Hello KTM 790 Adventure R!!

The Things We Ride
SteveW

Re: Hello KTM 790 Adventure R!!

Post by SteveW »

A great effort by Scutty, almost as good as the real thing..........
IMG_0163.JPG
IMG_0163.JPG (258.32 KiB) Viewed 2407 times
Attachments
IMG_0174.JPG
IMG_0174.JPG (351.15 KiB) Viewed 2407 times
scutty

Post by scutty »

Ah Steve - I looked at the CCM a lot (there is a very old video of my pre-release test ride here: https://youtu.be/ntRTV6xZ6fE )

But I've owned a G450X and I am not a fan of that engine and the clutch/spocket setup. For me I wanted something that can be fixed/serviced/welded anywhere in the world. Not a lot of CCM dealers outside Europe
captinktm

Post by captinktm »

scutty wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:38 pm The bike is 158 kg fully fuelled (for about 180-200 miles) and makes 47bhp and 43nm torque (pretty much double that of the CRF250L engine).
Thanks for those, for me 200 miles is not enough, traveling this year in Turkey and Kazakhstan I would have run out of juice had my limit been 200. 158 kg with 47 bhp is also not going to blow my skirt up, not when full loaded and carving up a mountain pass. I rode with a guy who had built or bolted on I should say a 500 ktm exc adv bike and he loved it, well he would having rinsed over 10k doing it. I think if your going to ship your bike somewhere interesting and then take to the mountains then these small lighter bikes are good but if you are traveling thousands of miles and like to crack on on the road then you will find their limits. But this 790 will be a nasty hole out of 12k and for that I can have 3 maybe 4 950's which will still be a better bike............for me.
scutty

Post by scutty »

Horses for courses mate - if I want to crack on on roads I'd take my 1190 or any number of big 'adventure' bikes but I wanted a long distance off-road bike, a real dual sport bike which , of course, means compromises.
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

OK personally the following hierarchy applies:

BEST

Stick a full-on light-weight enduro in a van, drive along dull autoroutes listening to great music in the warm and dry. Then unload at the bottom of the trail and have serious fun beasting it up in the hills. And I still have the van to sleep in at night on a good double mattress! And crates of wine, and....

Spend a load of pretty uncomfortable and frustrating miles riding a light-ish trail bike not very fast to my destination and then thoroughly enjoy myself off-road when I get there.

Ride a long distance on the road in comfort on a well-equipped big adv bike, only to arrive at the dirt-trails on a horrible heavy rubbish hippo incapable of tackling anything much more than gravel twin track.

WORST

(I used to apply the same kind of logic back in the days when I went to watch the European MotoGP and endurance races. Those who took a FJR1300 or VFR800 or similar had a pretty comfy relaxed trip down the autoroutes but they got tied in knots when they arrived up in the twisties. I would suffer back and wrist ache en route on my GSXR750 and then have a total hoot in the mountain passes. But I have my memories of knee-down stupidity while the tourers reflect on what a sensible time they had.)
chunky butt

Post by chunky butt »

Come on scutty, give that gorgeous bike of yours a few brothers, get it in production mate, sure there'll be few on here would be interested :D :D
captinktm

Post by captinktm »

scutty wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:40 pm Horses for courses mate - if I want to crack on on roads I'd take my 1190 or any number of big 'adventure' bikes but I wanted a long distance off-road bike, a real dual sport bike which , of course, means compromises.
A real dual sport bike? You have contradicted your self in saying your bike is a long distance offroad bike, how does that make it a dual sport? What other sport is it good at? Your of course right every man to his own. But I would say that a 950 will show your bike the way any time and any where and of course cost less or lets not get my bike involved and say a 690
I rode with a guy this year who had a 1190 r and thought he had the best adv bike ever produce, it was n't long into Turkey he found he had n't. I was amazed how top heavy the thing was, even unloaded it was a struggle for two to lift. Good on yuh for building your own bike, I have also modified mine and would n't change a thing on it now not even the weight. I was carrying 70 kg of gear and 34 liters of fuel, and 3 or water, I weigh dam near 100 kg so you have to have a bike that will carry and handle this weight. You don't want the tail wagging the dog.
captinktm

