CCM GP 450......was it any good?

The Things We Ride
Jak*

Re: CCM GP 450......was it any good?

Post by Jak* »

I have no regrets about swapping my GP for a Himalayan. Quite simply the Himalayan is a better motorcycle. If you want an off road toy then the CCM is great, but as a reliable means of transport it is a non starter (quite literally on several occasions in the case of mine). I know there are riders out there who have had no issues with theirs, but on one of the many occasions mine went back to the factory I was told that they had had issues with about 10% of those that they had sold. Given I was also told that many had gone to collectors who had no intention of riding them that is not a great record.
Cheers Jak
minkyhead

Post by minkyhead »

i think its a tough one to own ...facebook uncut and gp owners is the best place to get a proper take on the bikes ...

theres some sr huky 6 speed models given real bad problems ..on the flip side theres severel now 30 to 40k up without a valve adjustement being done and engines unopened ?

theres independant information out there there good and bad ..

theres so few on here to get a balenced view ..id suggest they are the palces to get the real information from at the moment
whats the wether forcast ..wheres me map
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

It's strong points are its light weight, comfort, decent weather protection and eager engine.
Mine has been reliable but it's only done 4500 miles.
I know some folk have had issues with theirs but you get that to some extent with all bikes.
I did a 3000 mile European trip on mine, keeping mostly to trails and small roads and it was in its element. I did top up the oil half way through, I followed the correct procedure (Don't overfill!) and it took me about ten minutes.
I enjoy riding it and surely that's what really matters.
PeteDuke

Post by PeteDuke »

I have had chance to buy a GP450. Read as much about the bike as I could - (which isn't alot). I had a couple of tech questions about the bike.
So I contacted CCM once on there website contact page and the other via direct email. Over a week later and nothing was heard from CCM. I phoned but they were only interested in the new Spitfire, there was a promise made that someone who was well up on that bike would ring back. Guess what, still waiting.
If that's the best customer service they can come up with I won't bother.
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

It's pretty obvious CCM have abandoned the 600cc replacement for the GP450, I'd guess they got more hassle than they bargained for with the GP450.
This type of bike will be ridden hard and tested on tough terrain by owners with high expectations.
It's a good bike, it hit its intended target right in the bullseye.
One of the best rides I've ever done was Balkans to UK on small roads and trails on my GP450 and it was perfect.
I'm not surprised CCM have blanked you.....I think they are trying to forget they ever made the bike!
Much more cash to be made making fashion excessories for urban Hipsters.....those Spitfires will only be used by their owner for trips to the barber's shop for a beard trim.
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

SteveW wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:11 am ...those Spitfires will only be used by their owner for trips to the barber's shop for a beard trim.
:lol:
minkyhead

Post by minkyhead »

PeteDuke wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:44 am I have had chance to buy a GP450. Read as much about the bike as I could - (which isn't alot). I had a couple of tech questions about the bike.
So I contacted CCM once on there website contact page and the other via direct email. Over a week later and nothing was heard from CCM. I phoned but they were only interested in the new Spitfire, there was a promise made that someone who was well up on that bike would ring back. Guess what, still waiting.
If that's the best customer service they can come up with I won't bother.
register on ccm uncut on facebook ..theres some expert ccm tecks on there ...martin gray knows more about em than any one and has more infor and workarounds than you can shake stick at ....its essential to get a test ride ..some bikes have had fueling issues some have not ...the pcv full braaap ones tend to be spot on ..anyway ask on there anything you want
whats the wether forcast ..wheres me map
PaulinBont

Post by PaulinBont »

My old GP450 is for sale in MandP.

If anyone wants feedback, I'm happy to oblige
Jak*

Post by Jak* »

I think Pete is spot on. Once they had starting selling the Spitfires CCM lost interest in the GP450 and their owners the customer service I had in the last three months was abysmal. Austin Clews honestly told me that it was okay that I had had to wait three months to get my engine sorted as he had to wait three months to get the heated seats fixed on his Landrover?
They know they are onto a winner with the Spitfire as most owners will never ride them or only do short trips in the summer. Therefore the will have very few warranty issues. It is great that there is good support through FB and various forums because if you buy a CCM I think you will need to learn to sort out the many issues yourself.
Cheers
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

I can't really understand what the problems are with CCM. They don't even make their own engines. The 450GP is an old BMW unit, that seems to work well enough in the 450X. They just have to screw it all together right, and provide something niche with each model that the big factories don't supply. But they are getting a reliability issues reputation. Personally I like unusual bikes from small manufacturers. I even risked my cash with Bimota back in the 90s and became quite a fan. But I'm not sure I would ever shell out new bike money for a CCM.

It's a shame because the GP450 offered exactly what many long distance off-road enthusiasts were asking for - low weight, bigger tank, proper dirt capable, long-distance trail bike. But the absolutely vital ingredient a bike like that needs is bullet-proof reliability.

Return to “BIKES”