feeling a bit different try a Royal Enfield Woodsman (80MPG ave).
Bonniebird

Post by Bonniebird »

F650GS or G650GS have it restricted to 33bhp B)
Sprockette

Post by Sprockette »

If it was me I'd go for the DR350 or XT350 or something like that, both have less that 33 bhp. The price you'd have to pay for a second hand one and the price you'd get when selling to buy a bigger one once your restriction is up wouldn't be that much different. Or even something like one of the 250s; TTR250 etc.

The thing you've got to ask yourself about restricting a more powerful bike is whether or not you think you'll keep it longer than two years. If the answer is yes then I can't see the problem in going for a restricted bike. I personally wouldn't do that as I can't see the point when there's so much else available. If you went for a 250/350 could then get a larger one later and keep the small one for fun green laning! :woohoo:
Mad Cow

Post by Mad Cow »

Nothing wrong with a F650GS to be honest but a bit on the porky side for a 650 (423 lb / 192 kg wet weight) but a good choice for road use. Not sure what they are like restricted (50bhp to 33bhp)?

Or how about a Suzuki DRZ400? Lighter (319 lb / 145 kg wet) a bit more dirt oriented and it too needs a restrictor (38bhp claimed).
Tony AKA MAD COW

KTM 1090 Adventure R

KTM 450 EXC Rally

MY BLOG
Earwig

Post by Earwig »

:)

Thanks guys for your advice. Bike will mianly be used for commutting (70 miles a day (35 each way)across the Yorkshire Dales (A and B roads ... NO duel carrige or motorways around here!!). Do journey on my XL125 Varadero at mo, but need a bit more go for some of the hills (and to get past tourists :evil: ).

Dealers can be a pain when you have a restricted licence, as they dont have bike for you to test ride :ohmy: That said, Local(ish) BMW dealer has sorted out a way round the problem by laying on a trainer (with radio contact etc)and bike (with L plates!!). So I will be testing a F650GS (800cc twin) very soon ... who knows .... it might be just what I'm after.

Looking to keep long term, so initial restriction (which is free from BMW to put on and then take off)is not a problem.

Earwig
Earwig

Post by Earwig »

Earwig wrote::)

....... I will be testing a F650GS (800cc twin) very soon ...

Earwig
TEST RIDE DONE :woohoo:
Used to 15bhp :blink: so 71bhp :evil: was bit of a shock :ohmy: , but really good. F650GS as a first big bike (even restricted)... SOOOOOOOO tempting. Do I tell her indoors :whistle:
Lord Sut

Post by Lord Sut »

Explain why you bought it to her. Not why you need to buy it ;)
Gas_Up_Lets_Go

Post by Gas_Up_Lets_Go »

Earwig wrote:TEST RIDE DONE :woohoo:

I don't want to spoil your fun. The bike you tested will be very different to the one you ride, most bikes don't being restricted and don't always behave how you would expect them to.

You may well go with the BMUU, and that's fine but have a go on a bike with less power, the TTR is a good example, to see what you are actually getting, then try to imagine the bigger (in cc) bike with half the power of the one you tested.

It's not easy, and you've already seen the problem with getting a ride on restricted bikes. My view is dealers know restricted bike feel very underpowered to a bike that runs normally at ~33hp, hense they take out the restrictor kits when they get them in...

Not trying to spoil anything, just trying to explain the reality a little.
Mistakes are natures way of showing us we have more to learn

Return to “BIKES”