minkyhead

Re: CCM GP 450......was it any good?

Post by minkyhead »

deleted
whats the wether forcast ..wheres me map
Sanqhar

Post by Sanqhar »

The problems seem to revolve around the SR (high power) version.

On both versions there is a special way to check the oil level. This is critical.

Tom
... and today was a good day in the life of...
The Sarge

Post by The Sarge »

PaulinBont wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:50 pm My old GP450 is for sale in MandP.

If anyone wants feedback, I'm happy to oblige
Hi Paul, hope you're well ?

What did you replace the CCM with ?

Regards

Sarge
PaulinBont

Post by PaulinBont »

Bonjour mon ami:)

Part-ex'ed for a new CB500X Sarge, which has now been 'Rally Raided'.

Love it!
The Sarge

Post by The Sarge »

PaulinBont wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:32 pm Bonjour mon ami:)

Part-ex'ed for a new CB500X Sarge, which has now been 'Rally Raided'.

Love it!
Good to hear, I went the T700 route and it has proved all that the hype claimed 👍
HedgeHopper

Post by HedgeHopper »

I can't believe the second hand prices they are still fetching?.
I wouldnt mind one with a 6 speed box if it was cheap enough (it isnt), having owned a G450X for a couple of years I don't think its a suitable engine for any distance with the standard 5 speed and even with a power commander fitted I never got the low speed fuelling sorted.
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

The prices seem to be holding firm at above £5k...so can the bikes all really be that bad?

Is it just a matter of sorting the injection?

Never ridden one, but I saw one taking part in the Exeter Trial and it seemed to be doing OK.
mechanic

Post by mechanic »

I had a TE511 Husky, same engine/ gearbox unit as the 6speed CCMs. Engine mapping was a nightmare. Weeks of dealer time under warranty, with lots of expensive components replaced. Never got it sorted, with very low speed running and stalling/flame out issues. Wasted 1 year off my off road life! Eventually found there were all like that. Got rid once out of warranty, should have been earlier. The KTM 500 exc I replaced it with was night and day improvement. The best feature on the husky was it’s constant chain tension, design of rear suspension. Ohhh, and it’s 6 speed box had very close racing gear ratios, so no nice easy highway cruising speed.
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

I only tried one briefly (Paul in Bont's) and that was on a trail …. as soon as I got on I felt confident …. and that is highly unusual for me, .. off tarmac. It felt Great !!! .. low down pull, low seat (the low option) and very very stable …. It felt much better than my CRF250L .. much smoother and much more solid/ fixed to the ground. .. I wanted to race it straight away .. and I am a slow old get :lol:

It would do 80 mph easily on the motorways, but I always felt it was straining a bit, wot wiv that small single piston 450 engine, especially against my smooth and cool NC750 honda twin .. but it would wouldn't it. .. and I rarely did over 80 anyway, to save on petrol .. but in tight twisty roads I had a job to keep up with Paul.. (obviously the bike not the rider :lol: )

I did notice that it sometimes would not start on the first kick .. or was it button? .. and backfired a bit but once going it seemed fab. ..and did not show any hesitancy .. so find it surprising, and sad, that it has such a bad press. .. it seemed the ideal bike !!

.. even so .. I am glad that Paul has come to his senses and got himself a good Honda :D :D :D 8-) ..... :lol:
PaulinBont

Post by PaulinBont »

Did a 6 000 mile trip on mine on motorways, rural roads, mountain passes, steppe and very very bad Russian roads. The bike coped admirably well.

The only gripes being things the factory could have sorted: the low fuel warning light ( no fuel gauge) would come on with anything between 5 and 40 miles remaining depending on the mood it was in. Hence I once run dry :(

Also the tiny lithium battery would die without warning and without any hint it was low.......ask me how I know :(

Both big issues for me as reliability and dependability are everything to me.

Return to “BIKES”