CCM GP 450......was it any good?

The Things We Ride
roberteagle6

Re: CCM GP 450......was it any good?

Post by roberteagle6 »

I have been reading the posts with great interest as I collected my 450 SR in April. I had exchanged my 2016 GP450 for the latest model - Hydraulic clutch - 6 speed - and extra 25% power.
My original bike had covered 7000mls, fuelling issues aside ( improved with the PC) it had performed well, and met my needs - very light, responsive when a quick overtake is required.
The 450 SR is a pleasure to ride and immense fun, the extra grunt, wow ! - recorded a true 95mph on the way to Plymouth for the crossing to Spain and onto Portugal. High revving but easy to maintain between 80/90 motorway cruising if that's your bag. Really enjoyed riding it.
Alas, I have encountered some serious mechanical problems having completed the 1500mile trip - 2000mls on the clock. After some extremely poor communications I have gained CCM's attention and I have to say they appear to be prepared to move heaven and earth to sort it. Having reviewed my choice I still feel that it is the perfect bike for me. It is still with CCM but I understand that the issues have been addressed and following an extended road test I hope to get it back next week.
EarthWorm

Post by EarthWorm »

I bet the 6 gear box makes a huge difference, but where does the 25% extra power claim come from?
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration
P4ulie

Post by P4ulie »

EarthWorm wrote:I bet the 6 gear box makes a huge difference, but where does the 25% extra power claim come from?
The SR has the power pack as standard (PC & quill exhaust) so uncorked from 40 - 52 bhp. That's plenty enough power for me & I had no trouble keeping up with a couple of GS1200's round the Peak District & Yorkshire Dales the other week. It will accelerate hard up until about 90 mph (thumbs)
With enough profanity, you can accomplish anything
catcitrus

Post by catcitrus »

minkyhead wrote:
catcitrus wrote:I'm sure it is a great bike---but only after its "sorted"--gearbox, re-map etc just to get it to start and perform as it should. Most people don't have the ability to diagnose and sort it themselves and rely on CCM--its not fair on them(the customers) to have so many basic issues on what is a great concept. I'm sure that they have learnt a hard lesson as all the recalls etc must have drained their profit margin--and time.
gearbox is not neccassary its the low fueling that seems to effect most folks

the boche ecu on the ccm is open to drag and drop ..two hours on a dyno would sort out the low lean fueling

personally i wouldn mess about .... thats what i would do ? give it to a expert to smooth it out ..these guys know whats hot and whats not id just give them and trust them to sort it ..

its a fact that the low fueling is for emissions and that is not confined to one make for sure

pleanty of fuel injected road bikes need the same treatement and 690s are not exactly blameless when it comes to remapping far from it ..a full akro on them is near 1200 quid before mapping so choose yer poison

even me crf benifitted from a dyno run recently after fitting a fuel controler ...45 quid for a hours a/f check run ...???

sorry chris but the days of the plug chop are well and truly over

I don't disagree with anything that you have said--you have worked long and hard to make the bike work--and really you shouldn't have had to do all this--what you now have is very far from "standard". Slight lean spots for emissions are one thing, but basic running gremlins from an expensive factory bike are quite another in this day and age . I agree that a decent tuner can sort it--I couldn't as I don't have either the dyno or the instrumentation--but that really answers the question--they should have sorted it at the factory. KTMs come with all kinds of restrictions for emission purposes(EXCFs etc), the dealer then adds all the "normal" bits to make it work--and you get it after signing a declaration that it will be used for "competition" use--but that doesn't stop it being registered and used on the road--I don't see why CCM can't do the same and sort it out at the factory with a Power Commander or similar.
EarthWorm

Post by EarthWorm »

P4ulie wrote:
EarthWorm wrote:I bet the 6 gear box makes a huge difference, but where does the 25% extra power claim come from?
The SR has the power pack as standard (PC & quill exhaust) so uncorked from 40 - 52 bhp. That's plenty enough power for me & I had no trouble keeping up with a couple of GS1200's round the Peak District & Yorkshire Dales the other week. It will accelerate hard up until about 90 mph (thumbs)
Cheers I need to look into geting a power commander, Bloomin expensive for folk like me though
The Sarge

Post by The Sarge »

EarthWorm wrote:
P4ulie wrote:
Cheers I need to look into geting a power commander, Bloomin expensive for folk like me though

Just buy the unit from Dyna and I can send you the map, it will save you a fair bit as CCM make a killing (thumbs)
scoobydidler

Post by scoobydidler »

roberteagle6 wrote:I have been reading the posts with great interest as I collected my 450 SR in April. I had exchanged my 2016 GP450 for the latest model - Hydraulic clutch - 6 speed - and extra 25% power.

My original bike had covered 7000mls, fuelling issues aside ( improved with the PC) it had performed well, and met my needs - very light, responsive when a quick overtake is required.

The 450 SR is a pleasure to ride and immense fun, the extra grunt, wow ! - recorded a true 95mph on the way to Plymouth for the crossing to Spain and onto Portugal. High revving but easy to maintain between 80/90 motorway cruising if that's your bag. Really enjoyed riding it.

Alas, I have encountered some serious mechanical problems having completed the 1500mile trip - 2000mls on the clock. After some extremely poor communications I have gained CCM's attention and I have to say they appear to be prepared to move heaven and earth to sort it. Having reviewed my choice I still feel that it is the perfect bike for me. It is still with CCM but I understand that the issues have been addressed and following an extended road test I hope to get it back next week.
Lets hope so mate. The bike does suit you, particularly on the black stuff, it's a really quick twisties tool. Ridden with Sid a bit recently and its every bit as fast round corners in his hands!
It shouldn't have been such a convoluted process to get it put right but assuming it gets there and stays there, I'm sure you'll forgive it ☺️

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk
Brenhden

Post by Brenhden »

Reading all this with interest as I fancy something newish with these characteristics. Looking on eBay there are a lot for sale considering the low number actually sold in the UK and the time of year. Do owners not want to keep them?
And now, Harry, let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure.

Suzuki DR200 Djebel.
🇬🇧🇫🇷🇧🇪🇱🇺🇪🇸🇬🇷🇩🇪
EarthWorm

Post by EarthWorm »

The Sarge wrote:
EarthWorm wrote:
P4ulie wrote:

Just buy the unit from Dyna and I can send you the map, it will save you a fair bit as CCM make a killing (thumbs)
Cheers Sarge, will keep that in mind
roberteagle6

Post by roberteagle6 »

Hi Guys, an up-date is overdue - troubles getting onto this site and been away a lot, so only recently got the chance to give the bike a thorough test. Having had the initial issues, the bike seemed great on a few short blasts locally. Well I attended the recent ABC North East meet and managed to add 900 mls over the weekend. The bike now starts on the button - Hot or Cold and is running like a dream.

So I have to say a big thanks to the CCM team for sorting it out. Yes it would have been better had the issues not occurred, but at least they have done their best to sort it. I now have a lightweight machine that I can pick up relatively easily when I get it wrong on the trails - it has a 180 to 200 mile tank range (yes I have trouble controlling my right wrist - but its such fun !) and its a blast on the twisties - looking forward to adding lots more miles - YEP I THINK ITS ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT.

Return to “BIKES”