CCM GP 450......was it any good?

The Things We Ride
SteveW

CCM GP 450......was it any good?

Post by SteveW »

I believe they've stopped making it. So after all the hype was (is) it any good?
Was it the light weight Adventure Bike so many on this site said they wanted?
My thoughts......its brilliant, exactly what I wanted with the power commander and quill exhaust it's a right laugh.
Totally spot on.
It's so bloody good I've chopped in my GSA800TE for a more road oriented Ducati Multistrada 950.
The CCM cruises on motorways at about 15 mph less than the GS, which I can live with, but it's way more fun on the back roads and off road.
It was expensive but it's worth it.
Jak*

Re: CCM GP 450......was it any good?

Post by Jak* »

My verdict would be close but no cigar, or perhaps no e cigarette would be more appropriate. The factory have just fitted the power commander to mine and that makes it the bike it should have been to start with in terms of low speed running. In a year mine has been back to the factory five times, at the moment it is runnning okay but I still would not class it as an adventure bike. It is not tough enough. Stupid things like putting electrical connectors underneath the rear seat, not having waterproof connectors, not using stainless fasteners all round, poor quality powder coating, a design that allows water and dirt to get into areas which could cause problems and therefore necessitates partially stripping the bike to clean it, mean that to me it is not fit for the purpose I bought it for i.e. all year round commuting with occasional evening and weekend trail riding thrown in. The other thing that really annoys me is the seat, it is dire. Being a rider of older bikes I am not used to the concept of having to put something that resembles a medical aid on your seat if you want to cover more than a couple of hundred miles, it would be pathetic on a trail bike but on one that has adventure bike written all over it is unacceptable.
Having said that it is an absolutely brilliant off road bike, it was a great road bike but once you put more serious knobblies on it it loses its edge there a bit. The fairing and screen are also really good and would mean that you could do serious miles in comfort if it wasn't for that bloody seat.
I am still in two minds whether or not to sell mine and buy a dedicated trail bike and a commuter, although at the moment the depreciation is quite significant, perhaps I should wait and see if it becomes a classic. Although if any one offered me a TTR 250 or a Rickman in part ex I could be seriously tempted.
As I said I am not really used to modern bikes so perhaps my expectations were too high.
Cheers Jak
Grahamkevinbutler

Post by Grahamkevinbutler »

It sounds like the perfect bike for you at the moment Stev that's all that maters
The Sarge

Post by The Sarge »

Jak* wrote:My verdict would be close but no cigar, or perhaps no e cigarette would be more appropriate. The factory have just fitted the power commander to mine and that makes it the bike it should have been to start with in terms of low speed running. In a year mine has been back to the factory five times, at the moment it is runnning okay but I still would not class it as an adventure bike. It is not tough enough. Stupid things like putting electrical connectors underneath the rear seat, not having waterproof connectors, not using stainless fasteners all round, poor quality powder coating, a design that allows water and dirt to get into areas which could cause problems and therefore necessitates partially stripping the bike to clean it, mean that to me it is not fit for the purpose I bought it for i.e. all year round commuting with occasional evening and weekend trail riding thrown in. The other thing that really annoys me is the seat, it is dire. Being a rider of older bikes I am not used to the concept of having to put something that resembles a medical aid on your seat if you want to cover more than a couple of hundred miles, it would be pathetic on a trail bike but on one that has adventure bike written all over it is unacceptable.
Having said that it is an absolutely brilliant off road bike, it was a great road bike but once you put more serious knobblies on it it loses its edge there a bit. The fairing and screen are also really good and would mean that you could do serious miles in comfort if it wasn't for that bloody seat.
I am still in two minds whether or not to sell mine and buy a dedicated trail bike and a commuter, although at the moment the depreciation is quite significant, perhaps I should wait and see if it becomes a classic. Although if any one offered me a TTR 250 or a Rickman in part ex I could be seriously tempted.
As I said I am not really used to modern bikes so perhaps my expectations were too high.
Cheers Jak
Pretty spot on Jak, not at all perfect , I would end by saying it's as close to marmite as you can get, Mine is left in the garage in Swansea, unridden, unwanted uninspired !! :whistle:
P4ulie

Post by P4ulie »

Mine arrived Saturday so too early to tell really, been so bloomin hot I've barely touched it. I took it out Sunday late for a 40 mile spin & came home happy, keeping to the speed limit (mainly) & just generally pootling it in & working out how to ride it.
You're going to love it or hate it but I think I'm going to love it. I've got SM & dirt wheels, as far as I'm concerned I have a great road / off road bike (thumbs)
I have the SR so there's no stalling issues so far, especially if you're in the right gear. The demo I tried wasn't PC & I can see why there have been so many moans, that was a mare at slow speed or pulling out of junctions.
I need to get a move on, first service booked Friday week (457 miles to do) then I'm off on a 2000 mile trip. It is without a doubt the most comfy as it comes, easy to ride bike up on the pegs I've ever been on (admittedly
limited) which is just as well as I too am finding the saddle a little over done & a un b*llock friendly. I'm hoping that will settle as I wear it down
With enough profanity, you can accomplish anything
Mike54

Post by Mike54 »

I think ultimately that it suffered from a lack of investment and cash flow at the firm. However, I do remember all the whining about the fact that the engine was going to blow up after 5 minutes :laugh: B)
P4ulie

Post by P4ulie »

I'm of the opinion CCM's quality control is a bit more British Leyland than say Ferrari :laugh:
It is a stunning bike though & exactly what I've been wanting for years. I can't moan about nobody making decent lightweight bikes & then not buy it when a company actually does!
The engine feels pretty tough to me, it certainly pulls well (thumbs)
With enough profanity, you can accomplish anything
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

I thought the car manufacturers mentioned were pretty much on a parr with each other.
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

Mike54 wrote:I think ultimately that it suffered from a lack of investment and cash flow at the firm. However, I do remember all the whining about the fact that the engine was going to blow up after 5 minutes :laugh: B)
From my two test rides, I'd just say it felt as if it would explode... :whistle: So wanted to like the bike and buy one...

I wonder what the SWM engined one will be like, hopefully more trail orientated than rally bike.
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

Every owner's comment is valid, good and bad.
My CCM 450s with factory extras, power commander and quill exhaust has cost me close to 11K.
Think of the mini-fleet of secondhand bikes I could have bought with that cash!
A maxi scooter for commuting, a CRF250L for trail riding and a Fazer 1000 for looning and touring.
I can only consider my bike in isolation and I like riding it. I like the fact that it's assembled in a small factory in Bolton, by real people who care about their customers.
I had some issues with my bike which was down to a shoddy PDI. All the issues where sorted at the first service.
May be the SWM engined bike will be better, but I think the 450 engine is spot on, it's a bit of a nutter really.
I've got the higher seat and the longest single trip I've done is only 130 miles, but it felt absolutely fine.
It's a unique bike and stands out in the crowd.
I like riding mine in all situations.....except motorways, but it can cope it'll cruse easily at 80mph, but the noise of the quill exhaust at that speed means earplugs are mandatory.
I'm glad I supported CCM and bought one, if subsequent models are an improvement then I've played my part (thumbs)
Edit.....wouldn't it be good if Triumph bought them out and put some real investment into the brand?
The Triumph range has noticeable gaps at the lower cc end.

Return to “BIKES”