The next step....

The Things We Ride
Spike941

Re: The next step....

Post by Spike941 »

SteveW wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:36 pm Assisted up to 15 mph is plenty fast enough. I wouldn't mess about with mine.
Like Minky says, range would suffer, so would wear and tear....brakes, cassette and chain.
Fastest I've done on mine is 37mph, down a big hill on tarmac......not pleasant!
Fit, good cyclists on road bikes will leave you behind if you're on a mountain ebike on the flat or down hill, but up hill you'll catch them up.
I can see the appeal, but being a bit of a MAMIL when the weather's fine, I'll regularly cover 60 - 100kms on my road bike without any battery anxiety whatsoever. I understand one of these e-bikes become very heavy to pedal when drained. However, I've yet to try one. As for downhill speed, according to Strava, my fastest was 82.4kph down Snake Pass last summer. I may have been the last going up, but I was certainly the first to get to the bottom. Do motorcyclists have more confidence on two wheels at speed, on a bicycle?
minkyhead

Post by minkyhead »

Treadtrader wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:42 am This thread has got me searching for an Ebike again.
While I love trail biking,, the restrictions that have happened over the years have made owning one almost redundant.
The area I live offers so many Public footpaths and bridleways that can be accessed by bike an Ebike makes sense.
The keep fit aspect attracts too, they still need pedalling.

dont aggree at all on this point

i honestly think gb has some spectacular riding if you take the time to get the info and plan it ..i realy love our county and countryside ..there is hundreds of miles of spectacular routes al over the place ..you just have to be prepared to travel a little and enjoy it ..take a couple of nights away or more but the rewards are out there for anyone who wants them ..for me its not al about the trails it travelling the smaler backroads and exploring the national parks ..dipping on and off road ..thats why i wont buy a enduro or a orange coolaide machine .as i want to travel

i am not overstepping the mark or exsagerating to say i have enough routes in gb that i could pack the bike up and dissapear for 4 weeks or more on what i have mapped and as you can see there is a huge void down in the central south eastern parts ive never go around to and shit loads more in devon and cornwall i know little about ..north wales has enough on its own for a solid weeks riding ???

keep well merry easter

ImagePC170006 by minkyhead56, on Flickr
whats the wether forcast ..wheres me map
Morph

Post by Morph »

I've covered more miles Off Road on a MTB than on a motor bike.
IMG_4250.JPG
IMG_4250.JPG (212.49 KiB) Viewed 2462 times
I don't see the need for an e-bike.

My mates wife has just had heart surgery so she has one to allow her to carry on riding.

Horses for courses.
The lightest piece of kit is the one you leave behind...
minkyhead

Post by minkyhead »

captinktm wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:07 am
SteveW wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:36 pm Assisted up to 15 mph is plenty fast enough. I wouldn't mess about with mine.
Like Minky says, range would suffer, so would wear and tear....brakes, cassette and chain.
Fastest I've done on mine is 37mph, down a big hill on tarmac......not pleasant!
Fit, good cyclists on road bikes will leave you behind if you're on a mountain ebike on the flat or down hill, but up hill you'll catch them up.
I don't get it! So I am out walking with my family minding my own business, got the dogs with me as well, I hear a motorbike coming so gather them up and stand to one side. The rider passes with a wave and we walk on. Next day walking down the same track and without any warning a f'in E bike comes round the corner at 20 plus and piles into us? The world as truly gone mad! These e bikes will be banned within 5 years then what you going to do get a horse :lol:
you are a miserable t**T at times captain ..such a joy ..always on the bright side :mrgreen:

my ebike has yet to take a shit on the footpath or kill a sheep ..maby a electric dog wouldnt be a bad idea ..and all children should be shot..

merry feckin xmas
whats the wether forcast ..wheres me map
captinktm

Post by captinktm »

minkyhead wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:20 am
captinktm wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:07 am
I don't get it! So I am out walking with my family minding my own business, got the dogs with me as well, I hear a motorbike coming so gather them up and stand to one side. The rider passes with a wave and we walk on. Next day walking down the same track and without any warning a f'in E bike comes round the corner at 20 plus and piles into us? The world as truly gone mad! These e bikes will be banned within 5 years then what you going to do get a horse :lol:
you are a miserable t**T at times captain ..such a joy ..always on the bright side :mrgreen:

my ebike has yet to take a shit on the footpath or kill a sheep ..and all children should be shot
:lol: What a complete and utter tosser you must be. You wonder why the general public hate you. What a fucking thing to say. Personally I could not give two fucks what happens on the trail's and foot path of the uk, I have never had a problem on them. My post was just an example of what will happen.
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

When I'm riding a push bike (ebike or non-ebike) on an off road route where there are folk on foot I never have a problem because I slow right down as I pass them. I'm no faster than a jogger when I pass.
Plus I've always got my dog with me....see runs about 20 yards infront so she's an advanced warning!
Cycling big miles on a road bike has never appealed to me......great as a form of exercise.....but pretty boring, unless it's a race.
Cycling is all about getting off the road for me. I love stitching routes together on cycle paths, bridleways, canals etc...
It's not about speed it's about getting away from cars, buses and trucks and seeing a town or area from a different angle.
You can cycle through a town that you think you know pretty well, because you drive though it all the time.....but if you use routes that cars can't....like canal towpaths and cycleways it's really interesting because you get a different perspective.
DaveCon

Post by DaveCon »

This thread has really sparked my interest in getting an eBike. I used to do a lot of MTB riding but gave up because where I live now everywhere is seriously uphill :( Perhaps a little electric boost is what I need.

I used to do a lot of riding down towpaths (no hills see) all over Cheshire (also very flat) but I used to be driven mad by the number of punctures from Hawthorn needles.

I believe there are things on the market to help prevent punctures. Are they any good?
Morph

Post by Morph »

DaveCon wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:21 am This thread has really sparked my interest in getting an eBike. I used to do a lot of MTB riding but gave up because where I live now everywhere is seriously uphill :( Perhaps a little electric boost is what I need.

I used to do a lot of riding down towpaths (no hills see) all over Cheshire (also very flat) but I used to be driven mad by the number of punctures from Hawthorn needles.

I believe there are things on the market to help prevent punctures. Are they any good?
Yes, I use Slime inner tubes on the MTB and don't get flats.
My last puncture was because I had knocked the valve off!
Conscious this is an e-bike thread, not MTB, I'll shut up.
The lightest piece of kit is the one you leave behind...
DaveCon

Post by DaveCon »

Morph wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:31 am Conscious this is an e-bike thread, not MTB, I'll shut up.
:lol: Still relevant :lol:

We've got as far as page 6 and still "on topic". That's got to be approaching a record :shock: ;)
WIBO

Post by WIBO »

DaveCon wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:39 am
Morph wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:31 am Conscious this is an e-bike thread, not MTB, I'll shut up.
:lol: Still relevant :lol:

We've got as far as page 6 and still "on topic". That's got to be approaching a record :shock: ;)
Here ya go then.....

I don't agree with the vast sums of money being spent on space travel when there are homeless people who could be homed for the same budget ...I don't care if there's a new star out there.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:D
Will It Buff Out?

Return to “BIKES”