The next step....

The Things We Ride
andrew882

Re: The next step....

Post by andrew882 »

Hey Morph, sorry I don't have the actual seller details for the kit (like I said it was bought a while ago) but I can tell you it looks pretty much the same as most of the generic kits on Fleabay - I guess they're pretty well all coming out of the same warehouse in China!

Things I've learnt from putting this together:

- Start with the lightest bike you can find/afford as the kit adds a huge amount of weight (especially the rear hub drive wheel. The one I have seems to weigh the same as a small planet but looks bulletproof...maybe mid-drive setup would be lighter?)

- If you're going for full suspension, pay attention to the frame and where the battery will go. This was the biggest headache for this build as the batteries are effing huge and there doesn't seem to be much in the way of alternatives unless you want to significantly sacrifice capacity. If you're going hardtail it should fit in the frame triangle on the bottle mount bosses without issue.

- Go for disk brakes! As DaveCon said....however alarming the V brakes look in the picture, they're even more alarming when you're hurtling down a long hill on a heavy bike.... :D

Oh, and wash it before posting pics :lol:
DaveCon

Post by DaveCon »

andrew882 wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:10 am
- Go for disk brakes! As DaveCon said....however alarming the V brakes look in the picture, they're even more alarming when you're hurtling down a long hill on a heavy bike.... :D

Oh, and wash it before posting pics :lol:
:lol: ;)
minkyhead

Post by minkyhead »

im learning a bit ..this is a learners tale ..im a novice ...completly :?

i thought with having off road expiriance on motorbikes the transition to off road cycling would be easier

i think im pretty wrong there a huge differences ..and although im not mard so to speak ,,ive found pleanty to chew on ... what id consider a pretty simple decent on a dirtbike with proper tyres ..is somwahat of a rude awakening ...if you think a two stroke has no engine braking ..try a mountain bike ..

and again climbing stuff takes a lot of timing ...having the pedels in the right place to clear roots and bumps but still be in the press position is still witchcraft ..add in the right gear and assist level pedal position and gods know what :lol: ...im just learning and its a totally different ball game ...its not easy ..

decents are all brakes/tyres body position ,pedel position .. touch and feel ..im improving but feck me a very simple woodsy slope is interesting ..ive learned quite abit about the brakes and tyres but lever pressure is much more to hold .. ive binned it a few times .... and had some pretty comical wheelspin and wheel lifts ...setting off when your tyres are sunk three inches in mud is not that simple ...for me anyway just enough to balence without spinning the wheel ect ect :?:

im not very good at all ..but i am improving and that is good too . 8-)

but i really am loving the bike ...im off over feilds ..lifting over barbed wire fences ..ignoring trespass signs carrying it down
streams to get to the road ...and all within maby 15 miles of home

ive hooked up me montanna to the handlebars since xmas and ...wow ...the area ive lived in for 60 years has so much ive never seen ..im routing stuff bridleways footpaths ...chaeting a bit ... and really getting right in to it ..im able to pedel maby 11 out of 15 miles totally off road .... thats somthing before i never considered possible :mrgreen:

im not doing hard stuff ..but here and there im laying down some challenges of all diffrent types small but a bit harder ..pedel enough and they will just appear and then its mucho chinscratching ...all good fun ..... ..i but ive learnt bit by bit how the tyres work and ive been amazed at what i can ride over ...front moving rear moving and ...honestly lerning to control wheelspin with pedels ...the assists levels the gears you need to get grip or spin up .....all at maby 7mph .... its really entertaining

i know now that it is a totally different ball game than a dirt bike and daft things ..i still try and use the pegs to steer ...but im very slowly getting the hang of the basics ...

i i met some guys in the lakes on moitain bikes last time out ..had a chat ..tibberthwaite if you know it ...id be petrified on a montain bike but im in fairness prety comfy on anything under 175kgmns there on a motorbike ..there is so much i dont know about off road cycling ...on thing i do know its a lot harder per meter up or down and not just in terms of pedeling ..i guess thats part of being new

thjat said im not going to even try that sort of stuff certainly anytime soon ....i also worry about them lads ..they dont wear much in the way of prtection ..bare legs and a trust in their ability seems to be the norm

i do think i need to maby have a day or two with some proffesional advice ..there must be ..infact deffinatly is lots of stuff im doing wrong ...... however bit by bit i think im getting deep end expiriance ..but i bet i could learn a lot with a insructor ,all that said i am getting more used to it and im deffo much more confident just by having a go ....

