Honda DCT

The Things We Ride
RavenstoneGSA

Honda DCT

Post by RavenstoneGSA »

Hi All,

Seriously considering trading my GSA for a 2018 Africa Twin and really intrigued by the DCT transmission. I ride year round including commuting to work through the Nottingham traffic. I love a bit of filtering, even with BMW panniers on but I'm in the habit of blipping my throttle to make a bit of noise and control my speed by feathering the clutch.

I'm wondering how this works with DCT which I gather can't be dropped into neutral unless you're stationary. A bit of enthusiastic blipping would probably send me through someone's back window so is anyone out their using DCT on their daily commute? Very interested to hear how you're getting on.

Cheers,

John.
garyboy

Re: Honda DCT

Post by garyboy »

I have not got an AT and I do not commute (retired) :lol:
but I have got an NC750s (naked, with lowered seat)
which does have the Honda DCT
but it is the older 2015/16 version, which, apparently, is a bit different.

My dct is great for filtering in heavy traffic, often `beating` more powerful bikes, as it is very easy to operate and control, once you got the hang of it. .. tho of course that may be different with the bigger AT (the NC750s is small and slippery as a snake in traffic).

to answer the question ..NO .. you can't blip the throttle, as you will be propelled forward quite suddenlt and rapidly, as you are not expecting it.

it takes a long time to get used to the automatic mode .. but of course there is the manual mode, which is not fully manual as it will not let you stall or change down too early.
I use the manual override mostly (small lever on left handlebar), and usually have to press the `down` lever 3 times for every corner, but the newer dct apparently, hold the lower gear longer, which is probably just as annoying. .. you get used to continual changing-down, and this gets the bike accelerating better too.

very important is the chain tension .. just slightly slack, even 5mm below the max, and this gives a really jerky ride at low speeds and in traffic .. but this can be controlled by the throttle [not the clutch] ..
.. so, for low speed and traffic..
very gentle use of throttle .. the only real controller.

You have to learn a different way of riding and power control.
and rely 100% on your throttle alone. ..
[and down-shifter lever].
(plus abs brakes of course)
wideparting

Post by wideparting »

I had a 12gsa and bought a Honda dct 1200 crosstourer.novel at first but soon got bored with it and went back to a 1200gsa. very heavy bike to manouver,brakes good,acceleration very good.good build quality but found it awkward at slow speeds.take a very long test ride if youre thinking of getting one.yet to find a bike as good as the gsa,but there will be a few on here that disagree. j
GFJ1

Post by GFJ1 »

On ukgser.com there is a section on the honda AT. Lots of hints and tips on how to get the best out of the dct fitted to that bike.
Hoggyf

Post by Hoggyf »

I recently had a test on a DCT Africa twin and got to say I loved it, found it dead easy to ride straight away, normal auto was a bit keen to change up so put it into sport auto and it hangs on a bit longer in each gear, easy to trickle along on or wind it up and let it go up through the gears for you. I did try it in manual mode using the buttons to change but didn't feel the need not to have it in sport auto. Also rode the proper manual one at the same time and for me it would be DCT every day, it was fantastic! If I could afford one I'd buy it but for now the Tiger is staying, seat on the AT was shoite though :o
Then:
Honda MB5, Honda MBX125, 350LC, RGV250, MTX125, GasGas JTX250, CM 644 DS, BMW R1100S, Beta Rev3 250, Beta Rev4T, Honda XL700V Transalp, BMW F800 GS, Kawasaki Super Sherpa
Now:
Montesa 4RT, Triumph Tiger 800, Beta Alp, Montesa 315

Return to “BIKES”