Lights on?

The Things We Ride
threepot

Re: Lights on?

Post by threepot »

You could carry a 'boost' pack? I've just bought one .
Attachments
GB20-Portable-Lithium-Battery-Car-Jump-Starter-Booster-Pack-For-Jump-Starting-PT01.jpg
GB20-Portable-Lithium-Battery-Car-Jump-Starter-Booster-Pack-For-Jump-Starting-PT01.jpg (31.28 KiB) Viewed 2574 times
captinktm

Post by captinktm »

RichP wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:34 pm Whilst I agree with Chris that having a kick start as back up is reassuring there are times when even a kick start won't get a modern bike going. If you left something electrical on overnight and flattened the battery on my 500 exc I doubt very much if it could be started with the kick start as there has to be power in the battery to work the fuel pump/injection system. I carry a lithium booster pack that's not much bigger than a mobile phone and it's been an absolute godsend - they stay charged for months on end and can charge your phone / tablet if need be. I started the 2 CCMs on our recent trip probably 10 times one day and the booster only went down from 100% to 85% and it can be recharged from a cigarette lighter whilst you are riding.
I have often thought about buying one of those booster thingy's, what make was yours? Funny thing is though you saved weight on not having a KS then carry a booster? Some one else here said he carried a battery for back up. No for me far easier to keep the kick starter.

I hear what your saying on a flat battery but that's not what I was posting about really it's was the fact that you can't switch the lights off.
captinktm

Post by captinktm »

boboneleg wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:24 pm Well there's no kicker on your 'Adventure ' bike 950 :lol:
This from a one legged pirate, I am guessing a kick starter would of little use to you? :lol:
minkyhead

Post by minkyhead »

they joys of a kickstarter ....we had to do this for shris ..that big red pig was a bitch to start... magic button is underestimated ..a combo of both is desirable but very rare

even my little red pig let me down i knew summet were wrong when the lcds on the dash went weak and went out ,,,rectifier had failed ..i kinda guessed that that was the case but stupidly slowed down to stop and it just cut out ..i may have got a bit further if id kept going

luckily i were only 60 miles from home and managed to cock up a tempory lead made from me mini jump leads to me spare battery ,
and gaffa taped it into the holder .. pulled the lighting fuses and it got me back ......

point being that a spare battery has severel uses and even hondas aint immune from gremlins

ahh the joys of motorcycling

whats the wether forcast ..wheres me map
boboneleg

Post by boboneleg »

captinktm wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:44 pm

This from a one legged pirate, I am guessing a kick starter would of little use to you? :lol:

There's one on my 400 EXC and I have used it but the magic button is so much better :mrgreen:
one-legged adventurer
RichP

Post by RichP »

captinktm wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:41 pm
RichP wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:34 pm Whilst I agree with Chris that having a kick start as back up is reassuring there are times when even a kick start won't get a modern bike going. If you left something electrical on overnight and flattened the battery on my 500 exc I doubt very much if it could be started with the kick start as there has to be power in the battery to work the fuel pump/injection system. I carry a lithium booster pack that's not much bigger than a mobile phone and it's been an absolute godsend - they stay charged for months on end and can charge your phone / tablet if need be. I started the 2 CCMs on our recent trip probably 10 times one day and the booster only went down from 100% to 85% and it can be recharged from a cigarette lighter whilst you are riding.
I have often thought about buying one of those booster thingy's, what make was yours? Funny thing is though you saved weight on not having a KS then carry a booster? Some one else here said he carried a battery for back up. No for me far easier to keep the kick starter.

I hear what your saying on a flat battery but that's not what I was posting about really it's was the fact that you can't switch the lights off.
Hi Chris. The one I used was actually a free sample I got through work but it is very similar to this:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/XD-POWER-PAC ... Sw5dNWmNHe
I just took the unit, battery leads, 12 volt plug and phone lead. Didn't take up much room, doesn't weigh much but saved a lot of messing about. I also took a set of motorcycle jump leads but didn't use them at all.
Cheers
Rich
The Sarge

Post by The Sarge »

I have had the same issue with my CCM despite fitting a switch in the lighting circuit. After a recent trip to Devon the bike failed to start the following morning, heated grips, gps and headlights were all it took to kill it. I am old school, and spent $200 for a kickstart kit for my DRZ, if there was one for my DR650SE or 644 I would also buy it, my DR350 is kick only and I love the fact there is no battery to rely on. To be honest I never had a problem kickstaring bikes, it's not a macho thing it's technique, once learned never forgotten, if you ever rode an Armstrong MT600 you would know what I mean 👍

Sarge
DavidS

Post by DavidS »

I seem to be detecting a design issue with certain manufacturers here rather than a general button or kick debate.

The only time I've had battery problems was with loads of stop start on a freezing day where the heated grips were on all day. Not surprising it gave up really.

Rule number one is to keep your battery in tip top condition and don't wait for it to fail through old age before replacing it.
Ok, car batteries are a tad larger but no-one asks for a cranking handle any more.
2023 Husqvarna Norden 901
2014 KTM 690 ENDURO R
threepot

Post by threepot »

The 'boost' pack I bought is the one in the picture. About £80. There are cheaper alternatives. It s quite compact,and would easily fit in a small rucksack? And it does the job! Gives out 400 cranking amps. This model is for motorcycles,as it has smaller clamps. But you can connect it directly to the battery.Can also be used to power other devices,such as laptops,mobile phones,and has a handy torch. See them on YouTube.

The Sarge

Post by The Sarge »

DavidS wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:14 pm I seem to be detecting a design issue with certain manufacturers here rather than a general button or kick debate.

The only time I've had battery problems was with loads of stop start on a freezing day where the heated grips were on all day. Not surprising it gave up really.

Rule number one is to keep your battery in tip top condition and don't wait for it to fail through old age before replacing it.
Ok, car batteries are a tad larger but no-one asks for a cranking handle any more.

You are absolutely right David, CCM of course knew that owners of their machines might want to add accessories that will draw additional current so offered a very costly upgrade to a higher output alternator. Trouble is having spent the money the item was doomed to overheating. Batteries have improved by a country mile the lithium ion as an example, but even in tip top condition as you suggest, if the draw is greater than the power generated you are a fooked,. Folk have resorted to adding volt meters to their bikes to monitor exactly what is going on which to me confirms their lack of trust in that bike starting on the button when needed, so for the sake of a kilo here and there I would have KS as back up every time😝

Return to “BIKES”