The next step....

The Things We Ride
Hoggyf

Re: The next step....

Post by Hoggyf »

How would it work if you had a Ebike with more than 250W motor and higher than 15mph but switched so it was only 15mph and 250W on the road, bit like a restrictor?
only release full power when in an approved practise area and never ever use it on the road :mrgreen:
Then:
Honda MB5, Honda MBX125, 350LC, RGV250, MTX125, GasGas JTX250, CM 644 DS, BMW R1100S, Beta Rev3 250, Beta Rev4T, Honda XL700V Transalp, BMW F800 GS, Kawasaki Super Sherpa
Now:
Montesa 4RT, Triumph Tiger 800, Beta Alp, Montesa 315
frenchy3

Post by frenchy3 »

Most of the sellers on ebay will sell you a powerful bike capable of 30mph/500 or 1000w but supply it limited to 15mph but actually tell you how to change the setting back to full power. I have been looking at them for a while now.
minkyhead

Post by minkyhead »

Hoggyf wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:37 pm How would it work if you had a Ebike with more than 250W motor and higher than 15mph but switched so it was only 15mph and 250W on the road, bit like a restrictor?
only release full power when in an approved practise area and never ever use it on the road :mrgreen:
there are a few about ..one that consistantly crops up with good reviews is the badass

they are electronic boxes that fool the controlers into thinking they are going slower ..10mph is 5mph ect ..and they work pretty well they can be clipped on for off road if you want to keep legal

this all sounds good but twice the speed will equal three times the battery drain ...my e bike will go around 15 miles on the high turbo setting on the tar ....put that in a off road woody area and that will halve ..to 8 miles ...dongle it a nd it will more than halve again

the other difficulty is gearing unless you want your legs spinning like a catherine wheel you would have to gear up on the road ..that would be ok for me on a hybrid ..less extream bike but the full braap bikes would have all their gearing raised too

on balence you could fit one and do around 20 mph on eco or tour and still get a reasonable range ..maby 25 miles maby a bit more ...but if your doing a steady twenty you still need to pedal; and wind resistance and friction will increase and unless you up your work rate you will be using the power up modes more
i can see the appeal in a lot of ways but the payback will always be range ..also wear rates on gearing cassettes are mentioned quite a lot ..it would seem a sensible to be riding a bike fitted with decent higher end brakes too

for me 15/16 mph is fine .. on a flat road with pumped up tyres on eco it can go 60plus miles ...the reality is with mixed modes ..hill assist ect 40 miles is more in the zone ..think of a real steep hill the o/e bike will romp up that at 14mph in full braap mode ..ive tried it with it switched off and im straining me nuts off at 3/4 mph ..but use the full braap mode only for real tough stuff fo a few minsand the range stays pretty usful that way ..the nice part is i can hit a quite scary 30odd mph the other side ....thats well fast enough for sure

theres loads out there that have geared up and hit 40/and even 50kms and hour ..but is that really what its all about ??with three dirtbikes in tha garage designed for the job i really dont see the point

the badass seems to work real well and the nice bit is that it can be removed but the payback is practical range /or time on the bike
Last edited by minkyhead on Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
whats the wether forcast ..wheres me map
frenchy3

Post by frenchy3 »

Some of the bikes are pedal assisted only but the quick ones have a twist grip or thumb operated throttle.
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

Assisted up to 15 mph is plenty fast enough. I wouldn't mess about with mine.
Like Minky says, range would suffer, so would wear and tear....brakes, cassette and chain.
Fastest I've done on mine is 37mph, down a big hill on tarmac......not pleasant!
Fit, good cyclists on road bikes will leave you behind if you're on a mountain ebike on the flat or down hill, but up hill you'll catch them up.
Treadtrader

Post by Treadtrader »

This thread has got me searching for an Ebike again.
While I love trail biking,, the restrictions that have happened over the years have made owning one almost redundant.
The area I live offers so many Public footpaths and bridleways that can be accessed by bike an Ebike makes sense.
The keep fit aspect attracts too, they still need pedalling.
Contact email [email protected] or pm.
captinktm

Post by captinktm »

SteveW wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:36 pm Assisted up to 15 mph is plenty fast enough. I wouldn't mess about with mine.
Like Minky says, range would suffer, so would wear and tear....brakes, cassette and chain.
Fastest I've done on mine is 37mph, down a big hill on tarmac......not pleasant!
Fit, good cyclists on road bikes will leave you behind if you're on a mountain ebike on the flat or down hill, but up hill you'll catch them up.
I don't get it! So I am out walking with my family minding my own business, got the dogs with me as well, I hear a motorbike coming so gather them up and stand to one side. The rider passes with a wave and we walk on. Next day walking down the same track and without any warning a f'in E bike comes round the corner at 20 plus and piles into us? The world as truly gone mad! These e bikes will be banned within 5 years then what you going to do get a horse :lol:
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

Treadtrader wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:42 am This thread has got me searching for an Ebike again.
While I love trail biking,, the restrictions that have happened over the years have made owning one almost redundant.
The area I live offers so many Public footpaths and bridleways that can be accessed by bike an Ebike makes sense.
The keep fit aspect attracts too, they still need pedalling.
Yep, agree with that
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

captinktm wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:07 am
SteveW wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:36 pm Assisted up to 15 mph is plenty fast enough. I wouldn't mess about with mine.
I don't get it! So I am out walking with my family minding my own business, got the dogs with me as well, I hear a motorbike coming so gather them up and stand to one side.
The rider passes with a wave and we walk on. Not usually, trail riders are chastised by walkers

Next day walking down the same track and without any warning a f'in E bike comes round the corner at 20 plus and piles into us?

The world as truly gone mad!

These e bikes will be banned within 5 years then what you going to do get a horse :lol:
Don't be silly..................we have a bell and are limited to 15mph :mrgreen:
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
captinktm

Post by captinktm »

johnnyboxer wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:19 am
captinktm wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:07 am
I don't get it! So I am out walking with my family minding my own business, got the dogs with me as well, I hear a motorbike coming so gather them up and stand to one side.
The rider passes with a wave and we walk on. Not usually, trail riders are chastised by walkers

Next day walking down the same track and without any warning a f'in E bike comes round the corner at 20 plus and piles into us?

The world as truly gone mad!

These e bikes will be banned within 5 years then what you going to do get a horse :lol:
Don't be silly..................we have a bell and are limited to 15mph :mrgreen:
What? Read the post above from Steve, he got 37 on a hill on the road so no reason 20 down hill on a foot path is not possible. Besides 15 mph will be seen as too fast by the public. What? your going to ride along dinging your bell :lol:

Return to “BIKES”