The next step....

The Things We Ride
garyboy

Re: The next step....

Post by garyboy »

brill video/pics 8-) 8-)

you'd have thought this pneumatic tyre (puncture) thing would have been sorted by now :?
DaveCon

Post by DaveCon »

minkyhead wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:28 am ...
however it proceeded with its brambles and thorns to give me the mother of all time punctures .....i shit you not i had a spare tube ..and then that went ,,and i ended up putting 5 patches on the best one ..i were there for a long time .. i had slime scabs ..and im not convinced by them but they got me home ..bloody good job it wernt raining though

heres the thing these big tyres have a metal ring ..a bead the same as a motorbike ...and after much effing and blinding and having the tube out four times ...yes honest ..i sealed it .....but with me hand pump and big floatation tyres i couldnt get it to seat..i limped home with a unseated tyre like a billiard ball out of true ....
i got it home and put me compressor on it and it only popped on the rim at 60psi ..so i learned summet

ive been busy all night googling anti puncture tyres ..there are some but nowt in a 2.6 tyre 2.1 being the nearest ..so ive ordered tubes and kevelar tyre liners ....i cant get anything in my size and although reviews can have you bog eyed for waht im doing ive found the smart sam tyres pretty good .. so im going to try and line them

Punctures mmm? :roll: I don't think bike tyres have quite got it resolved yet. Ive read good reports about "tubeless ready" which is one step back from full tubeless, and there's also slime additive for innertubes or pre-filled slime innertubes.

Like you Minkyhead, I'm still learning all this so perhaps someone can put me straight but...
because tubeless and tubeless ready don't use inner tubes, they use a liquid silicon to seal the spokes and rim and this in effect acts as a sealant for punctures. I've read good reports; there are advantages/disadvantages to full tubeless in performance terms but that's beyond me at the moment. When I ordered my bike I asked for tubeless ready but apparently it was my rims that were tubeless ready and the tyres were not. Something about a steel bead in the tyre not being flexible enough so I needed a set of kevlar beaded tyres (an extra £70 please + all the sealant and tape). I think you found your steel bead problem :lol:

According to the salesman (who rides MTB's) pre-filled slime innertubes are just as good as tubeless ready for my pootling about, so I'll be fitting them soon. He said the slime additive is not very good.

I didn't know about kevlar liners tho ;)
minkyhead

Post by minkyhead »

well there you go

i fitted both tyres with the slime innertubes and although ive had good succsess on me motorbikes these were usless

they were the classic thorn punctures tiny holes and your supposed to remove the object and inflate ..mine just pissed green slime out ..i think it may not have worked so well as i couldnt get the tyre to inflate quick enough ..so maby not enough pressure to shove the green crap into the holes ?? but with a ordinary pump it was usless if you look at the tyre picture you cansee the green shit come out ...it was usful for finding all the punctures with the tube out
the slime scabs were handy but not as good as a proper patch ..they did better than the tube ..and are a good temporary patch if its dry ..thankfully i had a spare tube and just like a dirtbike its essential i think ..im going to carry two

i used to use c02 before mini compressors were born but they wernt great on a big motorbike tyre ..but im looking into getting some c02s ..
this product has some decent rviews ..but there is talk of two cartridges per mountain bike tyre . but also 100 psi ...still its got to be better than the fecking about i had
i were wondering if there is anyway of getting power from the battery for a mini compressor

im gonna call in at the shop and ask the chaps there for advice ..

http://www.lezyne.com/product-CO2-infl- ... paUNGrFLBU
whats the wether forcast ..wheres me map
DaveCon

Post by DaveCon »

Interesting short vid by a guy who's not so fond of Kevlar liners...
minkyhead

Post by minkyhead »

ive ordered them of course

went to the shop today ..at least these guys are ..pretty switched on riders ... not just salesmen

after a conflab ive ordered a stans tubless conversion set on their say so ...apparantly the stans stuff seals thorn punctures instantly ..and me rims are tubless ready ? ..but ill still need to carry a tube for slash punctures glass metal ect ...terminal so to speak ..which are so far a zero oucurrance ...never say never ..but thats no problem to thow a couple of spare tubes in the boot

ill let you know how the mop flops

i drilled the rims for shreader valves wich i prefer for the compressor and the slime tiubes had them so i have to wait until the shreader tubless valves are in stock ..dont like the prestas anyway ... ..ive ordered the leyzine c02 set and 28 million spare cartradges ..ill get this sorted one way or another .. :evil:

they tel me i t will instantly seal with the stans set up but their main concern as serius mountain hoppers is pinch punctures as they are pretty advanced rock riders .... and dont dewell in the swamps and hedgrows like fat old men but the thorn punctures will seal in their dozons ..so they say :ugeek: .apparantly .thats why there is so few snakeskin options off road ..they dont grip as well with the armour and pinch punctures on the rims is the advanced boys main enemy ....very exciting ...

