The next step....

The Things We Ride
johnnyboxer

Re: The next step....

Post by johnnyboxer »

Simon_100 wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:18 pm I'm signing up for the thread for different reasons. There's no real threat about access to trails here but rather the years are passing with horrific speed and I'm thinking about the time when I'll want to hang up the keys for good - not helped by a good friend of mine breaking his back while touring in Italy earlier this year making me get to thinking ...

So, with the amazing Niva's ability to get just about anywhere you could possibly imagine - certainly on trails I'd never contemplate doing on my own with some wild camping kit on board - and something like that Bultaco Brinco on a rear rack - even my Beta Alp is too heavy for the drawbar weight limit :( - and there's virtually no limit.

Sure beats stamp collecting or building a model railway ... :lol:

Regs

Simon
I can see your logic Simon and I can strap the eMTB into my Hilux and head off to the remoter areas of europe - you have sown a seed now

Also for me was the exercise spin off, which I am woefully shy of and it increases my stamina/fitness/balance for riding my trials bike
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
Simon_100

Post by Simon_100 »

johnnyboxer wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:43 amI can see your logic Simon and I can strap the eMTB into my Hilux and head off to the remoter areas of europe - you have sown a seed now

Also for me was the exercise spin off, which I am woefully shy of and it increases my stamina/fitness/balance for riding my trials bike
I'll see you here then Johnny. Warming to the subject a little, some of the most lovely scenery in Spain is in Navarre and Cantabria, both of which have extremely limited access for motors. So the 4x4 + eBike option is a good idea - although you wouldn't really need a 4x4 we've got to have some street cred! :lol:

Regs

Simon
Be sure to visit www.thespanishbiker.com the invaluable guide to motorcycling in Spain - plus guided rides, HISS Events* and off road touring support service

*Highly Informal Sojourns in Spain
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

Spain sounds good

With money we don't have

Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

We have some friends in Northern Italy who have just spent 3 months cycling from Venice, across Italy, South of France, along the Pyrenees, across North of Spain and down to Lisbon in Portugal by using roads, cycle routes, buses, trains and a plane (to get home for Christmas). Due to the slower pace they saw a lot more than we would ever see from a motorbike with a full face helmet on.
Being able to put your bike on a plane/train/bus etc opens up more and cheaper travel options especially if you've a series of friends to store your cycle until you return to continue the journey.
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
RandG

Post by RandG »

Riding an mtb does not compare to riding a motorbike, if you think it does, then maybe riding motorbikes isn't for you.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Yep doing 40 mph down the side of a mountain on an mtb is really boring ;) :lol:
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

mtb riders are far more NUTTERs than even bikers :geek:
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

RandG wrote:Riding an mtb does not compare to riding a motorbike, if you think it does, then maybe riding motorbikes isn't for you.
Both have their place
Some may say an eMTB is actually just as much or more fun

With money we don't have

johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

Tonibe63 wrote:We have some friends in Northern Italy who have just spent 3 months cycling from Venice, across Italy, South of France, along the Pyrenees, across North of Spain and down to Lisbon in Portugal by using roads, cycle routes, buses, trains and a plane (to get home for Christmas). Due to the slower pace they saw a lot more than we would ever see from a motorbike with a full face helmet on.
Being able to put your bike on a plane/train/bus etc opens up more and cheaper travel options especially if you've a series of friends to store your cycle until you return to continue the journey.
Sounds like a good trip

There was a chap Andrew Charnley who set off RTW on a motorbike - it broke down irreparably in Middle East
He dumped it - bought a cycle (having never cycled since being a kid) bodged his luggage on and cycled off around Far East
He proclaimed it was the perfect way to go RTW and more flexible and cheaper

With money we don't have

minkyhead

Post by minkyhead »

RandG wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:50 pm Riding an mtb does not compare to riding a motorbike, if you think it does, then maybe riding motorbikes isn't for you.
depends on the rider ...

:D

whats the wether forcast ..wheres me map

Return to “BIKES”