Africa Twin..considering buying

The Things We Ride
Tripster1050

Africa Twin..considering buying

Post by Tripster1050 »

Hey Everyone
I said hello in my first post in the Welcome section and the thread drifted a bit into new bike choices so thought I would start a proper thread here. I'm considering swopping my 2014 tiger sport for an AT or Triumph 800/Explorer but so many negatives and positives its hard to narrow it down. I really like the AT look and lack of hugely expensive electronics, go anywhere tourer and price but even a journo who took the bike to Nordkapp says 30bhp more, better suspension and he would buy one.
Then the triumph.... love the triple engine but bloody hell the explorers heavy. The 800 is kind off similar to the AT but with all the electronics.
GS Rallye, weirdly I like the look of it but not the cost.
I work overseas and plan to use the bike for European jobs if possible, all UK work I go to regardless of time of year, visa runs to London town and two up blasts to the lakes for a coffee with the wife.
All do able on the tiger sport but fancy a change (and the huge panniers on the sport look bloody awful)
All advice and comments welcome and looking to purchase beginning of 2018 so 3 months research, test rides to make a choice
Cheers
Paul

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
waynecoluk

Re: Africa Twin..considering buying

Post by waynecoluk »

I am looking at changing my 2 bikes in the next few months as well. The best advice I could give is ride as many as possible, don't just narrow you're search to a couple of bikes. Not only would it give you more options but it means riding loads of different bikes for fun which is never a bad thing. :D
Unless you're planning on doing quite a bit of offroad I would suggest trying the Versys 1000 and the V-Strom 1000 aswell.
When I did something similar a couple of years ago I test rode the Tiger 800 which handles really well and felt light and the Explorer which felt a lot bigger but more substantial and a great engine. But then I rode the Versys and the V-Strom and was pleasantly surprised with both.
I ended up going for the Versys which in my opinion is very underrated and I got a great deal.
I've never ridden the AT but as it is meant to be better off the road than on it doesnt interest me.
2016 BMW 1200GSA

2013 Triumph Street Triple
Tripster1050

Post by Tripster1050 »

Thanks Wayne, good advice. Tried the Tiger 800 & liked it but then had a test on the Explorer. The engine alone had me preferring it to the baby 800. I would like to test a GS and as you pointed out the AT is more off road so something to consider. Not a huge fan of suzuki but have had many kawasaki sportsbikes and must admit to liking the Kwaks.

RandG

Post by RandG »

I should've bought one instead of the GS I bought. It's down on power on the GS, it's suspension isn't as good as the GS, it doesn't handle as well as the GS, but I was blinded by bling. The suspension is as good as most, there is nothing wrong with it, the power is only relevant when going fast/er and the 21 inch front is never going to handle as well as a 19, go test ride it, but all day not half an hour.

The tiger 800 is a fantastic engine, easy bike in the world to ride, I'm just not a fan of triples, but I would never talk anyone out of buying one, they are ace, did 1500 miles on a rental one in Spain last year and really enjoyed it, just not a triple cylinder fan that's all.
Tripster1050

Post by Tripster1050 »

You not liking the Gs R&G ?

RandG

Post by RandG »

It's a fantastic bike, does everything, just a bit boring for me. I have a xt660z tenere and use that far more than my brand new GS, sell you in if you're interested :D
Spike941

Post by Spike941 »

I have had my Explorer for 4 years now, mainly used for my 2/3 week European trips, (Nordkapp and back last year) it's a very quick road bike, but don't confuse it with a GSA's off road capabilities. I love the triple Bullet proof engine that just keeps giving. Looks good as well. Test rode a GSA a year ago, loved that too, and to be quite honest, and slightly ashamed to admit, but would probably buy a GSA if I could justify the additional cost. And they look good as well. Enjoy testing. Work out your budget, then spend a bit more. It'll be worth it.
Tripster1050

Post by Tripster1050 »

RandG wrote:It's a fantastic bike, does everything, just a bit boring for me. I have a xt660z tenere and use that far more than my brand new GS, sell you in if you're interested :D
Image🤣 I rather like the look of the GS Rallye but the cost puts me off a touch. Not ready to take the plunge yet or I may end up not 100% like yourself. Plus minus a few bollocks after the wifes finished with me !!!!

Andi_Archer

Post by Andi_Archer »

Well the ATs were on offer "new" from some dealers this last week for 3K off the market price [ a week after I purchased a 2016 model C'est La Guerre! ].It has been mentioned there may be a new variation out shortly.
There are differences between it and the 1200GS mainly on the lack of electronics the AT has onboard compared to the GS but still a nice bike all the same.
Tripster1050

Post by Tripster1050 »

Spike941 wrote:I have had my Explorer for 4 years now, mainly used for my 2/3 week European trips, (Nordkapp and back last year) it's a very quick road bike, but don't confuse it with a GSA's off road capabilities. I love the triple Bullet proof engine that just keeps giving. Looks good as well. Test rode a GSA a year ago, loved that too, and to be quite honest, and slightly ashamed to admit, but would probably buy a GSA if I could justify the additional cost. And they look good as well. Enjoy testing. Work out your budget, then spend a bit more. It'll be worth it.
I currently have a triumph tiger sport Spike. Dealer support is first class and had a few bikes from them. British, plus great dealer back up has kept me on Triumph for past 6 years. I nearly opted for an Explorer when I bought the Tiger Sport but work & lack of riding time at that moment in time meant I couldn't justify one. Rolling a Triumph or a GS out of the garage on a cold crisp morning, empty roads, sun barely up and ready to take me to southern Spain on a 2 week job is a dream I have had for a few years now. Image

Return to “BIKES”