at first i thiough the tyres were pants i nearly fell in the canal ...but fast forward a few months and im pedeling over some really awful muddy ruts real slop and stuff id have to be carful with on a dirtbike ...ive been bit by bit getting more and more suprised by what it will pedal over .... the4 .8 16 and .....25 X pedel assist which is is mental in places in the lower gears makes it easy for oa older guy with at best a medium fitness level ...ive also found that cos i can stay seated and pedel i can get more traction in pl;aces where on me old carrara id have to stand

ive only been at it i dunno 5 months but ..i abaslutly love me leccy bike ...when i bought it i had a job in mind ..i wasnt sure if id like it or weather id wane and lose interest ...but i was convinced enough to give it a go ..they arnt cheap so i was on the positive side ..i didnt buy it on a wing a and a prayer i did like me old pushbike but not its limitations and indeed my own ... but because of these and my limited fitness as well .. im no invalid but im no athlete either ..... i didnt use as much or as far as i would have liked

i have to say since i got a bit more used to it and hooked up to the osm maps on me montanna ...it absalutly amazing where ive been and what ive seen in a place i thought knew so well ...
ive made a good decision ..i dont want the leg and lungbursting slog ..but that said you still have to pedel these things and me fitness is improving as im out on it a lot .i do make meself work ..but when i need a break or im confronted by 300 meters of muddy gloopy grass i can cheat and press assist so i dont blow a fuse ..but im deffo getting stronger after 5 months i can feel it ..so all good from my perspective ..verry happy on me cheaty bicycle even lost me wooly hat on a thorn hedge today ... very very exciting indeed 8-) ..battery recharging ill be out before friday for sure ..its ace :mrgreen: ..im pedeling a solid thirty miles now 20 off road ...and after 5/6 months im thinking i need a spare a battery .. ..maby next year ... but off road it saps it ..... but thats a positive im deffo improving in that department but im pretty knackered on one battery so ill stick with the range ..i could go 50/60miles on the road but thats pretty boring i rteakon ill get one but noot just yet ...i need me fitness to catch up ...and that is deffo improving ... so yes maby next year ? i could be minky two batterys

i know nowt about it advise wise ... except that i really like it .... hopfully ill get a bit more with it as time goes by :?:
if anyone near me would like to come for a expert demo of my mega skills :ugeek: give me a bit of help and tips that would be ace but expect a pony treck witha a free lunch and a beer at the end
braaaap

whats the wether forcast ..wheres me map
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

Good stuff Steve
Love reading about your exploits
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
Cone

Post by Cone »

Minky, If i had 4.5k to spend on a bicycle it'd be one of these!!

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified ... ric&page=2
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

Cone wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:13 am Minky, If i had 4.5k to spend on a bicycle it'd be one of these!!

Now then, this is interesting. That bike has crossed the line.
That is an electric motorcycle masquerading as an electric bicycle.
That kind of beast isn't really any use in the UK, not if you want the peace of mind of being legal and able to use bridleways, canals, cycle paths etc.....without the constant threat of having it confiscated.
Pretty much every time you threw your leg over it you'd be breaking some kind of law.....unless you had your own land, but if you had your own land you'd buy a KTM 300 wouldn't you?
I ride "normal" cycles and also ebikes. I can put as much effort into peddling my mountain e-bike as I do on my non-assisted bike....the difference is the e-bike has faster acceleration and maintains a higher average speed over verying terrain.
Still the same work-out if I want it to be.
Riding a mountain E-bike off road, using routes not available to motorbikes is great fun.
If you live in a flat are and you stick to tarmac an ebike isn't much of an advantage over a decent lightweight cycle.
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

Cone wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:13 am Minky, If i had 4.5k to spend on a bicycle it'd be one of these!!

That's not a bicycle though as it's not limited to 15mph
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
DaveCon

Post by DaveCon »

I pick up my eMTB in a week or so and can't wait. It's going to open up for me all the trails in the Peak District that have been close to motorized traffic for whatever reason :roll: I can even take the bike on the train for free, so Wales and the Lakes are not out of the question.

Even just on a normal MTB (I commandeered my sons :lol: ) I pretty much echo what Minkyhead has written. It's immense fun, like riding offroad motorcycle but also very different and my fitness is at a level I've not seen for 20 years :D

I've discovered so many new tracks right on my doorstep (longest ride has been 20 miles) and even a bespoke MTB park within 3 miles we never knew existed, and another 6 miles away :shock:
minkyhead

Post by minkyhead »

yep i d look good on that ..with me fishemans wellies wooly hat and panniers :D

awsome thing ..if it looked more like a pushbike you would get away with it .. but i think it would draw a bit of attention from the law ..that said its a of roader and if you took it the right places it would be fine ..apart from the fact id kill meself on it it looks great fun
minkyhead

Post by minkyhead »

DaveCon wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:10 am I pick up my eMTB in a week or so and can't wait. It's going to open up for me all the trails in the Peak District that have been close to motorized traffic for whatever reason :roll: I can even take the bike on the train for free, so Wales and the Lakes are not out of the question.

Even just on a normal MTB (I commandeered my sons :lol: ) I pretty much echo what Minkyhead has written. It's immense fun, like riding offroad motorcycle but also very different and my fitness is at a level I've not seen for 20 years :D

I've discovered so many new tracks right on my doorstep (longest ride has been 20 miles) and even a bespoke MTB park within 3 miles we never knew existed, and another 6 miles away :shock:
bril that which did you choose ... post up some pictures ..its all very exciting

Return to “BIKES”