CCM GP 450......was it any good?

The Things We Ride
andyfrizzle

Re: CCM GP 450......was it any good?

Post by andyfrizzle »

catcitrus wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:51 pm I think the KTM 640A is worth a mention--did 45k on mine with the only problem being a 15 quid fix on the inlet roller followers--apart from that everything original including brake pads---a bit viby, but 600 mile days were possible, 6 gallons of fuel, good luggage capacity, top suspension, and for a big single very handy offroad. Its interesting that so called "adventure " bikes are heading back in that direction on size and weight--and fuel capacity
I agree the 640 Adventure is a tremendous bike, the holder of the 'best lightweight adventure travel motorcycle' crown even after it's production ended, that is until the CCM GP450 came along and took the title, and another make/model will hopefully appear in the coming years that will take that title before internal combustion engines become socially unacceptable1
Crossrutted

Post by Crossrutted »

I went to test ride the CCM when it first came out. I really wanted to like it for a variety of reasons, I 'd had CCM's in the past, liked the design concept and had no concerns re the engine.
The test ride was disappointing - the bike felt too short, I seemed to be sitting on the bars. The cost when properly equipped was going to be just shy of £10K :shock:
CCM's sales patter was off putting too.

So I didn't buy; and given the tales of woe that surfaced, boy was I lucky! CCM could have made it a big seller, if only they had the assembly and commercial nouse.

I've had a KTM 640A, was a great bike in most respects off road, vibration on road was an issue. ( I still think it's the best looking KTM ever.)

I now have a AJP PR7, superior to both the CCM and 640A IMHO. It is comfortable, has good components, doesn't need £££'s spending to make it suitable for it's advertised purpose. The engine is well proven (basically an updated Husky TE 630).
PR7's have racked up many km's/miles for European and Australian owners (who got them 2 years before the UK).

I've used mine for trail riding in UK, taken it across France, Andorra, Spain & back. Will cruise at 70mph and would go significantly faster, Officer.

It is slim and feels light to ride - as bike's in this class should.

It gets my vote as the natural successor to the 640A, the CCM was a missed opportunity IMO.
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

The AJP does look really good. And nearer the right weight for a proper off-road adv bike. I like the simplicity of the well-proven Huskie engine but also things like the underseat 17 litre fuel tank and the tablet dash for GPS as standard.

Has anyone tried the Doma exhaust/ECU/air intake kit? Supposed to add 12bhp apparently!

I wonder how the AJP PR7 compares with the SWM that uses the same engine...
Crossrutted

Post by Crossrutted »

daveuprite wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:55 am The AJP does look really good. And nearer the right weight for a proper off-road adv bike. I like the simplicity of the well-proven Huskie engine but also things like the underseat 17 litre fuel tank and the tablet dash for GPS as standard.

Has anyone tried the Doma exhaust/ECU/air intake kit? Supposed to add 12bhp apparently!

I wonder how the AJP PR7 compares with the SWM that uses the same engine...

I can help you with that...

I sold my SWM RS650R to get the AJP PR7. The PR7 is very different. The SWM was lower and slightly shorter (length). The seat was uncomfortable and limited movement ( A reupholster did not resolve that).

The SWM engine was smooth, adequate but slightly lethargic compared to a 690/701. My PR7 has had the Doma/ECU/ Intake mods from new. It feels far more urgent than the SWM did, comparable to 690/701.
Overall the PR7 is more focussed off road than the SWM was. Longer travel suspension, better weight distribution, good ergos (for me).

The closed/open throttle fuelling is not perfect, alternative mappings are available. For road and fast trail it is no issue, slow, difficult terrain needs more care. No worse than some other bikes I've ridden.

Couple of niggles - needs a exhaust guard at low level if you don't want to burn holes in your over the boot trousers and rear brake adjustment range could be better.

Component and build standard is really good - I've not found anything I didn't like as yet and I am fussy.
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

V interesting - there can't be many peeps who have owned both. The AJP looks more purposeful too.

Couple of things - the exhaust is underneath - does it not get bashed up on rock steps, or is the guard good enough?

Can you get racks for luggage. I guess so, because it's an ideal long-distance TET bike.
catcitrus

Post by catcitrus »

garyboy wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:06 pm a mate of mine.. Tim .. has got a 640 .. had it years and swears by it (in a good way lol) .. and leads trails in Iceland with it too ........ so it must be a great bike 8-)

.. just checked ... 149kg dry weight ... sheesh ... 8-) 8-)
Timolgra I think!--I know Tim--fortunately he is tall and can prod the thing upright--ground clearance and suspension travel come at a price. Tim has a set of my tank guards fitted--well battered but doing their job. Interestingly I still get orders for these--the 640As that are out there are still loved and used properly. Such a well specified bike that you really didn't need to add much--they even had a nav tower type loop for extra kit. Oil changes are a pain--two filters with some oil in the downtube--just over 2 litres if memory serves--but at least you could get at everything. Once the fuel lines were off and the low level wiring unclipped it was just 4 bolts to take the whole top fairing off and then one bolt for the tank--this area is where the CCM fails badly--I've seen the wiring etc!
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

Yes .. the `Tim` part of timolgra .... great guy, and a real expert in all things `bike`.

Apologies .. i have not read the other comments, as i am quite tired atm, but they all seem very knowledgeable
8-) 8-)
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

garyboy wrote:Yes .. the `Tim` part of timolgra .... great guy, and a real expert in all things `bike`.

Apologies .. i have not read the other comments, as i am quite tired atm, but they all seem very knowledgeable
8-) 8-)
Where does the Olgra, come from ?
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

been wondering that myself ... for years :? :D
Crossrutted

Post by Crossrutted »

daveuprite wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:38 pm V interesting - there can't be many peeps who have owned both. The AJP looks more purposeful too.

Couple of things - the exhaust is underneath - does it not get bashed up on rock steps, or is the guard good enough?

Can you get racks for luggage. I guess so, because it's an ideal long-distance TET bike.
I haven't bashed my exhaust yet, although some have. Others have had their bashplate strengthened. Mine has withstood trails in Wales, Andorra and the Pyrenees whilst fully laded so maybe I'm just lucky.

Various luggage racks available - I use rack and pannier rails from a Portuguese company - Pamir, well made and easy to fit.

I've not warmed to the tablet as yet, but the mounting system makes it a simple job to swap between tablet, Garmin or roadbook as need dictates.

And as you say, it looks "right" - unlike the Yamaha T7 "shed on wheels" ! :o :lol:

Return to “BIKES”