CCM GP 450......was it any good?

The Things We Ride
minkyhead

Re: CCM GP 450......was it any good?

Post by minkyhead »

Tramp wrote: anyone heard how the army boys are dong in south America on their`s :)

After 77 days, 13 countries and 22,814 km we have reached our finish line on the shores of the Arctic Ocean at Prudhoe Bay, over 200 miles north of the Arctic Circle.

https://www.facebook.com/pg/TransAmeric ... e_internal
whats the wether forcast ..wheres me map
chenerz

Post by chenerz »

Just thought I'd confess to being another owner of both a Guzzi and CCM - seems like there's a few of us about. (although my CCM's are the old 604's - not GP450)
I can only assume it be some sort of subconscious attraction to the underdog /non- mainstream manufacturers' or suchlike.
It's never an easy road to tread and I always seem to be tinkering/fixing one of them - possible masochist tendencies, who knows.
I've had CCM's for years and remember being really excited when CCM announced they were going to build the GP450 back in the day. I had a test ride on the prototype, back when Alice Flooks was CCM's sales manager and have read the reviews/reports over the years. (big thanks to Minkyhead - always a pleasure to read your unbiased, detailed, real world reviews)
Anyway, I've never really been able to justify buying one whilst I've still got both my CCM 640 Supermoto & 604 Trail bikes. I still like the idea of one bike doing both jobs and l'm very keen to see the GP600 when it comes out BUT my old Rotax CCM's are 135kg, 600cc(+).
So I really don't know how I'm going to convince myself - I'm really trying to find a reason/excuse to buy one as I do like my CCM's but, apart from a bigger petrol tank/longer fuel range, I'm struggling to see what it could do that my 604 can't.
It's all good fun.
frenchy3

Post by frenchy3 »

I loved the Rotax engine and had a CCM604e and a Harley Davidson MT350e. The CCM604 should have been a great bike as it had all the right bits but the truth is i never got on with it. It was too loud until i put a Remus tail pipe on it which was quieter but so restrictive it got very hot. It was a very long bike and handled like a river barge. The electrics needed more "attention" than the average bike too. Spares were never a problem and the bike looked superb but i sold it after about a year. I always liked the look of the CCM 404 but actually ended up with the Suzuki DRZ 400s which has a less powerful engine,lower spec suspension and more weight but it made more sense to me. Just a personal thing but as much as i love what CCM do i will go mainstream from now on.
chenerz wrote:Just thought I'd confess to being another owner of both a Guzzi and CCM - seems like there's a few of us about. (although my CCM's are the old 604's - not GP450)
I can only assume it be some sort of subconscious attraction to the underdog /non- mainstream manufacturers' or suchlike.
It's never an easy road to tread and I always seem to be tinkering/fixing one of them - possible masochist tendencies, who knows.
I've had CCM's for years and remember being really excited when CCM announced they were going to build the GP450 back in the day. I had a test ride on the prototype, back when Alice Flooks was CCM's sales manager and have read the reviews/reports over the years. (big thanks to Minkyhead - always a pleasure to read your unbiased, detailed, real world reviews)
Anyway, I've never really been able to justify buying one whilst I've still got both my CCM 640 Supermoto & 604 Trail bikes. I still like the idea of one bike doing both jobs and l'm very keen to see the GP600 when it comes out BUT my old Rotax CCM's are 135kg, 600cc(+).
So I really don't know how I'm going to convince myself - I'm really trying to find a reason/excuse to buy one as I do like my CCM's but, apart from a bigger petrol tank/longer fuel range, I'm struggling to see what it could do that my 604 can't.
It's all good fun.
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

My bike was one of the last to be made, so perhaps some of the documented issues had been resolved.
It did have some issues which were corrected at its first service......
Left side heated grip rotated around the bar when the heat was on.
Handle bars set-up pointing slightly to the right rather than dead centre.
The riding lights stopped working.
The low fuel light didn't come on.
With the engine operating at full-fat, power commander and quill exhaust, it's a fun bike.
It's unique and I really can't fault it...... well, perhaps may be the noise of the quill exhaust does become obtrusive after a while.
I'd say mission accomplished CCM, they set out to build a lightweight, all roads, fun bike with decent comfort and weather protection and they did just that.
It's a yes from me.
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

SteveW wrote:My bike was one of the last to be made, so perhaps some of the documented issues had been resolved.

