Thoughts on Honda 650 Transalp

The Things We Ride
AustinW

Re: Thoughts on Honda 650 Transalp

Post by AustinW »

VR_Rider wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:42 pm
Thanks for the info, nice to know what to look out for.

Out of interest what did you replace the transalp with?
Africa John wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:31 pm
AustinW wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:21 pm That's all that springs immediately to mind. Don't let that list put you off. Mine was great bike used all year for a 100mile daily commute and still going strong when I sold it (via this forum) it was just very scruffy and in need of some TLC.
Ein Panzer :lol:
Partially correct John. I went through two bikes before I settled on ze Panzer. But really my long distance commute stopped as I changed job and it was as easy to go to work by car mainly. With no need for the Transalp it sat there unloved for a while as I used the other bike for weekend fun and trips (a Varadero and then an XT660R). Hence I decided to sell the TA. Although ze panzer is as good as the Transalp just a bit bigger and a bit more power and easier to work on.
VR_Rider

Post by VR_Rider »

AustinW wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:26 pm
Thanks for the info, nice to know what to look out for.

Africa John wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:31 pm
AustinW wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:21 pm That's all that springs immediately to mind. Don't let that list put you off. Mine was great bike used all year for a 100mile daily commute and still going strong when I sold it (via this forum) it was just very scruffy and in need of some TLC.
Ein Panzer :lol:
Partially correct John. I went through two bikes before I settled on ze Panzer. But really my long distance commute stopped as I changed job and it was as easy to go to work by car mainly. With no need for the Transalp it sat there unloved for a while as I used the other bike for weekend fun and trips (a Varadero and then an XT660R). Hence I decided to sell the TA. Although ze panzer is as good as the Transalp just a bit bigger and a bit more power and easier to work on.

Interesting stuff! I presume by panzer your are talking 1200GS? For a long while they were the bike I really wanted. Unfortunately at the moment the budget can only stretch to 3k so they are out of my price. range. Honda Transalp seems like a good back to biking bike!

Thanks for all the comments guys. Much appreciated,
bowber

Post by bowber »

Have a look at the 700TA as well, same engine but it has a little more punch, the styling is a bit marmite but you get used to it and they come with ABS, injection etc. Plus they have 19/17" wheels which I think makes them slightly nicer on road. The brakes were very good on my wifes.
Paint finish isn't as good as earlier Hondas though and the exhaust still has a problem with rotting, nice sound though.

Steve
dodursley

Post by dodursley »

I have boboneleg's old one for last 5 years gives good service, just got it MOT'd this week and taxed it for the winter, use a Vara through the summer plenty on Transalps on xrv - http://www.xrv.org.uk/forums/transalp/
AustinW

Post by AustinW »

One other thing on the 650..... Sprockets. Stick to honda oem for the front. It's a better fit on the splines of the output shaft so keeps wear to a minimum and has a rubber cushion to soften any harshness coming through the drive.

My wife had a 700 TA for a year or so. Noticeably more grunt than the 650 and much better on fuel. But heavier and riding position slightly more cramped - knees are bent more. Otherwise I enjoyed riding it too. The screen and ergonomics (knees excepted) was generally better. It still needed another 10bhp and associated torque to keep with other bikes in its class like the Vstrom 650.

Return to “BIKES”