Post by captinktm »

daveuprite wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:25 pm OK personally the following hierarchy applies:

BEST

Stick a full-on light-weight enduro in a van, drive along dull autoroutes listening to great music in the warm and dry. Then unload at the bottom of the trail and have serious fun beasting it up in the hills. And I still have the van to sleep in at night on a good double mattress! And crates of wine, and....

Spend a load of pretty uncomfortable and frustrating miles riding a light-ish trail bike not very fast to my destination and then thoroughly enjoy myself off-road when I get there.

Ride a long distance on the road in comfort on a well-equipped big adv bike, only to arrive at the dirt-trails on a horrible heavy rubbish hippo incapable of tackling anything much more than gravel twin track.

WORST

(I used to apply the same kind of logic back in the days when I went to watch the European MotoGP and endurance races. Those who took a FJR1300 or VFR800 or similar had a pretty comfy relaxed trip down the autoroutes but they got tied in knots when they arrived up in the twisties. I would suffer back and wrist ache en route on my GSXR750 and then have a total hoot in the mountain passes. But I have my memories of knee-down stupidity while the tourers reflect on what a sensible time they had.)
I to realized this year I get no joy out of big mileage on the road and much prefer mountain tracks. But you have to get there. I quite enjoy coaching the 950 up tricky trails and also enjoy wild camping so like to carry all my gear with me. I also don't like to back track. So given these requirements you need a capable bike, which is always going to be bigger. I also find the only problem/restriction I have with such a large bike is the fact that it's hard to turn on single trails. Some guys came out here this year of these CCM things and then rode all the way back to the uk? Something I would never even consider. Oh and put the right rider on a VFR and he won't be left behind with a GSXR that for sure.
dave h

Post by dave h »

i will probably buy one ,i love my ktm 1050 but something with potentially 30 kg reduction in weight cant be ignored ,

dave.
scutty

Post by scutty »

captinktm wrote:
scutty wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:40 pm Horses for courses mate - if I want to crack on on roads I'd take my 1190 or any number of big 'adventure' bikes but I wanted a long distance off-road bike, a real dual sport bike which , of course, means compromises.
A real dual sport bike? You have contradicted your self in saying your bike is a long distance offroad bike, how does that make it a dual sport? What other sport is it good at? Your of course right every man to his own. But I would say that a 950 will show your bike the way any time and any where and of course cost less or lets not get my bike involved and say a 690
I rode with a guy this year who had a 1190 r and thought he had the best adv bike ever produce, it was n't long into Turkey he found he had n't. I was amazed how top heavy the thing was, even unloaded it was a struggle for two to lift. Good on yuh for building your own bike, I have also modified mine and would n't change a thing on it now not even the weight. I was carrying 70 kg of gear and 34 liters of fuel, and 3 or water, I weigh dam near 100 kg so you have to have a bike that will carry and handle this weight. You don't want the tail wagging the dog.
It's funny what different people think are dual sport bikes. For me KTM EXCs and 690s are enduro bikes, they are solely focused on off road ability at the expense of road usage. Bikes like the Versys, V-Strom, GS etc forgo most of their off road potential for road capability. For me a dual sport offers parts of both - light enough with good suspension and ground clearance for serious dirt but comfortable, smooth, and powerful enough to eat up road sections. My 1190R is a hoot on the road but it's 215kg and 150bhp is a liability off road. My buddy's 250Exc is brilliant on single track tops.out at about 60mph and needs servicing every 30 seconds (slight exaggeration but I do his servicing and it's always in my bloody garage).
How much does you 950 weigh with 35l on board? What are they 200kg dry!? I moaned about my 690 with RR tanks and that was only 175kg fuelled.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Return to “BIKES”