Sidecars.....Quirky fun or a valid option?

The Things We Ride
SteveW

Sidecars.....Quirky fun or a valid option?

Post by SteveW »

I've had an MZ301with a lightweight fiberglass sidecar fitted, then I bought a new Ural 750 with a sidecar.
The Ural was finished in desert camo and was "Different" I was never sure if the other road users were laughing at, or with me.
I could probably see the point of a long unrushed tour on one.....Especially if it was a husband/wife....Parent/kid type thing.
But as day to day transport? Surely not?
Possibly if you only had a bike licence and you had to cart bulky stuff about, but day-to-day they've got to be the worst of both worlds.
He's my combination......bought just for laughs really......
IMG_0981_2017-07-04.PNG
IMG_0981_2017-07-04.PNG (732.13 KiB) Viewed 2452 times
jim Richardson

Re: Sidecars.....Quirky fun or a valid option?

Post by jim Richardson »

My Wife decided that we should buy an outfit, so we did, the idea was that she would drive/ride it, but I have become the driver, on the upside I have met some very weird ( in a good way ) folk in the sidecar world.
upload06-17073.JPG
upload06-17073.JPG (54.99 KiB) Viewed 2452 times
jim Richardson

Post by jim Richardson »

My Wife decided that we should buy an outfit, so we did, the idea was that she would drive/ride it, but I have become the driver, on the upside I have met some very weird ( in a good way ) folk in the sidecar world.
upload06-17073.JPG
upload06-17073.JPG (54.99 KiB) Viewed 2452 times
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

va;lid option...? Based on my 2-3 spins in an outfit over the years, I would say whatever rocks your boat, I think they are bloody dangerous and bonkers!
Now if someone offered me a Morgan 3 wheeler, then we are talking...
Redmurty

Post by Redmurty »

SteveW wrote:I've had an MZ301with a lightweight fiberglass sidecar fitted, then I bought a new Ural 750 with a sidecar.
The Ural was finished in desert camo and was "Different" I was never sure if the other road users were laughing at, or with me.
I could probably see the point of a long unrushed tour on one.....Especially if it was a husband/wife....Parent/kid type thing.
But as day to day transport? Surely not?
Possibly if you only had a bike licence and you had to cart bulky stuff about, but day-to-day they've got to be the worst of both worlds.
He's my combination......bought just for laughs really......
IMG_0981_2017-07-04.PNG
GIS IT (thumbs)

can't talk the Mrs into getting into one, erm GIS IT (thumbs)

cheers Spud ;)
Life... it's not a dress rehearsal

You don't waste time... you waste yourself
diggermanbob

Post by diggermanbob »

I love them , on the project list is a DRZ or similar with a lightweight chair suitable for trail riding , (thumbs)
For the long distance trails load all the kit in the sidecar
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

Sadly (?) my Ural has now left the building.
50 mph was an event, left hand, or was it right hand turns.......were buttock-clentchingly involving.
Don't just buy one and jump on it to ride it home.....you'll never make it!
Folk who've never ridden a solo motorcycle would be better straight-off on one than a seasoned motorcyclist.
I'd say it'd be better to have the chair (of death) fitted and set-up professionally to suit you and your bike, rather than trusting your own mechanical genius.....and YouTube.
Edit......
I sold my MZ combo to a lady, who bought it as a surprise for her husband's (an experienced biker) 50th birthday.
He'd been harping on about getting one.
They turned up at my house....he hadn't a clue what was going on and I wheeled his birthday present out of the garage.
He was delighted with his present and after I'd I given him a brief intro into the world of 3 wheeled madness.......he wobbled off and nearly made his wife a widow.....I ended up riding it 50 miles to his house with him sat in the chair not saying a word.
I often wonder if they're still together.
diggermanbob

Post by diggermanbob »

You are right Steve there is an art to riding an outfit , I've done many miles on one when I was a bit younger ( a lot ) I used to carry my motocross bike on the sidecar chassis , load it on backwards in to angle iron rails , ride to a meeting , and back home at the end of he day (thumbs)
Redmurty

Post by Redmurty »

you have to drive the bike around the chair on left handers if I remember right, right handers you allow the chair to go round the bike if that makes sense, and the fun is picking the chair up in the air and riding down the road (thumbs)
cheers Spud ;)
Life... it's not a dress rehearsal

You don't waste time... you waste yourself
Scanlan

Post by Scanlan »

Brilliant fun and boy do they get in your blood. I've had them for 30 years now - bought one so my son could still come out with us - still got one.

Return to “BIKES”