v low mileage crf

The Things We Ride
motorbike

v low mileage crf

Post by motorbike »

looking at a crf250l for sale..its a 14 ,but has under 10 miles.and obviously been sat doing nothing...do you think that such a low mileage is a disadvantage to engine longevity..ie just sitting in its origional oil for 3 to 4 years...opinions appreciated
herman

Re: v low mileage crf

Post by herman »

I don't see a problem as long as everything is flushed fuel system especially. Battery will be shot as will the tyres and tubes if its been sat on them for that long. The traders call it 'recommissioning' or slap it's arse and send it out.
The secret of a long life is knowing when its time to go.
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

I suspect a lot of the bikes we buy have been sat for long times.
Just a personal unprofessional opinion, but 2 and a half years is f all. to be standing.
the low miles have got to be a good thing, surely?
I doubt a bike shop will flush anything or change anything .. just sell it.
a private seller? .. don't know :?
WillS

Post by WillS »

Go for it if the price is ok, would do a service, flush the fuel and ride it.
Great little bikes. Bought mine a 2013, with only 3000km, and sure it had been sat in a farmers barn for 12 months or more, covered in dust and muck. Cleaned up a treat.
It's the first bike I have seen for sale without any attempt in cleaning it!!
Now runs great, really like the CRF250L.
Get out on those trails with it. That's what it's for!!
lancashirelad

Post by lancashirelad »

The 08 Serow I bought had done 1800 miles I changed the oil & fired it up being fuel inj it started first press n ran like a clock.
***just like Britney Spears oops I did it again……sold the Scrambler & as of now there may not be a replacement***
GFJ1

Post by GFJ1 »

Theres one on ebay at the moment with 8 miles. 3250 ono iirc. I'd have no qualms about buying it. Will still be on running in oil, so i would be tempted to leave it if levels still okay until its' 1st service at 600 miles.

Re tyres, originals arent the best off road, but if being used on road i'd keep them anyway until a tyre is needed for a more specific use.

Only observation i would make is hasnt the suspension been upgraded on the newer models? It never bothered me on the bikes i've had mind, as they are not the most extreme in standard original spec.

Return to “BIKES”