Next bike for tall rider

The Things We Ride
thebiggestjolly

Next bike for tall rider

Post by thebiggestjolly »

Hullo all,

I thoroughly enjoy my current bike (XL650, 2004). It was my first bike after passing my test in February, and I find it pretty comfy. Done 400+ miles in a day, and 3000 miles over two weeks without complaint. And despite the fact I'm a big lump (6ft 5, 18st and a bit ;)) and had all my camp gear, the little 650 took me over the alps this summer without struggling.

That said, it's old enough to attract the new Ultra Low Emissions Zone charge coming into force in a couple years, abd new bikes are fun, so I'm looking at upgrading next spring, once I have the money.

Got my eye on plenty different bikes:
KTM Super Adventure 1290
KTM Adventure 1050
Africa Twin
1200GSA
Yamaha XTZ 1200
Triumph Explorer

Etc etc

I'd be interested to hear from anyone about the same height as me and their experiences on any of these, or anything else suitable.

Obviously I'll start test riding as many as I can, it's all personal after all, but never hurts to get a few opinions.

I'm pretending money is no object right now, but I'll likely be looking at about 8 grand, and something no older than 2010 ish.

Cheers all!
Spike941

Re: Next bike for tall rider

Post by Spike941 »

I'm 6'5", but now slimmed down to a respectable 15st. I ride an Explorer, but with the seat on the higher setting, l still need a full sheepskin folded in two with a self inflating sit mat between the fold so as to lesson the bend at the knee. I took a brief test on the GSA, and from memory found that pretty comfortable.
Last edited by Spike941 on Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Monster

Post by Monster »

990R - simple, raw beast
If a Hammer don't fix it - you have an electrical problem
Yoyo

Post by Yoyo »

Do lots of test rides, they are all different, I went for the xt1200 because I wanted a reliable bike with shaft drive and I didn't need it to be balistically quick, I find it really comfortable compared to others I tried, try and test ride them all.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

JP-ADV990R

Post by JP-ADV990R »

Hi mate,

I would personally recommend the KTM 990 ADV R from my experience with it... I'm 6ft 5in and just under 20 stone 😎👍 it is an awesome bit of kit even with 2 up!!... and 1 of the major reasons I also enjoy it is the ease of servicing it!! Others find it difficult but if you know what you are doing and keep it for a while you'll soon get the hang of it 😎👍 enjoy the ride!!
Dave DRZ

Post by Dave DRZ »

I'm 6'5" and was 18 stone (now a more respectable 16 :D ) I ride the BMW F800 GS which I find great for my size - It took me to Turkey a couple of years ago, several weeks on the road, 400 mile days, fully loaded with luggage, all I needed was an Air Hawk seat. I ride everyday on a 25 mile commute and have done some gentle green lanes on it (did the Old Coach Road, no problem, search YouTube for clips if you don't know it). It's a great do it all bike.

Dave
Far Off Places; a motorcycle adventure from Manchester to Manali www.faroffplaces.net
bigfoot

Post by bigfoot »

I'm about an inch shorter than you and about 16 stone

For me, the V Strom 1000 Suzuki in an awesome do it all bike

Mine has got me everywhere, in comfort, and is also a lot cheaper to own and run than the others. After experience with a GS, I'd say the strom is a superior road bike and both of them are acceptable on light off road.

If you want off road ability I'd go for the Africa Twin
gspod

Post by gspod »

I'm 6'4" and have sat on or ridden lots of adventure bikes - even when they were big trallies :D

I've had my 1100gs for 19 years and never felt like changing it. I've raised the seat 1" 1/2, raised the seat filling 2", raised the handlebars 2" and slightly lowered the foot pegs - perfect for the last 165K miles.

As long as you choose a fairly tall bike to begin with it doesn't which matter because you can modify - so choose the bike for its other characteristics.
Personally I like the GSs because even though they are tall the COG is low.

Good luck with your choice
thebiggestjolly

Post by thebiggestjolly »

Thanks everyone for replies. Always good to get a few opinions. Gonna start test riding and I'll see what fits.

Cheers
Jolly

Return to “BIKES”