Re: CCM GP 450......was it any good?

Post by WIBO »

Great stuff....keep at it!!

:D
Will It Buff Out?
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

My 450s has the quill exhaust and power pack.
It was great on my recent Bulgarian trip. I called into CCM last week to pick up a set of rear footrests.
They've still got a few ex-show/demonstrater 450's left.
Their designers are working on lightening the frame to negate some of the extra weight of the next model's SWM engine.
I'd feared that CCM would abandon the lightweight travel market, I'd think there is easier money to be made from models like the Spitfire.
Who fancies a GP650?
minkyhead

Post by minkyhead »

ive ridden a swm 650r and the engine is a peach ...but will be subject to the age old on/off road gearing cunnundum ....

pity the 650r was wrong for me ...suspension was awful ..and ergos wrong i tell you in all honesty if its was a better fit i may well have bought one ..but it just felt wrong on the pegs and the suspension was plain wrong for off road ... i really liked a lot of it but by the time id fixed it so to speak and adventurised it the 5600 would be nearer 7000 .... and i only paid 7045 for the last ccm ?

i dont know how much they can get out of te frame the currant one is obly 9kgms ??

it was like a xt660 with a sixth gear but loads more tractable ...sixth gear at 40 mph ..twist and go ......it hasnt got the raw hard charging feel of the uncorked ccm ..but is like a turbine smooth road power ..i like the engine a lot
the price will be a big factor for me ..bet its good though
whats the wether forcast ..wheres me map
Paul_C

Post by Paul_C »

Just back from covering almost 3000 miles in Spain. A week doing trails around Oliana. Then worked west along the Vibraction cross Pyrenees route. Then further west on the TET. Excellent trip. Blown fork seal and a puncture, just one of those things. Both mudguard stays fractured, it was the second right one. I'll be making my own replacements this time. In my opinion the ideal bike for the trip.
Just along for the ride.
Husqvarna 901 Norden. Husqvarna 701 Enduro. Moto Guzzi LeMans II.
frenchy3

Post by frenchy3 »

minkyhead wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:19 pm ive ridden a swm 650r and the engine is a peach ...but will be subject to the age old on/off road gearing cunnundum ....

pity the 650r was wrong for me ...suspension was awful ..and ergos wrong i tell you in all honesty if its was a better fit i may well have bought one ..but it just felt wrong on the pegs and the suspension was plain wrong for off road ... i really liked a lot of it but by the time id fixed it so to speak and adventurised it the 5600 would be nearer 7000 .... and i only paid 7045 for the last ccm ?

i dont know how much they can get out of te frame the currant one is obly 9kgms ??

it was like a xt660 with a sixth gear but loads more tractable ...sixth gear at 40 mph ..twist and go ......it hasnt got the raw hard charging feel of the uncorked ccm ..but is like a turbine smooth road power ..i like the engine a lot
the price will be a big factor for me ..bet its good though
I was looking at a newer bike and there appears to be no sight of the CCM adventure bike with the SWM/Husky 600 engine in it. I even considered a CCM GP450 until i read this thread as there are a few really low mileage ones on ebay. I am exited by the AJP PR7. Again this is a small manufacturer like CCM with interesting bikes but AJP owners really suffer when it is time to sell in terms of the resale value. I havent ridden a Husqvarna TE630 or the SWM RS650R but the six speed gearbox and reviews of the engine make me think anything with this engine in would be something i am interested in. There is one SWM RS650R left brand new on ebay but although the price is good it is now a discontinued model and for long distance travel a luggage system and larger fuel tank could be required. The PR7 already has Pamir making racks and pannier side frames and it has an underseat 17 ltr fuel tank. I think i need to get a ride on a AJP PR7 before parting with £8500
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

I'll answer my own question.
CCM GP 450....was it any good?
Yes it was/is!
Despite all the bluster CCM were the only manufacturer (with the possible exception of the slightly Lardy Royal Enfield Himalayan) to deliver on a proper off road travel bike.
It's light and it's a ball of fun.
Last edited by SteveW on Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jak*

Post by Jak* »

If mine had been reliable, the finish had been better and the factory had not been so complacent about the faults, I would have agreed with you Steve. As it was, it was the most expensive mistake I have made in over 35 years of riding. In my experience the Himalayan is a vastly better motorcycle, a lot heavier yes, but I can get on mine and expect to get to where I am heading. I do not carry a litre of oil everywhere with me either ar I had to on the CCM
Good luck to those who have still got their GP 450s. I just wish the Himalayan had been available when I bought mine and I would not have wasted so much time and money.
Cheers Jak
minkyhead

Post by minkyhead »

be 5 years in may ... things have broke ..things have been fixed ijust did it meself .. overall ive no real complaints tbo 8-) 8-) 8-)

whats the wether forcast ..wheres me map
PaulinBont

Post by PaulinBont »

Following this thread with interest especially the comparisons with the Himalayan ( yes I know they are chalk and cheese but do the same thing albeit from opposite ends of the spectrum)

Would I replace my 450 for the Enfield, I wish I knew.....
frenchy3

Post by frenchy3 »

PaulinBont wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:03 pm Following this thread with interest especially the comparisons with the Himalayan ( yes I know they are chalk and cheese but do the same thing albeit from opposite ends of the spectrum)

Would I replace my 450 for the Enfield, I wish I knew.....
I know the dilemma,at my age i know the Himalayan would do everything i can as a rider and more its just the eternal conundrum,what other bikes are there,what are they like and a case of too many bikes,too little time!

Return to “BIKES”