ideal trail/adventure bike?

The Things We Ride
minkyhead

Re: ideal trail/adventure bike?

Post by minkyhead »

you rode that big katoom really well .. thats the problem with picking bikes up ..they very rarely fall in the easy places ,its mostly the awkward steep rocky or slippy places ..that make the picking up a tad more interesting

i guess were veering off topic a bit but my ideal bike wouldnt weigh over 150 all in loaded ..true spilt ratio gearbox low 123 high 456 ..40/to50hp 220 mile range on 14 litres ectect ....

i guess we all know what we want as individuals but getting it is somthing else .

..back to the unicorn.... big unicorn or small one ..nowt wrong with having different dreams
whats the wether forcast ..wheres me map
scutty

Post by scutty »

Minky - are you just describing my bike? :P
CRF500L.png
CRF500L.png (1.13 MiB) Viewed 1752 times
captinktm

Post by captinktm »

minkyhead wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:10 pm i travel pretty light 40 litres 20kgms and thats it ..... the ccm or the crf 250s are more than enough to lift aound 150/160 fully loaded ..its not always the lift of the bike its the position its lyes in ..off camber tank below the wheels muddy as feck .... cross rutted ..under a tree ?? :D ectect

200kgms 60kgmsof luggage and 25kgms of petrol doesnt sound like fun to me all these demos of handlebar lifts and cable tieing the front brake and using you legs are all well and good on the front lawn ... but in practice thay can be pretty usless

light is might for me 140/50 kgms 40hp will do me fine

Imageaaa 2 by minkyhead56, on Flickr
No one said it was good fun picking up a 280kg bike. But I ride solo so what do you think I do, I have no choice but get on with it. What does help on my bike is the crash bars. They also have small panniers in them and these helps role the bike back up. As for doing it on the front lawn, no thanks I only do it when I have to.
Brenhden

Post by Brenhden »

Hmm, well I've read all your comments, can we Jerry rig the perfect bike out of stuff that already exists?

Take the engine and suspension from a 950 adventure, the frame and gearbox from a DR350, fuel tanks of a CCM 450. The front off a rally raid 690. Reliability of a CRF250L.

Any good?
And now, Harry, let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure.

Suzuki DR200 Djebel.
🇬🇧🇫🇷🇧🇪🇱🇺🇪🇸🇬🇷🇩🇪
captinktm

Post by captinktm »

Brenhden wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:17 pm Hmm, well I've read all your comments, can we Jerry rig the perfect bike out of stuff that already exists?

Take the engine and suspension from a 950 adventure, the frame and gearbox from a DR350, fuel tanks of a CCM 450. The front off a rally raid 690. Reliability of a CRF250L.

Any good?
I'd buy it ...........no I would n't. I have what I think is the right adv bike for me. But it's strange no one asked for more power or electronic's but that is all the manufacturers have given us.
Brenhden

Post by Brenhden »

captinktm wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:25 pm
Brenhden wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:17 pm Hmm, well I've read all your comments, can we Jerry rig the perfect bike out of stuff that already exists?

Any good?
I'd buy it ...........no I would n't. I have what I think is the right adv bike for me. But it's strange no one asked for more power or electronic's but that is all the manufacturers have given us.
If you're off road there must come a point where you have too much power and the throttle is too responsive.

Talking of electrics if you had engine maps that flicked between 40hp low torque and 100hp autobahn mode that would be cool but I think that would need FI and then you would have euro emission controls and it would all go wrong. In the 690 cockpit a nav tower with a montana but with a larger screen that included the other controls for the bike and wifi for transfering gpx and bluetooth for your directions/music etc.

But really none of that is essential and in comparison with a decent frame sus and engine.
And now, Harry, let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure.

Suzuki DR200 Djebel.
🇬🇧🇫🇷🇧🇪🇱🇺🇪🇸🇬🇷🇩🇪
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

Godspeed wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:33 pm

Ha ha, I’m not joking so I ride a C90 off road, and if it falls over I usually just laugh :lol:
2C1709FD-EF15-42E6-A277-C5E259C0789E.jpeg16C03A41-EEAC-46AD-817F-54AFDCD0DEDD.jpeg
I used to ride some of those Wiltshire lanes around Swindon on a little ke100 .. and when it got stuck, it could mean an hour of backbreak to get it out on me own :geek: ..
and that was on the flat :lol:
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

captinktm wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:41 am
The problem with changing the seat height is you completely wreck (improve!!) the ergonomics of the bike. Foot pegs and handle bar and seats are position where they are for a reason.
:D
:lol:

the ergonomics of a TALL bike are designed for a TALL person.
short house persons (eg moi) need short housings for us bums :lol:
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

weight ... on the other hand .. I was marshalling for the taffy Dakar a few years back (eating sarnies on a log wiv me mate, watching the south Africans slip up hill, well down hill actually? on GS1200's .. when (after moving our butts) we met up with that simon pavey blokie ... huh!! .. sick or wot!! .. he wuz riding his GS1200 around on road tyres (thro very slippy mud n stuff) making it look like a pleasant sunday school day out :roll:

don't you just hate that? :lol:
diggermanbob

Post by diggermanbob »

minkyhead wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:10 pm i travel pretty light 40 litres 20kgms and thats it ..... the ccm or the crf 250s are more than enough to lift aound 150/160 fully loaded ..its not always the lift of the bike its the position its lyes in ..off camber tank below the wheels muddy as feck .... cross rutted ..under a tree ?? :D ectect

200kgms 60kgmsof luggage and 25kgms of petrol doesnt sound like fun to me all these demos of handlebar lifts and cable tieing the front brake and using you legs are all well and good on the front lawn ... but in practice thay can be pretty usless

light is might for me 140/50 kgms 40hp will do me fine

Imageaaa 2 by minkyhead56, on Flickr
. Totally agree with you Steve travel light a ttr with a couple of wolfies and lightweight tent sorted !!

Return to “BIKES”