Too much information?

The Things We Ride
captinktm

Too much information?

Post by captinktm »

Is it just me? Looking at the constant flow of new bikes currently on the web I got to thinking, have the manufacturers got it wrong. Once we would rock up the the end of year bike shows to see all next years models. Now we see spy shots (why allow these) then we get a prototype maybe a year or so early, which never has a number plate holder or anything to spoil the lines. Then the new model is all over the web in October if not months before. Or in the case of KTM the new range is out in June' ish. It's like buying a laptop, and as you walk out the door it becomes obsolete. Surely flooding the market constantly with new models is not good for business, imagine being a dealer, you buy a fleet of KTM's and before you can sell them all the new model is out (this happens all the time and you can't send them back) But I must be getting old because this obsession with new bikes the buying public have puzzles me. If you don't own and ride a bike for at least a couple of years surely you never get the best from it or even get to know it let alone recover from the money you,ve lost on the part x.

IT's me is n't it? :lol:
sprintster

Re: Too much information?

Post by sprintster »

I've got no interest in new bikes.I've been riding pretty much the same model since 2004 and have no intention of changing.It might not have many bells or whistles but it suits my riding and I can work on it myself.I would rather spend my hard earned cash travelling on this bike than losing it in depreciation on a new bike every year.
Jak*

Post by Jak* »

I am not sure about too much information and I do not know that apart from the technological means by which we get the information that much has changed. They used to publish, usually slightly blurred, photos in the green and blue un back in the day of supposed new machines leaving the gates of various British factories. I personally usually find there is very little new that interests me. The new Enfield and x85 Guzzi may be the exceptions this year.
I totally agree about the need to change bikes every year or two. I bought my GP450 with the intention that I would keep it until either I am no longer riding or legislation stops us riding petrol bike. In reality I think it will not last that long, unlike the sixty year old Norton that I have in the garage which will probably go on forever. I think the motorcycle market just reflects modern society where everyone seems to have a need to get the latest version of everything. I had a conversation with a colleague a work the other day who said she literally throws out most of her clothes about every three months and starts over again. I tend to wear stuff until it fully apart and still have clothing over twenty years old.
My experience with modern stuff, whether it is clothing, bikes, technology etc is that it does not last and is less easy and more expensive to fix when it goes wrong. With modern technology it should be the other way round but without built in obsolescence and fashion the whole capitalist system would collapse.
Cheers Jak
captinktm

Post by captinktm »

sprintster wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:42 am I've got no interest in new bikes.I've been riding pretty much the same model since 2004 and have no intention of changing.It might not have many bells or whistles but it suits my riding and I can work on it myself.I would rather spend my hard earned cash travelling on this bike than losing it in depreciation on a new bike every year.
A man on exactly the same wave length as me.
Flintlock

Post by Flintlock »

All done to keep the money coming in. I am convinced that the only reason that BMW switched the shaft drive & exhaust to the other side of the WC's GS was that all the owners of the previous models changing to a WC would not be able to keep their panniers and put them on their new bike, but would have to buy a new set thus generating extra £millions for the firm.

Some would say if the above theory was correct it would be an outrageous act.

Others would say its clever marketing.

I'll just keep my twin cam :D
captinktm

Post by captinktm »

Jak* wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:00 am I am not sure about too much information and I do not know that apart from the technological means by which we get the information that much has changed. They used to publish, usually slightly blurred, photos in the green and blue un back in the day of supposed new machines leaving the gates of various British factories. I personally usually find there is very little new that interests me. The new Enfield and x85 Guzzi may be the exceptions this year.
I totally agree about the need to change bikes every year or two. I bought my GP450 with the intention that I would keep it until either I am no longer riding or legislation stops us riding petrol bike. In reality I think it will not last that long, unlike the sixty year old Norton that I have in the garage which will probably go on forever. I think the motorcycle market just reflects modern society where everyone seems to have a need to get the latest version of everything. I had a conversation with a colleague a work the other day who said she literally throws out most of her clothes about every three months and starts over again. I tend to wear stuff until it fully apart and still have clothing over twenty years old.
My experience with modern stuff, whether it is clothing, bikes, technology etc is that it does not last and is less easy and more expensive to fix when it goes wrong. With modern technology it should be the other way round but without built in obsolescence and fashion the whole capitalist system would collapse.
Cheers Jak
I totally agree, nothing seems to be getting better or more reliable, probably as you say worse. For me I don't really mind what I pay for something as long as it's going to do the job it was intended for and last a reasonable amount of time. But if I paid 16k for a bike and it was recalled ........for anything then I want my dosh back, end of contract. But I was amazed that earlier on this forum I the amount of guys that accept recalls as part of the new bike experience?
Oh good luck with the GP 450 :D
JonnyBravo

Post by JonnyBravo »

Flintlock wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:52 am All done to keep the money coming in. I am convinced that the only reason that BMW switched the shaft drive & exhaust to the other side of the WC's GS was that all the owners of the previous models changing to a WC would not be able to keep their panniers and put them on their new bike, but would have to buy a new set thus generating extra £millions for the firm.

Some would say if the above theory was correct it would be an outrageous act.

Others would say its clever marketing.

I'll just keep my twin cam :D
+1 brother

Also sticking with my TC
When nothing is going right - go left
Morph

Post by Morph »

I'm just waiting for a turquoise frame to come back into fashion!
IMG_3634.JPG
IMG_3634.JPG (166.51 KiB) Viewed 2883 times
The lightest piece of kit is the one you leave behind...
Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

Big manufacturers are not big by accident, they follow a well researched and proven method of attracting their target audience. I do happen to agree with many of the sentiments on this thread but we are not of interest to the manufacturers however we do help keep the whole system turning over by buying in the used market and maybe an image/dream from the year our old bikes were made is still lodged in the back of our minds.
Sooner or later most things become obsolete or scrap .......... even us old dinosaurs :lol:
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.

Return to “BIKES”