The New Versys 1000

The Things We Ride
ianwill

Re: The New Versys 1000

Post by ianwill »

My own Versys 650 Mk3 was in for service on Tuesday so I took the Versys 1000 out on an extended test ride of +/- 150 miles.

The MK3 650 is my first big bike and I've done 8700 miles on it in my two years since passing my test, 1500 + miles in 5 weeks on my 125 waiting for a test before that.

The Versys 1000 has an Impressive engine, up to and just over 100mph without any effort.
Easy to lift the front wheel without trying oops!
I just found it handling wise to be a bit dull, perhaps the smaller Versys spoils me in how it likes to turn into corners.
I was surprised how the 1000 ran out of legs at 110 in 3rd, 125 in 4th and 135 mph in 5th, perhaps its just the top end gearing for touring I guess.
Ran out of space for 6th gear (all done on a private road).

The big Versys for me is a very nice bike, but I'm not sure it's worth the money they ask for a new one +/- £10,500

It's certainly not jumping out at me to buy, it is perfectly sized for me, slightly bigger than the 650 but the increased weight detracts from its handling in a big way, this reflects in the feedback from other Versys owners that have tried the 1000.

The slight finish issues I have seen on my 2 year old 650 such as the black finish fading / flaking on the fork end and radiator surround and other black finish areas would make me wary of shelling out even more money on another similar bike from the same manufacturer :roll

I must have done about +/- 150 miles in my day with it, dual carriageway, in town in traffic, filtering, back roads, single track farm tracks, were all done with no issue.

In summary - the 650 is so much more agile, better dashboard (IMO)
If only the 1st and 2nd gear were smoother and it had a better sounding exhaust.
I love getting back on it and all the other bikes I've tried, I've enjoyed getting back on the Versys 650 .

I guess a 800 Triumph triple in the 650 chassis might be the ideal bike for me :log

I'm test riding the new Africa Twin and Tiger Sport tomorrow to see what they have to offer.

My other big bike comparisons to date have been:
Yam FJR1300
Z1000SX
BMW S1000R Sport
BMW RNineT
Tiger 800 xRX
MT09 Tracer
MT09
BMW R1200RTP
BIG BILL

Re: The New Versys 1000

Post by BIG BILL »

ianwill wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:25 pm My own Versys 650 Mk3 was in for service on Tuesday so I took the Versys 1000 out on an extended test ride of +/- 150 miles.

The MK3 650 is my first big bike and I've done 8700 miles on it in my two years since passing my test, 1500 + miles in 5 weeks on my 125 waiting for a test before that.

The Versys 1000 has an Impressive engine, up to and just over 100mph without any effort.
Easy to lift the front wheel without trying oops!
I just found it handling wise to be a bit dull, perhaps the smaller Versys spoils me in how it likes to turn into corners.
I was surprised how the 1000 ran out of legs at 110 in 3rd, 125 in 4th and 135 mph in 5th, perhaps its just the top end gearing for touring I guess.
Ran out of space for 6th gear (all done on a private road).

The big Versys for me is a very nice bike, but I'm not sure it's worth the money they ask for a new one +/- £10,500

It's certainly not jumping out at me to buy, it is perfectly sized for me, slightly bigger than the 650 but the increased weight detracts from its handling in a big way, this reflects in the feedback from other Versys owners that have tried the 1000.

The slight finish issues I have seen on my 2 year old 650 such as the black finish fading / flaking on the fork end and radiator surround and other black finish areas would make me wary of shelling out even more money on another similar bike from the same manufacturer :roll

I must have done about +/- 150 miles in my day with it, dual carriageway, in town in traffic, filtering, back roads, single track farm tracks, were all done with no issue.

In summary - the 650 is so much more agile, better dashboard (IMO)
If only the 1st and 2nd gear were smoother and it had a better sounding exhaust.
I love getting back on it and all the other bikes I've tried, I've enjoyed getting back on the Versys 650 .

I guess a 800 Triumph triple in the 650 chassis might be the ideal bike for me :log

I'm test riding the new Africa Twin and Tiger Sport tomorrow to see what they have to offer.

My other big bike comparisons to date have been:
Yam FJR1300
Z1000SX
BMW S1000R Sport
BMW RNineT
Tiger 800 xRX
MT09 Tracer
MT09
BMW R1200RTP
I Know you have never ridden a 1000cc Versy (or any other in your list) I'm pretty layed back but your post pi**ed me off.
It is fast as you want it, and i mean fast.
Handel's like a sports bike. yes it does, front skips abit at high speeds.
You can not compare this to the 650 twin apart from looks as it's manic.
You quoted....If only the.. ran out of legs at 135mph ( if.. only the 650 versy could dream of that)

This bike may be no R1 or ZX10 but you obviously have never ridden one.

BB
Don't wait for your ship to come in, swim out and meet the Bl**dy thing ( Barry Sheene )
Your along time dead..

Return to “BIKES”