ideal trail/adventure bike?

The Things We Ride
garyboy

Re: ideal trail/adventure bike?

Post by garyboy »

the size of the ruts are the same whether you have ..an enviable inside leg or ..miss out on fun days :lol:
(riding trails)
that is why I say my ideal bike (as manufactured by the big companies) would have an adjustable seat height
ok, admittedly, this would mean an adjustable handlebar and foot peg adjustment
for suited ergonomics

.. so that rut ability (ground clearance) is the same on any size bike, and any size rider ? surely? 8-)
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

experts in trials
are penalised if they dab a foot on the ground

but even experts need to dab sometimes ? :) 8-)

and trials bikes are short? :mrgreen:
Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

When I started trail riding and rallies I found that once I'd fallen off a few times and realised it didn't hurt too much I preferred a taller bike.
I found when standing on the pegs I rode the bike soo much better.
Sitting down with feet on pegs mean't I was losing control.
Sitting down and paddling feet mean't the tail was wagging the dog.
For me most problems come from slowing down too much and relying on traction to pull you through .......... which often ended in tears, even worse trying to get going from a standing start was plain hard work.
Momentum is your friend so choose you places to stop and if in doubt about an obstacle then gas gas gas.
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
captinktm

Post by captinktm »

garyboy wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:49 am I don't see how anyone can deny that a short bike is suited to short people and a tall bike is suited to tall people. :D

if a tall bike is suited to a short person then an extremely tall bike must be suited to a tall person? ? .. ?

it is the ground clearance that is the important factor (plus the suited ergonomics for your height)
[and of course the correct suspension set up for your weight]
Ah that's not at all what I am saying or implying. There is no such thing as a short or tall bike. You don't buy a bike like trousers do you? No you buy a style of bike, that you like the look of and suits your needs. We are talking about adv bikes but I remember in my sports bike days that most if not all were very difficult to get both feet on the ground, but it did n't sorties buying them. It does not really matter what style of bike you buy (apart from a chopper) when you start altering the ergonomics you spoil the bike. Of course your right about ground clearance, that why I would never lower a bike. It would be great if a manufacturer designed a bike for shorter folk, starting from the ground clearance and working backwards from there. I can't see why they don't use my solution and fit them with air suspension, which would be totally adjustable on the fly, for the hard of thinking it could be automatic, as you slow down the bike lowers. Or a cheaper option could be air soles :D which inflated as you slowed down. :lol:
captinktm

Post by captinktm »

garyboy wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:24 am experts in trials
are penalised if they dab a foot on the ground

but even experts need to dab sometimes ? :) 8-)

and trials bikes are short? :mrgreen:
Trials bikes are short for a reason. Try riding one all day (which I have) it's proper death, and the panniers drag.
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

Tonibe63 wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:27 am When I started trail riding and rallies I found that once I'd fallen off a few times and realised it didn't hurt too much I preferred a taller bike.
For me most problems come from slowing down too much and relying on traction to pull you through .......... which often ended in tears, even worse trying to get going from a standing start was plain hard work.
Momentum is your friend so choose you places to stop and if in doubt about an obstacle then gas gas gas.
must admit .. a taller bike seems to handle better on the trails 8-)
but without the option of dabbing etc my confidence waned
and fear of falling, especially at an ancient age, or at novice level (or perpetual novice level :roll: moi)
was debilitating
and actually falling .. a painful disaster :geek:

[[perhaps its just me ?]]

Last edited by garyboy on Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:40 am, edited 5 times in total.
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

captinktm wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:32 am
Trials bikes are short for a reason. Try riding one all day (which I have) it's proper death, and the panniers drag.
the mind boggles :lol:
hold that thought :D
I like it 8-)
captinktm

Post by captinktm »

garyboy wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:34 am
Tonibe63 wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:27 am When I started trail riding and rallies I found that once I'd fallen off a few times and realised it didn't hurt too much I preferred a taller bike.
must admit .. a taller bike seems to handle better on the trails 8-)
but without the option of dabbing etc my confidence waned
and fear of falling, especially at an ancient age, or at novice level (or perpetual novice level :roll: moi)
was debilitating
and actually falling .. a painful disaster :geek:

[[perhaps its just me ?]]

Trying to convince a novice that going faster is easier and they will crash less as always been a problem. The difference between a clubman and an expert is not that great but getting from one speed to the next can and will involve soil sampling. This of course is best don't when you are young :D
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

what annoys me .. and it shouldn't in this age of equal rights n stuff ..
is how GIRLS are better riders on trails than me :mrgreen:

I been wooped quite a few times by girlies on trails :roll:
and have struggled to keep up
admittedly they are a lot younger than me (they will be chuffed to hear) but have the confidence, straight away, that I have been trying for, for several years now .. but I started late , [and still struggling] ... but slowly getting there :lol:

I just go very slow, on dangerous trails (that's all of them, to me :roll: ) as I am alone these days,
as trail riding seems to have waned a lot around here recently
unless they are all going out in their own little cliques ? 8-)
Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

A bit off topic but to ride quicker you need to ride with riders quicker than you, not to become a racer but purely for the fact that momentum is your friend which as a solo rider can have implications.
There are so many benefits to riding in a group from watching what does/doesn't work, what tyres are best and also picking up new techniques/bike.
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.

Return to “BIKES”