What Minky says makes a lot of sense
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
Brenhden

Re: New Bike for the TET

Post by Brenhden »

Thanks all,

I'm not worried about picking Donk up, but I wouldn't go much heavier.

Great looking bike Minky.
And now, Harry, let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure.

Suzuki DR200 Djebel.
πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§πŸ‡«πŸ‡·πŸ‡§πŸ‡ͺπŸ‡±πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡ͺπŸ‡ΈπŸ‡¬πŸ‡·πŸ‡©πŸ‡ͺ
WillS

Post by WillS »

Go for a test ride on the CRF250L or Rally. You will not be disappointed, great bikes.
Steve has done a great job on his, looks the business.
I really enjoy the CRF250L and the performance from a little 250 will surprise you :D
Its really all you need on the trails and short road sections.
Attachments
CF10BFFE-2696-4915-9152-812648A7EDAD.JPG
CF10BFFE-2696-4915-9152-812648A7EDAD.JPG (375.12 KiB) Viewed 3532 times
Uncle Buck

Post by Uncle Buck »

I like mine but haven't ridden it much.
I like mine but haven't ridden it much.
IMG_0191.JPG (280.57 KiB) Viewed 3527 times
Mad Hatter

Post by Mad Hatter »

What about the crf450x, not the r, electric start and a wet weight of 120kg near as dammit. Nearly 40kg lighter than the rally and nearly twice the power.

Obviously it would need tweaks but so would the rally probably, and by all accounts they're pretty reliable more so than the r because they're detuned.
minkyhead

Post by minkyhead »

theres a big following for the ktm 500 too ..personally i think for trips like the tet they are somwhat of overkill and the same could be said of the ccm i have ..its like having a rachorse on a carttrack probably for 90 percent of the time

i beefed up my 250l with a300 engine and its pretty good loads more tourque ..its very good ..its alot quicker and faster than the rally particulary off the bottom end its abtter trail bike ... ..but it actually isnt that much more usable ..the tiny first gears make either bike pretty capable on steep knarly stuff ..the 300 really has a proper usable 2nd gear though load more grunt on the steep stuff and the equalizer is t tyres and higher speed stability

the downsides to the 300 is that the 250l chassis is not as stable at speed as the rally its fine ataround 70mph but push on towards 80 and things get a little weavy ..with the old 250l engine in its not a problem i treally had as the low 60s was the order of the day

..the rallys chassis really does corner brilliantly well and is super stable in side winds and white lines and lorrys it feels more like a tenere than a 250l in that rspect it is a far less nervouse ride when cornering at higher speed really has a pleasing manner on the tar .. even with like for like tyres ..the gap to 2nd is a liitle too long on the crf and the rally so on steep stuff you have to use first quite bit as 2nd is weak unless you have the revs up ..but all in all its not that often and 1st will climb pretty much anything you would want a adventure bike fully loaded to take on

...and another thing that effects me a lot is the tyres .. even on the ccm im not inclined to to go above 75mph with proper duel tyres on so ive found that having abike that will easily go to 100mph is pretty usless under most everyday travel conditions unless i put compimise tyres on like k60s and that is not going to work for me

the new 250l with the newer engine in is worth looking at too ...the rally engine is far far better than the old 250ls particularly in 5 and 6th gear

i guess the 300r engine in the rally would be my best combination ..but i honestly dont feel the need to do that it has enough to keep you far and away ahead of the inside lane and i am happy with it in so much i feel its just enough to be pracical for long distance and travelling on me own alot i find it really nice to find a steady pace and watch the world tick by

the 300 is good trail bike with a lot stronger engine but for longer distance and road work id forgo the extra zap of the 300 and choose the rally as it is so nice to ride on the road and good enough for me off road too ..the tank seat heihht stronger brakes stability lights and weatherprotection make it a real nice adv bike base

the clue is in the gearings i choose

250l 14/43
rally 14/41
300r 15/39

the gearing reflects the amount of braap available .

the crf takes getting used to but ive a genune 25000 miles up now on them in less than two years and yes ive upgraded the suspension ect
but the older250/300 has seen some use off road measured in 100s of hours and done some quite big trips and weekend s .. and i can say hand on heart it has had zero absalutly zero problems ..ive not even had to adjust the headbearings or grease the swingam / change a bearing or anything at all ....i just change oil adjust chain and that is it ..may well do all that this winter but theres nothing suggesting it needs doing at this moment in time..
its a very tough little bike indeed ..and ive been extreamy surprised by them ...

i was watching the gibralter race site this year and a guy on a 250rally entered ...standard bike with just a new rear shock and a exhaust ...he finished 2nd overall in the 450 class over the fifteendays and won severel special stages ...good rider obviusly but he was up against wr450s and the like :shock:
..which sugests a fat old man and few trails are not going to faze it too much :mrgreen:

underated the crfs imho

Imagezzzzzzzzzzzzzz by minkyhead56, on Flickr
whats the wether forcast ..wheres me map
Brenhden

Post by Brenhden »

Many thanks for that.

I've had a day on the 250L and I like it a lot, it went places I didn't think it would go. Even on my 650 I rarely go over 70 as like you say the tyres start to squirm.

Any ideas on pannier racks?
And now, Harry, let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure.

Suzuki DR200 Djebel.
πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§πŸ‡«πŸ‡·πŸ‡§πŸ‡ͺπŸ‡±πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡ͺπŸ‡ΈπŸ‡¬πŸ‡·πŸ‡©πŸ‡ͺ
WillS

Post by WillS »

Brenhden wrote: ↑Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:24 pm Many thanks for that.

I've had a day on the 250L and I like it a lot, it went places I didn't think it would go. Even on my 650 I rarely go over 70 as like you say the tyres start to squirm.

Any ideas on pannier racks?
Thought you might enjoy riding the CRF250L Brenhden :D Great little bike.
I used the Kriega Overlander 30 Panniers they don't need a rack, 15L each side and really easy to take on and off, fully waterproof. See photo above.
Don't get in the way when riding, also used an AirHawk DS this made the travel very comfortable on the long road sections.
Totally agree with Steve, re the CRF great bikes. Will be on the Aragon HISS in September on it.
I did with Graham on his TTR 250 the RB1 in June, over 800 km in 3 days, we both really enjoyed it, and who want to go over 120kph on a dual sport bike??
Tramp

Post by Tramp »

try this huge thread ...

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/t ... ad.823409/

some very good mods
WillS

Post by WillS »

Tramp wrote: ↑Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:16 pm try this huge thread ...

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/t ... ad.823409/

some very good mods
That's a novel not a forum thread "941 pages" on the CRF250L !!!
Very interesting though.

Also why does the links now not open a NEW Page, it's a pain, if you close it you have to go back to the login on the ABR forum!!
It opened a new page on the previous version!!!

Return to β€œBIKES”