I'd say that was quite a bit wrong for a freshly pdi'd brand new bike from a local small manufacturer :whistle:
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
jonny955

Post by jonny955 »

johnnyboxer wrote:
SteveW wrote:My bike was one of the last to be made, so perhaps some of the documented issues had been resolved.

I'd say that was quite a bit wrong for a freshly pdi'd brand new bike from a local small manufacturer :whistle:
"All corrected at the first service". To put this into perspective, just google the rust & corrosion problems that many GS/GSA riders have discovered. If it's in month 13 of ownership, owners are struggling to claim anything from BMW who stipulate maximum 12 months warranty on the paintwork. The pictures are shocking and would put you off spending £17K on a new GSA but folk still do it.

We fitted a new set of WP forks to my wife's 2.5 year old GP450 recently. The seals started to leak within 300 miles, although the bike is quite useable. CCM have sent out replacement seals and are organising a mechanic to come to the house to change them over. No quibble. Now, we are talking about a failure on a part supplied by one of the best quality suspension manufacturers in the business so this could happen to any top-end bike. I would only ever expect that kind of service from the best of the best dealers in the UK but maybe I've lived a sheltered life!

The bikes certainly hit the fun spot. My wife's low suspension SM set up is completely bonkers down the tight twisty single track unclassified roads yet comfy for touring and cruising at 70+mph.

They aren't for everyone and I respect that others may not like taking a risk buying from a bespoke manufacturer but the OP's question was "Was it any good?".

Yes, and it still is :)

Jon
WIBO

Post by WIBO »

jonny955 wrote:
johnnyboxer wrote:

"All corrected at the first service". To put this into perspective, just google the rust & corrosion problems that many GS/GSA riders have discovered. If it's in month 13 of ownership, owners are struggling to claim anything from BMW who stipulate maximum 12 months warranty on the paintwork. The pictures are shocking and would put you off spending £17K on a new GSA but folk still do it.

We fitted a new set of WP forks to my wife's 2.5 year old GP450 recently. The seals started to leak within 300 miles, although the bike is quite useable. CCM have sent out replacement seals and are organising a mechanic to come to the house to change them over. No quibble. Now, we are talking about a failure on a part supplied by one of the best quality suspension manufacturers in the business so this could happen to any top-end bike. I would only ever expect that kind of service from the best of the best dealers in the UK but maybe I've lived a sheltered life!

The bikes certainly hit the fun spot. My wife's low suspension SM set up is completely bonkers down the tight twisty single track unclassified roads yet comfy for touring and cruising at 70+mph.

They aren't for everyone and I respect that others may not like taking a risk buying from a bespoke manufacturer but the OP's question was "Was it any good?".

Yes, and it still is :)

Jon

Fair point.....

( I just googled for those images :blink: )
Will It Buff Out?
jonny955

Post by jonny955 »

BMW appear to be resisting claims of corrosion WITHIN the 12 month warranty too :ohmy:
...but there are plenty of happy GS/GSA owners out there too (thumbs)
Jon
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

While we are mentioning BMW.......BMW (UK) wouldn't cover my 12 month old GSA800 under their manufacturer's warranty whilst I toured the States on it. They only cover the bike if it's in Europe.
CCM's warranty covers you anywhere......obviously I'd expect issues if I was in Umbongo-Bongo Land, but they'd do their best for you, unlike most manufacturers of "Adventure" Bikes, they expect you to have a bit of an adventure on their bike.
WIBO

Post by WIBO »

SteveW wrote:While we are mentioning BMW.......BMW (UK) wouldn't cover my 12 month old GSA800 under their manufacturer's warranty whilst I toured the States on it. They only cover the bike if it's in Europe.
CCM's warranty covers you anywhere......obviously I'd expect issues if I was in Umbongo-Bongo Land, but they'd do their best for you, unlike most manufacturers of "Adventure" Bikes, they expect you to have a bit of an adventure on their bike.
So,so, so poor.......

Imagine you'd bought a product whilst working overseas e.g. oil industry and brought it back to your home country......they'd wash their hands of it in the event of a warranty claim ?

What difference does it make really when they export the same product all over the world......even to America and beyond..... you just bought it in a different country...the bike isn't the thing that's different.

So based on that if you had your service history stamped a couple of times whilst in the USA traveling .......then, based on BMW UK's attitude, surely that stamp can not be recognised in the UK and they'd be able to side step a claim because the book wasn't ' fully stamped ' .....all because the ink had an different address on it even though it was from an official BMW workshop.

Idiotic things from grown adults, like this, gets on my goat...

There......I feel better already.

:)

Will It Buff Out?

Return to “BIKES”