The next step....

The Things We Ride
SteveW

Re: The next step....

Post by SteveW »

Nobody has mentioned reliability of ebikes.
I've got two ebikes one is a Cube with a Chinese Fun8 motor......that's been totally reliable for three years.
My other is a Hiabike with the Yamaha motor. This bike is currently in the shop waiting for a new motor (under warranty).....that will be its 3rd motor in just under 2 years.
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

quote mikekitts81

this is brill 8-)
petecam

Post by petecam »

Im seriously getting interested in this idea.

I have my F800 which does well for light trail riding duties but I don't have room for an Enduro bike as well. There are loads of trails near my house that are footpaths and bridalways. I have ridden them on standard mountain bikes and I am relatively fit, however when it gets muddy its just a chore trying to pedal through slop......I assume I can progress much quicker on an eBike ?

Looking around I really like what Specialized have to offer, they look like they have been designed as eBikes and not a push bike with a add on battery......

cheers
crofty

Post by crofty »

SteveW wrote
Nobody has mentioned reliability of ebikes.
I've got two ebikes one is a Cube with a Chinese Fun8 motor......that's been totally reliable for three years.
My other is a Hiabike with the Yamaha motor. This bike is currently in the shop waiting for a new motor (under warranty).....that will be its 3rd motor in just under 2 years.
Both my bikes have hub motors. The Oxygen E mate has a Dapu m155 250w and the Carrera Kraken a Bafang high torque 8FUN CST motor 350w. Both have been very reliable and in the 3 years I have had the bikes they have covered over 5000 miles. Both batteries have Samsung cells. The 15Ah battery on the Oxygen still gives 50 miles assistance on gentle to moderate hills. The Carrera with a 13Ah returns about 35 miles on the same kind of terrain typical around my area.
geordy paul

Post by geordy paul »

SteveW wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:42 pm Nobody has mentioned reliability of ebikes.
Me too. Three ebikes all bosch powered, all had needed new motors.
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

Well, first decent rides over the Xmas break

These things are awesome, you can go to so many new places and explore and 20 miles is a breeze offroad

Makes me start to wonder why I bother with a trail bike, all that tax/MOT and road insurance malarkey

My eBike is proving to be good fun
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
Old Git Ray

Post by Old Git Ray »

I have been chewing the fat over getting a couple of these for the boss and I.

I have a DRZ400 and she has a road legal 350 Honda Quad that, where we live in Gt Yarmouth, we cannot use anywhere (almost). Using a farm quad on the road is not much fun.

The bonus is that we could strap them onto the back of our camper van and just feck off anywhere.

Looks like I will have a bit more space in my garage soon.

PS, keeping the S10 though.
Last edited by Old Git Ray on Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Personally still love riding mtb on local trails and don't need an electric bike for that, I also have an all round bike that I use for shopping mainly towing a trailer,14 mile round trip no problem BUT would like to fit a front wheel with motor in for longer trips, ie in the summer I towed trailer with all up weight of 42 lbs up to the coast and camped for a couple of days, the last 15 miles were a struggle and help would have been nice!
I don't want to get another bike, mine is fine, a reasonably priced front wheel that is easily changeable is worth considering.
Simon_100

Post by Simon_100 »

I'm signing up for the thread for different reasons. There's no real threat about access to trails here but rather the years are passing with horrific speed and I'm thinking about the time when I'll want to hang up the keys for good - not helped by a good friend of mine breaking his back while touring in Italy earlier this year making me get to thinking ...

So, with the amazing Niva's ability to get just about anywhere you could possibly imagine - certainly on trails I'd never contemplate doing on my own with some wild camping kit on board - and something like that Bultaco Brinco on a rear rack - even my Beta Alp is too heavy for the drawbar weight limit :( - and there's virtually no limit.

Sure beats stamp collecting or building a model railway ... :lol:

Regs

Simon
Be sure to visit www.thespanishbiker.com the invaluable guide to motorcycling in Spain - plus guided rides, HISS Events* and off road touring support service

*Highly Informal Sojourns in Spain
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

Old Git Ray wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:44 pm I have been chewing the fat over getting a couple of these for the boss and I.

I have a DRZ400 and she has a road legal 350 Honda Quad that, where we live in Gt Yarmouth, we cannot use anywhere (almost). Using a farm quad on the road is not much fun.

The bonus is that we could strap them onto the back of our camper van and just feck off anywhere.

Looks like I will have a bit more space in my garage soon.

PS, keeping the S10 though.
That was my logic too

Although in N Yorks we still have a few lanes still open for vehicles - however east of Hawes in the Dales, there is only 1.5-2 days worth of trails left open (whereas pre NERC there was a whole weeks worth of lanes) and there is always pressure on these lanes, additionally they are pretty easy now too and a few have been completely regraded so that you could do them on a 250kg GSA, with ease

Also the Dales National Park (in conjunction with other agencies) is spending £223,000 on a 12 mile MTB 'highway' through Swaledale - so you can guess where the Park's focus is

Combined with the fact we have a lot of natural MTB terrain locally (but with big hills - hence the eMTB) and 3-4 (free to use) MTB trail parks locally it has really become a good idea

I had been considering splashing some cash on a new(er) enduro bike, but something has been holding me back - a niggle in the back of my mind, I guess

So i decided to keep the XR400 as it does all the remaining trails fine and buy the Levo eMTB instead

It has proved a good decision so far and I love going out on it
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like

Return to “BIKES”