KTM 1090 Adventure R Thread

The Things We Ride
Spout

Re: KTM 1090 Adventure R Thread

Post by Spout »

Tim B KTM wrote:Sump Guard

KTM optional extra. Pretty sturdy and been tested with mud mounds and branches already. Looks OK too.
Had lots of fun fitting mine. Not. Bolt holes didn't seem to line up even with everything loose.

And then this weekend had hours of more fun taking it off again for the bikes first oil change. Had to drill out one of the bolts.

I'm going to loosen all the bolts every 500 miles or so, to hopefully ease things for next time.
Tim B KTM

Post by Tim B KTM »

That sounds hard work. Lucky for me was a dealer fit from new. Yet to tackle removing it myself. Hope your fingers get well soon.
Tim B KTM

Post by Tim B KTM »

Bingoman - you may want to give KTM rally pegs a miss as makes the leg stretch marginally longer due to spreading your legs a little bit wider.
Tim B KTM

Post by Tim B KTM »

Fine by me, how do you change title of thread
royle100

Post by royle100 »

HAve you done any motorway/commuting duties on it?
In the summer I do a daily A road, motorway and city commute of 140miles, so need comfort and economy for that. Would be replacing my 800gs which is fairly relaxed ride - changing gears at 4k revs, cruising at 5.5k/6k on motorway. Fuel economy probably averages 45mpg. I have a spare set of wheels with off-road tyres, but would generally fit more road orientated for summer commute and tkc's/mitas for winter green laning/occasional off road adventure (hopefully morocco later this year).
cheers for any feedback
"Oh, yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom. But they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em."....Easy Rider
Fatman690

Post by Fatman690 »

Hi Tim, I was just about to ask a very similar question to Royle (and also planning on having two wheel sets)
I've tried the standard 1090 to get a feel for the engine and it seemed fantastic on the very twisty roads I was on... completely forgot to try it on any boring A Roads/Motorway which I'll be commuting on.
Also thanks for any feedback
Tim B KTM

Post by Tim B KTM »

Using a 1090 Adventure R as a Commuter
What a good question. I have to admit I didn't buy mine with that in mind and not sure it's what I'd go for if commuting was the main concern. Having experienced a good selection of sports bikes and more recently a GSA I would say I preferred the GSA for the road stretches. It has a bigger screen, longer range tank, shaft drive, smoother engine, 10 mpg better economy, a more comfortable seat and more road orientated TKC70 tyres. If I was doing lots of road miles I'd take the GSA. I appreciate not everyone wants to spend BMW money though. BUT......I didn't like the size of the GSA off road and when I hurt my leg recently just pushing it anywhere was hard work. It's tall, heavy and very wide. My interest is local backroads and green lanes and the KTM makes me feel lots more confident than the GSA ever did. 2 great bikes which I'm sure would work at either discipline. Hopefully helps a bit as I can only go on what I have owned and what I wanted then and now.
Tim B KTM

Post by Tim B KTM »

Tyres

Any first hand experiences anyone? I guess the 1190 Adventure R would be a close enough comparison for a few more views/extra feedback.

Last bike had TKC70s and fine for 80/20 road/offroad split. More fine for road/rough road I'd say.

The 1090 comes with TKC80s as standard and so far I've been more than happy with the green lane confidence they give as part of the overall package as well as capability on road. Max 100 mph but the bike type/ergonomics mean this is more than fast enough. If I wanted faster (on road) I'd have different tyres and probably a different bike (this isn't slow but limited (on road) by it's current set up).

I'd prefer something with more offroad ability and take the road compromise. The 80s seem to get universal praise where as other stuff I've read reviews on gives a bit of a mixed result.

I'm no racer, steady green lanes are my choice. I appreciate there have been lots of tyre threads so really just looking for feedback for tyres for this particular bike.

Thanks all.
TKC80.jpg
TKC80.jpg (79.35 KiB) Viewed 3447 times
Last edited by Tim B KTM on Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fatman690

Post by Fatman690 »

Thanks Tim,
I need the bike to be an allrounder because it'll be my only bike for a while... definitely planning on getting off road as much as possible but will need to cover big miles to get to some euro rallies and also to check out greenlanes in other parts of this country (alongside commuting)
I've also done the GSA thing and found it too big and heavy when manoeuvring/picking up so never really took it off road properly.
Think I'm gonna pull the trigger on the 1090 tomorrow :-)
I've seen some of your YouTube vids and I'd be keen on coming down to check out some of your routes sometime if that's ok? They look a lot gentler than the ones we've got up north and should be a nice way to get comfy on the bike
rocky

Post by rocky »

The whole reason I sold mine was down to using it for distance. it just wasn't a good bike to use at speed on the motorway. I tried all sorts of screens and the bigger they were the worse the buffeting was and noise.
I sold it and went back to a Gsa Lc. much better for distance but I do still miss my Ktm at times

Return to “BIKES”