CRF250L V KLX 250

The Things We Ride
gspod

CRF250L V KLX 250

Post by gspod »

I'm sure this one has been done before so sorry if it's a repeat.

I know there is a lot of people on here that like the CRF but any KLX owners?

First off speed is not a consideration in this instance as there will not be a lot of road miles. The CRF is so popular but, on paper at least, the KLX looks a better bike:
Better and adjustable suspension. Lighter, better rider ergonomics (according to cycle ergo) and the engine doesn't stick out one side. There is an easy mod on the clutch to release a little more power, then it almost matches the Honda. They are the same price point.

Chris Scott raved about the KLX when he did part of the TAT.

So, is the Honda better than the sum of it's parts? - is it a case that the engine/clutch/gearbox is a very smooth combination and user friendly? Which would be very important in this case.

Many thanks for your views
Brenhden

Re: CRF250L V KLX 250

Post by Brenhden »

I've owned a KLX and ridden a CRF on some serious off road. They are pretty close. The CRF is slightly more comfy and better on the road, the KLX is slightly better off road. If I had to criticise the KLX I would say the dive under braking is a bit much and the tank is a little small, but off road I really liked it.

Sorry its not definitive...
And now, Harry, let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure.

Suzuki DR200 Djebel.
πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§πŸ‡«πŸ‡·πŸ‡§πŸ‡ͺπŸ‡±πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡ͺπŸ‡ΈπŸ‡¬πŸ‡·πŸ‡©πŸ‡ͺ
mungey

Post by mungey »

I`ve owned both,and personally found that I preferred the KLX .A much livelier and stronger power delivery.But really,it`s all down to whether you`re a Honda fan or Kawasaki.
A friend of mine owned a KLX and used to do some pretty serious trailriding with it,with only a change of tyre type,lower gearing and higher bars.
Yes ,you are limited to some degree by the suspension ,but there are some bargain secondhand bikes to be had out there.
gspod

Post by gspod »

Thanks for the feedback guys.

With the CRF250L thread at 47 pages long and now the Rally at 11 pages I'm surprised there are no more than 2 replies to sing the virtues - or otherwise of the CRF :?
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

there is no need to sing the praises of the crf250L
you simply get on and ride quietly where others fear to tread :lol:

there is some truth in this .. I have not tried the klx, or many other small trail bikes, but I have ridden with a few owned by mates.
eg .. the ttr250 is a cracking bike, plenty of power and traction .. but can be noisy and old fashioned in its rough tough delivery.

what is amazing about the crf250L is its lack of amazing surprise.
it just rolls gently over places you may have worried about,
no drama, noise and power (signifying nothing)
just an easy ride that can take you to some awkward places.

the fuel uptake is great at very low revs
its FI is fab and easy

no roaring, or spinning of rear wheel with chunks of grassy hillside flinging out
just a modest advancement to where you want to go .. safely.

.. so how can you sing about that?
its not an endure bike
not all that high powered
its weak to average on the road,
but great on small tarmac lanes,
great for long distance tarmac roads (tyres permitting) .. comfy seat and riding position,
very good (for perpetual novices like me) on trails but a bit heavy and sometimes cumbersome on technical bits

but overall ... fab (if that's your thing)
Last edited by garyboy on Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
WillS

Post by WillS »

gspod wrote: ↑Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:30 pm Thanks for the feedback guys.

With the CRF250L thread at 47 pages long and now the Rally at 11 pages I'm surprised there are no more than 2 replies to sing the virtues - or otherwise of the CRF :?
I think because not too many can give a riders opinion of both.
I have the CRF250L, and think it's a great little bike.
I can only compare it to my previous bikes I used on and off-road. A 1200GS and a 650 Dakar.
I still have the Dakar for longer trips, but sold the 1200 GS as it was not getting used, a bit like the Dakar now!!
But today the bike that gets most use is the CRF, a great little Dual Sport Bike. Perfect for the trails around the French and Spanish Pyrenees. I really enjoy riding the little bike, ok it's not fast, it's not powerful, but great fun, it puts a smile on your face every time I use it. But it really comes into its own on the trails, so easy to ride, and enough power (for me) to cope with all the trails around the Pyrenees. Personally I cannot fault the bike, it does everything I want it to do, and with the Kriega Overlander 30 you can turn it into a small adventure bike for longer trips. You can have a good day's ride for less than 10€ in fuel. :D
Good luck with your choice, but I think two very similar bikes.
Will
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

ps ..

.. the crf250 rally is crap .... :D :evil: (juss kiddinnn) :)
gspod

Post by gspod »

Thanks for the replies.

Gary - that's kind of what I was thinking, it's a smooth easy to ride bike.

The bike is for my wife - and funnily enough she's ridden a CRF before and liked it. I have a WRR and love it but it's a bit jerky for her and tall. She tried a TTR and as you say a bit old fashioned in it's delivery. I was wondering if the KLX was as smooth as the CRF then all the other positives would be a bonus. At the end of the day as most people have said there's not much to chose between them.

The CRF is more popular in this country so easier for parts I guess.

Thanks again
halfpint

Post by halfpint »

having ridden both I would say the kawasaki is better of road . the crf is just a bit to soft and heavy . the wrr is a better bike by miles if yours is jerky have a tune up . on the road they are all about the same just a power difference if you want soft power to start with buy a serrow low and a great little chugger . drop the gearing will help at the loss top speed .
gspod

Post by gspod »

Thanks halfpint.

The WRR is not really jerky, just not novice friendly - I say that because she (briefly) had an NX250 that was so smooth and easy to ride but unfortunately waaaay too small. Serrows are great but would probably be a bit too small for her as well and they're silly money.
I keep returning to the KLX I must admit - nice looking bike too.

I often think a good article for the mag would be a shoot out of small second hand trail bikes:
CRF250L
DR350/400
KLX250
WRR/TTR 250
Etc........

People could turn up at a good green lane destination with their bikes and have a day out swapping as they go and giving feedback.
There you go editor ;)

Return to β€œBIKES”