MT07 Tracer...has anyone got one?

The Things We Ride
Scott_rider

MT07 Tracer...has anyone got one?

Post by Scott_rider »

I've been looking at getting an MT09 Tracer but keep getting drawn for some reason to the MT07 Tracer...has anyone got one and if so what's your thoughts on it?
(I'm coming from a Fazer 1000, 140 bhp so I know it's not going to have the stomp that I'm used to).
Suzuki GSX-S1000F...the KTM 450 EXC-R has gone
Gedge

Re: MT07 Tracer...has anyone got one?

Post by Gedge »

I don't have one, but have the XSR700 with the same lump.
I have test ridden both the 700 Tracer and the 900 Tracer. In terms of finish the 900 is nicer and appears slightly better quality, but ergonomically they are very similar with the 7oo being my preferred one of the two.
Performance is adequate to interesting on the 7 but shattering on the 9..However for touring the delivery from the 7 was smoother and easier to get on with at slower speeds.. the 9 constantly wants to be ridden hard.
Once you factor in the considerable cost difference between the two (especially when they were offering £750 worth of extras for £250)and way better economy and cheaper running costs of the 7, to my mind it becomes an easy choice for the 700 to be the choice.
You may find differently but I would advise a good test ride on both before deciding..
RandG

Post by RandG »

Slow is the new fast B) the bigger the bike the more they want thrashed. I owned the Tracer 900, loved it but punted after 6 months for a GS, which bores me, not having ridden the 700 I suspect it'll do most things nicely though the 900 suspension was horrible.
Scott_rider

Post by Scott_rider »

...thanks guys B) .
The reason I've been considering the MT07 Tracer over the MT09 Tracer is that until last week I thought the 700 was a Triple and didn't realise it was a twin :whistle: .
I've had a triple before, a 1050 Speed Triple, so I thought the 900 Tracer would be similar to that in it's power delivery and the 700 triple would be a bit 'weedy' but seeing as I now know it's a twin I quite fancy it...
Suzuki GSX-S1000F...the KTM 450 EXC-R has gone
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

Hi Scott,
There's a good write-up on it in the current issue of BIKE.
The telematic data is interesting....slow/medium acceleration and braking is superior to most big sportsbikes, it seems.
If I was in the market for a new roadbike, it would be on my list.
jonny955

Post by jonny955 »

Richard Simpson Mark II wrote:Hi Scott,

There's a good write-up on it in the current issue of BIKE.

The telematic data is interesting....slow/medium acceleration and braking is superior to most big sportsbikes, it seems.

If I was in the market for a new roadbike, it would be on my list.
Agreed ^

Compared to the 900, the 700 is a much neater looking bike and offers 'enough' for most of us at an outstanding price. Perhaps the failings with all of the mid-range bikes is that the manufacturers skimp on the suspension in order to keep the price point competitive. I can't blame them for that but it does mean to enjoy the full potential you might want to chuck some aftermarket money at the bike.

It's certainly refreshing to see usable practical bikes out there with presumably reasonable fuel economy/range too.

Personally, I'd go for the 700...and I'm a fan of the triple from my Triumph days.

Jon
Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

I agree with all the comments above but Phil I know how you like your power so get a long test ride on both.
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
Mike Wright

Post by Mike Wright »

I bought a new Tracer and traded it in after 6 months of very dissapointing ownership!
+ Very quick and light
- Fueling terrible and at 30-40 mph the fuel mapping was appaling with surging
Rust on shock and other parts. Dash let water in and ended up with mud lines behind the screen. Yamaha UK service was appalling and wasnt interested in sorting it out. Excuse after excuse from Yamaha to the point I traded it in. And theres a whole catalogue of other things I had problems with on the Tracer ................
No more new Yamaha's for me
Fishandchips

Post by Fishandchips »

I still have my 900 tracer after a year and not one problem so far. I love the machine, it's torquey, light, handles ok for me, I don't corner scraping pegs though, might be a different ride if that's what you want out of it.
I couldn't recommend one more.
You have to try both though. The 07 also looks like a fantastic machine.

Return to “BIKES”