New Bike for the TET

The Things We Ride
minkyhead

Re: New Bike for the TET

Post by minkyhead »

had the 250 for two years and then got the rally ..loose plan the 300 as trail bike and the rally and ccm as the long distance mule s
if a new dr or drz or big donk could be had id probaly be riding one but with no option that way .. a new honda has its own appeal

the crf has been super super tough and super super reliable i havent even adjusted the sterring head bearings or swingarm bearings .. nothing nada zilch
i can have no complaints at all excceded expectations ... its shit we have klx 250 crf 250 and then a huge leap toa 701 ....
whats the wether forcast ..wheres me map
WIBO

Post by WIBO »

Mad Hatter wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:36 pm What about the crf450x, not the r, electric start and a wet weight of 120kg near as dammit. Nearly 40kg lighter than the rally and nearly twice the power.

Obviously it would need tweaks but so would the rally probably, and by all accounts they're pretty reliable more so than the r because they're detuned.

This would be a direction I'd think about if I were in your position and with your remit, rather than a 250 and for the same reasons. ...and all with that extra grunt which is never lost especially in gloopy stuff. This moto will work for all types trail and very light camping, i.e. what Willie Spray states ref his soft kit and off you go.

The Honda 450 is a great motor with a starter button and super cycle parts. Low kms second hand one, farkle and off you go? Astounding bit of kit.

The bikes I guided with in Maroc ( with Redtread ) had nearly 20,000kms rental clicks on them......different riders in harsh conditions and not one lay down......we encouraged riders to ride them like they were stolen for maximum fun.

I don't know if they're common over in the UK but they're very common here at enduros. HM Italy bring them in.

Stick to national roads at a sedate speed to get there.......they'll sit all day.

Oil changes, clean filters and correct chain tension was the secret. Stainless valves afterwards when needed.

Of course there's the half price stalwart that I ride available too and all the reasons it's half price.........then you're back into the realms of your DR I guess;

Higher tuned bikes detune your wallet eventually but Honda IMO delay this.........those 450's really are a great bit of kit IMHO.
Will It Buff Out?
Peak

Post by Peak »

We did the TET from Slovakia to Greece in June. A 690, X challenge and me on a rally raid level 3 CB500X. The Honda was perfect for the TET. It'll sit at 75/80 all day on the motorways and go anywhere the other bikes went off road. Factor in the reliably and low running costs and it's hard to think of a better machine!
halfpint

Post by halfpint »

so why are getting rid of it ktm 690 better?
halfpint

Post by halfpint »

so why are you selling it off is a ktm 690 a better choice ? the only thing that puts me off the cb 500x is its a bit porky
Tramp

Post by Tramp »

Peak wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:58 pm We did the TET from Slovakia to Greece in June. A 690, X challenge and me on a rally raid level 3 CB500X. The Honda was perfect for the TET. It'll sit at 75/80 all day on the motorways and go anywhere the other bikes went off road. Factor in the reliably and low running costs and it's hard to think of a better machine!
How could you ride the Tet in june when the gpx files where not released then.... :o
Peak

Post by Peak »

We had the TET files before the web site went live!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Peak

Post by Peak »

Half pint. The bike belies it's weight but it is a compromise. The op states he wants to do the TET over a few years so assuming he isn't leaving his bike and flying back each year he's going to have a fair bit of slabbing it. This is where the 250 / 450 will be a pain. I'm sure someone will be along to state otherwise but a twin is a lot nicer for the big mileage days than a small single. Having done the TET there's nothing there I wouldn't have done on my old 1190r so something like a wr450 is overkill in my opinion.

I wanted a reliable bike for the trip and now it's done I don't have any other big miles trips planned this year. The majority of my winter riding is green laning and the 690 is an itch I've wanted to scratch for years.

Brenhden

Post by Brenhden »

Peak wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:04 am Half pint. The bike belies it's weight but it is a compromise. The op states he wants to do the TET over a few years so assuming he isn't leaving his bike and flying back each year he's going to have a fair bit of slabbing it. This is where the 250 / 450 will be a pain. I'm sure someone will be along to state otherwise but a twin is a lot nicer for the big mileage days than a small single. Having done the TET there's nothing there I wouldn't have done on my old 1190r so something like a wr450 is overkill in my opinion.

I wanted a reliable bike for the trip and now it's done I don't have any other big miles trips planned this year. The majority of my winter riding is green laning and the 690 is an itch I've wanted to scratch for years.

Hi all,

Thanks for all the input. In theory I will be doing the UK and the close ones just on the bike, anything further afield I will be loading the bike into the van and leaving it at the start point while I ride. I'm lucky enough to be getting a Kombi from work delivered on Monday.
IMG_20170828_140133.jpg
IMG_20170828_140133.jpg (189.17 KiB) Viewed 2592 times
My experience from last Monday is that, for the TET UK at least, a 250 size bike is needed especially solo.

Off for a test ride this afternoon :D
And now, Harry, let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure.

Suzuki DR200 Djebel.
🇬🇧🇫🇷🇧🇪🇱🇺🇪🇸🇬🇷🇩🇪
Peak

Post by Peak »

Brenhden wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:07 am Hi all,

Thanks for all the input. In theory I will be doing the UK and the close ones just on the bike, anything further afield I will be loading the bike into the van and leaving it at the start point while I ride. I'm lucky enough to be getting a Kombi from work delivered on Monday.

My experience from last Monday is that, for the TET UK at least, a 250 size bike is needed especially solo.

Off for a test ride this afternoon :D

I had a 250 rally when my wife's bike was in for a service and I had a blast on it. Reminded me of being 17 again stretching the throttle cable! Wouldn't wan to do any distance on one but a van is a game changer. Enjoy this afternoon... I wish I were out riding 8-)

Return to “BIKES”