..so what the heck ill tale their advice ..see how it goes next week when i get it done

as a aside the five scab patches still have the tyre up ???

anyone want some kevlar liners :D
DaveCon

Post by DaveCon »

20180304_103324.jpg
20180304_103324.jpg (156.85 KiB) Viewed 3642 times
Fun in the snow and ice on an eMTB. It's so easy to get up to full speed I got a bit carried away and ended up going sideways a few time but any large drifts it flew over with minimal effort. On a normal road it's easy to get beyond 15mph and hit the limiter which is like suddenly riding through syrup - which is annoying. But hit an incline (there's one rough section I struggle to get up) and it's no bother - which is immensely satisfying (definitely not cheating :| )

Funny thing is, there seems to be a delay after I stop peddling before the motor stops of about a second, enough to give you a "wooah" feeling if your approaching an obstruction a bit quick or close. However if you get in a rhythm it flies along with little effort :D
minkyhead

Post by minkyhead »

snows gone up here dave 7 degrees ..luxury

i went out and about again ..the patched tube held up ..i got the c02 thing and two tubes in the post ...and therew em in the boot
whicle im waiting for the tubless kit to come together

all went well and right at the end as i poped out on the road ..bloody pucture

anyway i had a new tube and im getting faster ..thorn again removed ... new tube inserted ..ive no patches left :mrgreen: so heres the test of the new lezyne valve c02 pumper thingy

i inflated the tube a little and the valve control was very good for this ...happy so far

1st a cartarige went in the tyre fine ....super around18/20 psi at guess from a16oz bottle ..bead still off

so spurred on and very excited i screwed in the 2nd ... 8-)

mistake ? i forgot to put the rubber cover over the cartaridge ...and forgot to close the valve ,,it proceeded to piss the whole cartaridge into the air and then froze me hand solid to the cartaridge ....oops :ugeek:

you may notice on the 2nd application my hand appears with me glove on :D

anyway lesson learned ?? i then tried to inflate it with the valve shut FFS :evil: ..had truoble getting to release the valve ...but it went in after i done it right and hallalulia the bead popped on ..so al in all for a first time user it was good ..it did what it said it would

its quite a big tyre and wheel 29x2.6 and i reacon two 16 gm cartaridges are about right ..if a i had a smaller wheel and maby a narrower tyre i think a 25g would be near spot on for a one hit inflation .i will carry a mini pump just in case

anyway me two new tubes are intact so hopfully get the conversion kit done this week and they can be me backups

there must be 8 holes in the tyre now already probably more so be interesting to see if it seals after intallation ,,,

all good fun ... i can deffo recommend the lezyne thingy ...just close the valve or you will weld you hand to it ...shame i had no patches left i were getting a nice pattern going

braaaap 8-)

DaveCon

Post by DaveCon »

minkyhead wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:37 pm i can deffo recommend the lezyne thingy ...just close the valve or you will weld you hand to it ...shame i had no patches left i were getting a nice pattern going
I'm not surprised you got in a muddle; photo's, vid, 7deg is still cold enough, and using new gear for the first time :? I always thought there was a limit to how many patches you could put on a tyre. Two or three were my limit before a new tube was needed.

I must admit I've taken the cowards way out and only going on trails where I'm unlikely to get a puncture :roll: Now the weathers better I'll be doing a fly-by to Decathlon and trawling their isles for stuff. I know, I know, some people think Decathlon stuff is cheap rubbish but I like it :P
minkyhead

Post by minkyhead »

got a round to the tubless conversion and it went ok

tape wasnt as easy as they make it look in the videos but a bit of heat smoothed things out
i were worried that it wouldnt seal cos of all the punctures but the white stuff came out of the holes and then stopped and sealed them

tyres have held up all day at25psi so its looking good 8-)
hoping the thorn punctures will be elimnated .....

hooray :)

ImageSSS by minkyhead56, on Flickr

minkyhead

Post by minkyhead »

well still at it and i really have taken to it ....just a leisure rider with a few scary bit here and there ....managed to clock up 2000 mile s and two stones lighter now :shock: ... pretty much all off road though ...

having trapsed a fair bit through johnny forigner land ..i still think the uk is the best :D ...ok to visit abroad but ...im more than happy with the uk for all its faults .. no place like home 8-)

braaaaap

Return to “BIKES”