Green lane bike required.

The Things We Ride
byway billy

Green lane bike required.

Post by byway billy »

my mate fancies my XR400 and wants something for the local trails but they are fetching some silly money these days, he has looked at some KLX 250'S on ebay as an alternative. Any views on the older KLX ? around the 1999 era. he is looking for something for the lanes for around a grand to perhaps twelve hundred . any suggestions / opinions ?
Mikekitts81

Re: Green lane bike required.

Post by Mikekitts81 »

Ttr 250 .. Gets over looked sometimes .... Sure it's air cooled if I remeber rightly to so no worries of a water leak or anything as it's just mechanical to be fair that's what I like about the xr250s just mechanical and no water ... the kmx to is a descent bike always remeber the 125 we all played about on when we were younger great little thing it was... some swear by the dr350s to but don't think you would get one for 1200 ... personal if he could stretch a little more there is an enduro baghira on ebay for 1500 but that's a 660 enduro

Sent from my BBA100-2 using Tapatalk

All things built not bought . The only way is adventure .
Mikekitts81

Post by Mikekitts81 »

To be fair thou I love my 660 on the lanes it gets up all the lanes at ease only down fall is the weight ... could be lighter but iam 20.5 stone so Iam a bit built and the weight doesn't seem to much off an issue for me but after a days green laning I feel the muscles starting to ache and the relaxing tootle home on normal roads is bliss

Sent from my BBA100-2 using Tapatalk

All things built not bought . The only way is adventure .
Shidosan

Post by Shidosan »

Hi
I use a 2009 klx 250, I'm over 60 and can still pick it up by myself.....er.....not that I've had too :D
It's fast enough and has enough power on the lanes but a little slow on the roads.
I have Michelin AC-10 on it.... good in the mud an rubble.. ok on dry tarmac but bad on wet tarmac...
All in all a usefull little thing

Cheers
It will be alright in the end.... if it's not alright.. it's not the end !
IanB

Post by IanB »

Time knows no limits for days such as these.............
SilverSurferToo

Post by SilverSurferToo »

I have a relatively low mileage 1994 reg XR250. OK, currently it is tucked in the back of the garage with a blown fork seal but it is a great tool for the job you are describing. I did pick up an Acerbis tank for it from another gent on here and once I get a day to myself in the garage hope to get the seal at least sorted. It's worth about the money you are looking to spend. Depending on where you are in the country you are welcome to try it. I'm in deepest, darkest South Lanarkshire though .... North of The Wall ...

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

lancashirelad

Post by lancashirelad »

A mate is selling this XR400, 1997, less than 1500 miles MOT Apr 18 £1800 I can get details if you want.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (134.64 KiB) Viewed 4109 times
***just like Britney Spears oops I did it again……sold the Scrambler & as of now there may not be a replacement***
byway billy

Post by byway billy »

SilverSurferToo wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:53 pm I have a relatively low mileage 1994 reg XR250. OK, currently it is tucked in the back of the garage with a blown fork seal but it is a great tool for the job you are describing. I did pick up an Acerbis tank for it from another gent on here and once I get a day to myself in the garage hope to get the seal at least sorted. It's worth about the money you are looking to spend. Depending on where you are in the country you are welcome to try it. I'm in deepest, darkest South Lanarkshire though .... North of The Wall ...

thanks surfer but he has already considered the xr250 and found it a bit lacking in power for his needs as he is a big lad. also we are Northampton .
thanks for the reply though.
EarthWorm

Post by EarthWorm »

If an XR250 is too weedy for him, then an old KLX250 will be too.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration
SilverSurferToo

Post by SilverSurferToo »

byway billy wrote:
SilverSurferToo wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:53 pm I have a relatively low mileage 1994 reg XR250. OK, currently it is tucked in the back of the garage with a blown fork seal but it is a great tool for the job you are describing. I did pick up an Acerbis tank for it from another gent on here and once I get a day to myself in the garage hope to get the seal at least sorted. It's worth about the money you are looking to spend. Depending on where you are in the country you are welcome to try it. I'm in deepest, darkest South Lanarkshire though .... North of The Wall ...

thanks surfer but he has already considered the xr250 and found it a bit lacking in power for his needs as he is a big lad. also we are Northampton .
thanks for the reply though.
No worries at all .. the XR400 is a big step up from the 250 ... in a couple of ways ... but has to be worth a go! Image

Return to “BIKES”