Need advice on my first adventure bike...

The Things We Ride
buddy13

Need advice on my first adventure bike...

Post by buddy13 »

I have 'toured' Sicily on my '09 Fireblade on a few occasions, most recently with my better half as pillion. I don't think it's the right bike for the job...

Apart from that, I feel I have outgrown the crazy fast, ready to kill you at any time, hunched over sportbike craze.

I am now looking for a decent adventure bike on which I can tour Europe on these next years. I plan to keep the bike for a long time so it must be worth its salt.

I plan to ride 70/30 Road/Offroad. Nothing extreme, just the odd bit of country roads & sandy coast lines,but dont want an unpaved road to stop me. I will be riding with a pillion and carrying a good 30kg in luggage for a 3-5 day trip.

We are slim and medium tall so we do not need a big bike. Anything over 800cc would certainly be overkill. Riding most of the time off highways at a relaxed pace.

Bike must have budget maintenance costs and I dont want to be fearful of tipping over its side on a gravel road.

For the last months, I have been meticulously reading reviews and trying to decide on which bike would best suit my needs. I have come with the below shortlist.

- Suzuki DL650 V-strom 2017 - anything before that looks too fugly. Sorry!
- BMW F700 GS 2013/2014 - I like this bike. But I like the F800 GS fairing/looks better :oops:
- BMW F80 GS 2009/2011 - I probably wont afford anything newer than this year of build. I dont need a 21 inch wheel, but I like the look of this better than the 700! I aklso like the adjustable suspension and high seat does not bother me.
- Yamaha Tracer 700 2016 - If I were to ride road only, this would be my bike of choice ( I think). Is it hopeless in offroad? Is it too small?
- Triumph Tiger 80 XC 2014 - I like this bike, but for some reason it looks bigger and probably too heavy offroad? Parallel twin better down low?
- Yamaha Tenere XT660X 2010-2012 - This would be a bike to trash and forget about dings and scratches. But is it too buzzy to drive on a highway at 90 mph? What about pillion comfort?

I have considered other like the KTMs, Duc's and Kwaks...but I ahve dismissed them for reasons I cant be bothered to write about here, its besides the point.

As you see I cant seem to decide :?: :| ...what are your thoughts on these bikes? I would like to hear your first hand opinions! Muchos gracias comrades :D
Spike941

Re: Need advice on my first adventure bike...

Post by Spike941 »

An often asked question, but only one you can answer I'm afraid. You'll find most will recommend their current bike, but also most will agree that every bike has a compromise somewhere. You need to be guided by your wallet and test riding whatever you can afford. All your short list are I'm sure more than capable of doing what you want to do, but whether in comfort is another matter. My first Adventure bike was a Triumph Tiger 955i. Did everything I wanted it to do, 100% on tarmac, but not really that comfortable without a sheepskin seat cover. Enjoy making your choice, and don't rush. Sounds like you have youth on your side, and many happy returns btw.
socalmke

Post by socalmke »

You wnat to grow into your bike. Last thing you want is I should of....
minkyhead

Post by minkyhead »

wee strom is usless for any proper off road ..i have one as a road bike /work bike

tenere is much more up to the duel sport role .. but it aint going to tour at 90 75 is more realistic ...

out of your choices and wanting apillion id say the 800 gs is the stand out choice
whats the wether forcast ..wheres me map
zimtim

Post by zimtim »

The BMW 800 GS probably best out of your option list.

Perhaps go bigger the Yamaha 1200 tenere is a cracking bike good value, good off road and will tour easily with the two of you and your luggage
anthony29040

Post by anthony29040 »

I have owned tiger 800xc and 800 gs the gs is a better all round bike with fantastic mpg will sit on motorway at 80mph all day and is fairly comfortable if you change the seat.the tiger is a better road bike it will do the roads like you mentioned but don't expect 200 miles to the tank more like 170 to 180 but an absolute brilliant engine.I have owned a s10 aswell very good bike but heavy.hope this helps. Cheers tony.
AlanHolt

Post by AlanHolt »

On the basis of 'budget maintenance' and to not be worried about dropping it on its side, it would have to be the XT660 from your shortlist. Lots of couples RTW on these, cheap, dependable and provided you're happy to do close to the speedlimits, it should be fine on the tarmac.
Current bike is a Yamaha T7

Return to “BIKES”