Africa Twin..considering buying

The Things We Ride
fatowl

Re: Africa Twin..considering buying

Post by fatowl »

As has been mentioned before, check out the Versys 1000.
threepot

Post by threepot »

Hi..You praise Triumph,but want to change? The 1050 Sport you have is a better road bike than the AT your considering? If your 'man enough',buy a 1200 Exp? But if you want to go off rd,there are better options. I recently rode the new 800 tiger xrx,,.great bike! There are good reviews on the new Street Scrambler? Depends if you fall into 'l must have the most power' [or gs] category??
Tripster1050

Africa Twin..considering buying

Post by Tripster1050 »

Nope, dont need most powerful I just fancy a change of bike. Be a man and buy an exp ??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by Tripster1050 on Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tripster1050

Post by Tripster1050 »

threepot wrote:Hi..You praise Triumph,but want to change? The 1050 Sport you have is a better road bike than the AT your considering? If your 'man enough',buy a 1200 Exp? But if you want to go off rd,there are better options. I recently rode the new 800 tiger xrx,,.great bike! There are good reviews on the new Street Scrambler? Depends if you fall into 'l must have the most power' [or gs] category??
I did like the 800 tiger more than the new tiger sport when I had a courtesy bike & a demo last year. The only criticism I have of my bike is the snatchy throttle but ride by wire on the 800 means its much smoother. Im really just gathering opinions of owners as a lot of the reviews are the same stuff.
Scrambler not really for me as I take a pillion a fair bit

Trev

Post by Trev »

I bought an AT DCT in April, second hand, only 2k miles but well used (ex Honda off road demo bike with dinks aplenty) and it's now on 7k. I wouldn't expect any but have had no issues at all with it all.
Great bike, plenty quick enough for most road conditions and sooo easy to maintain indecent speeds with decent screen, great suspension and lolloping gait with DCT. I've done a couple of longer trips (2.3k miles in Europe), 1.5k miles Scotland , some long days out, wet weather back lanes blasts, a few (dry) gentle trails and even an IAM track day. It does everything pretty well, some things very well and nothing badly. It returned 42mpg on the track day with throttle wide open for much of the time, averages 50+ in normal A road use (75/85 mph) and easy to better 60mpg if taking it steady 2 up.

Apart from a slightly hard seat (after a 3 or 4 hours) and, like many modern bikes, it's a bit of a lard ass when pushing it around, I really can't fault it, very much looking forward to using it through the Winter as I bought it as an all year round bike and it plays second fiddle to a couple of other bikes during the Summer.

For me the DCT is a game changer (I had a DCT NC700X) for 4 years so give one a long test ride if you get the chance.
Tripster1050

Post by Tripster1050 »

Trev wrote:I bought an AT DCT in April, second hand, only 2k miles but well used (ex Honda off road demo bike with dinks aplenty) and it's now on 7k. I wouldn't expect any but have had no issues at all with it all.
Great bike, plenty quick enough for most road conditions and sooo easy to maintain indecent speeds with decent screen, great suspension and lolloping gait with DCT. I've done a couple of longer trips (2.3k miles in Europe), 1.5k miles Scotland , some long days out, wet weather back lanes blasts, a few (dry) gentle trails and even an IAM track day. It does everything pretty well, some things very well and nothing badly. It returned 42mpg on the track day with throttle wide open for much of the time, averages 50+ in normal A road use (75/85 mph) and easy to better 60mpg if taking it steady 2 up.

Apart from a slightly hard seat (after a 3 or 4 hours) and, like many modern bikes, it's a bit of a lard ass when pushing it around, I really can't fault it, very much looking forward to using it through the Winter as I bought it as an all year round bike and it plays second fiddle to a couple of other bikes during the Summer.

For me the DCT is a game changer (I had a DCT NC700X) for 4 years so give one a long test ride if you get the chance.

Thank you Trev. Exactly the sort of info from an owner I'm looking for. Its easy to say that the AT is an off road bike and the Tiger Sport a road bike but as your review shows the AT is competent at both. Im looking to ride all year and suspect on the back roads into and around the Lake district in winter the AT may be very suitedImage
Not much difference in weight to my Sport, maybe 10 kilos in it. Hoping to test ride a DCT in next couple of weeks when I get home & the explorer when my Sport goes for its annual service in November. Good time of year to test those heated seats Image
Thank you again

bowber

Post by bowber »

Don't be worried about the 21" front wheel not gripping, with a road biased tyre on you'll be able to corner just as fast as any road bike at normal road speeds, they are a bit slower steering but more stable mid corner. I could get my KTM950 off the edge of the tyres no problem and mid corner bumps didn't bother it at all.

Steve
Joolz77

Post by Joolz77 »

I have an A/T DCT and second what Trev has said.
I got it new in January and now have well over 4000 miles on it. The best way I can say is to put show hoe the A/T has changed my riding, I have done more mileage in the last 6 months than I had for the past 6 years. I have ventured off road (only easy trails but I am a complete newbie!!) and it has given me the confidence to finally venture abroad on it with the Missus. It carries a big enough tent and comforts to tempt the Missus into going camping! Never thought I'd see the day...... She absolutely loves the DCT as we have no more headbutting when I bugger up a gear change! Its just so seamless.
It takes a pillion quite well, but my only complaint would be fully laden the rear shock struggles a little bit. That said, it'll probably never bother me enough to remedy it!! Uprated spring should do the job.
I own a Blackbird as well and that should be more fun than the AT if we go by the power and handling stats, but I must say it never gets a look in any more! Couple of hundred miles at most this year.
For me the A/T was a bike that has transformed how I 'use' a bike and I haven't looked back.
I tested all the others I could think of and I have to say the were ALL very good and competent, from Versys to GS. I'm not a fan of any particular brand. I just like what I like! I just happend to 'click' with the DCT so that was the choice for me.
Its going to come down to back to back test rides and as said before not just for half an hour. Good luck and I'm sure you wont be disappointed with most of the choices out there!
Trev

Post by Trev »

bowber wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:46 am Don't be worried about the 21" front wheel not gripping, with a road biased tyre on you'll be able to corner just as fast as any road bike at normal road speeds, they are a bit slower steering but more stable mid corner. I could get my KTM950 off the edge of the tyres no problem and mid corner bumps didn't bother it at all.

Steve
Totally agree.

I had my AT around Thruxton a couple of weeks ago on an IAM Skills day specifically to get me used to the skinny front wheel. Although not a 'balls out' track day most of the riders were on road orientated bikes (I saw one other AT) and I was in a group with a couple of GSXR's, a 1200 Triumph thingy with cast wheels and the group leader on a cast wheel GS and had no issues keeping on the pace and the front tyre caused me no issues at all even riding right off the edge when it dried out in the afternoon. In fact, on the wet sessions in the morning I actually managed to get past the gixxers a couple of times, one had come off only a few weeks back at Silverstone in the wet and was at the event to build his confidence back and commented 'if you can get that lanky thing that far over on a moped tyre then I know I can do it!'
Tripster1050

Post by Tripster1050 »

Thanks Julien, another excellent feedback mail. Very good point you make about riding more. I would like to ride much more hence trying to use it to ride to European jobs but also in winter on poor roads etc. Thinking an ADV would suit more

Return to “BIKES”