CCM GP 450......was it any good?

The Things We Ride
P4ulie

Re: CCM GP 450......was it any good?

Post by P4ulie »

The Sarge wrote:
P4ulie wrote:It's the first bike I've had with a lithium battery so have nothing to compare against.......but yes it's hard to start (if keeping your finger on the starter is hard ) but it does start.

I saw the e mail & Facebook message regarding overfilling the engine. So far mines good, you have to learn the bike....don't overfill the oil, chain slack 10mm.

I haven't received an email from CCM and couldn't join their Feckbook page, must be blacklisted for not living the dream :pinch:
If you need it Sarge I can try & dig it out for you? It is quite specific on the process, I'm more used to just pulling out & drain plug & going off for a cuppa
With enough profanity, you can accomplish anything
catcitrus

Post by catcitrus »

P4ulie wrote:It's the first bike I've had with a lithium battery so have nothing to compare against.......but yes it's hard to start (if keeping your finger on the starter is hard ) but it does start.

I saw the e mail & Facebook message regarding overfilling the engine. So far mines good, you have to learn the bike....don't overfill the oil, chain slack 10mm.
Li batteries need a "kick start"--especially the latest and smaller Li iron--there is an official KTM youtube video that says press the button briefly to wake up the battery with a slight discharge, then wait a little bit, and then it will crank. However, if the bikes are cranking over at a reasonable speed then they should start--its not like flooding a carb fed engine.
On the overfilling issue my 1989 NX 250 has a complex condensation system from the crankcase breather that very effectively captures any oil mist, allows it to condense, and then drain back into the crankcase--and you know how compact those bikes are. The japanese sorted it way back then--amazing that that engine has gone through three bike builders without a basic vapour capture system built in--they don't carry that much oil--you can't afford to just lose some, and more importantly can it ingest any dirt or water in the wrong place--if oil is getting out then muck can get in?
Jak*

Post by Jak* »

I think this link will take you to the info on oil level.
https://gallery.mailchimp.com/754651e53 ... _level.pdf
Presumably having followed this procedure it should be possible to work out what the oil level should look like when cold and keep an eye on that way, which would be a lot easier.
Cheers Jak
Sanqhar

Post by Sanqhar »

You don't need to be in the Facebook group to read page 21 of the Workshop Manual or page 5-3 of the Owners Manual
Tom
... and today was a good day in the life of...
EarthWorm

Post by EarthWorm »

If the engine is pretty much the same as the G450X, I would rate it adequate, it really needs 6 gears and a better fuel map.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration
minkyhead

Post by minkyhead »

just been out on mine all morning ..fast ..very fast firetracks on the moss ...ice lolly break and a bit of slow speed practice on the leafy lanes

its superb ..i know some pretty good riders and i dont think any of them would want to go quicker it will charge real hard to 80mph in fourth gear ...suspension is impressive ..me old tenere would start hinging in the middle at 50 mph on some of them big dips ..the ccm is effortless for a adv bike platform its pretty dam good

still buzzin love me nova gearbox ...tiny 1/2 ..and long overdrive 5th

its a stark contrast to me crf rally that will bob along in fifth gear at 30mph ..the ccm wants to go it wants to be let loose ..the crf is fabulouse bike to ride slowly and the ccm a fabulouse bike to ride fast ..the power up and pcv kit have the fueling sorted and delivers a strong tourque ..you can literally stop the bike feet up in 2nd gear and walk it on using the rear brake and clutch easiy no bother at all n snatch no trouble (thumbs) ...

is it any good .....yes very very good indeed (thumbs)

ImageDSC_0049 by minkyhead56, on Flickr[/img]
whats the wether forcast ..wheres me map
EarthWorm

Post by EarthWorm »

if its got a tiny 1/2 and you get to 80 in fourth the gaps between 2-3-4 must be frigging huge, too big for what is a not an exactly tractable engine
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration
catcitrus

Post by catcitrus »

I'm sure it is a great bike---but only after its "sorted"--gearbox, re-map etc just to get it to start and perform as it should. Most people don't have the ability to diagnose and sort it themselves and rely on CCM--its not fair on them(the customers) to have so many basic issues on what is a great concept. I'm sure that they have learnt a hard lesson as all the recalls etc must have drained their profit margin--and time.
minkyhead

Post by minkyhead »

EarthWorm wrote:if its got a tiny 1/2 and you get to 80 in fourth the gaps between 2-3-4 must be frigging huge, too big for what is a not an exactly tractable engine
its a proper split box ..it actually works pretty well ..the bike has big tourque
ive settled on 14/52 gearing from the standard 15/46 ..that is in effect a 9 cog diffrence on a rear :woohoo:
it has scope to become even more road freindly but i think its the optimun comprimise for the bike ..when used off road alot ..it feels like it will climb anything in 2nd gear .. (thumbs) and amazingly the bike is happy at 80mph on the motorway with this gearing too :silly:

ist and 2nd are spot on for tight knarly stuff ...third acteually bridges quite well you can ride ruts at 12mph with a whiff of clutch but it will go well south of 60mph ..fourth will pull from 25mph on the road and hit 80 ..and fifth is ok from 42/43 but really picks up from 50mph
comfortable minimun shift points being 4th at 27mph and fifth at 45 mph ..if you want to go fast just hold the gear
..it hasnt got that dynamic braap braap hit through the gears of the close box but for dual sport it works well it has long pulling power in three four five more suited to the road but its still pretty dam fast
it would be usless in the race game .. it was really made to work very well when the extra power up kit was fitted
it does have a very long spread ..that works well ...its like fitting a 13 tooth front for one and two and then fitting a 17 for four five and thidd does actually brige pretty dam well its not bogging down or too gappy at all ..on the road 2nd is only for super tight left right turns or 180s ..it will run with third from nowt with a bit of clutch
in the ideal world a six speed with the same spread would be awsome ..but it does a surprisingy good job ...
i played with gearing quite alot and in the 14/52 seems a prettty good spot
minkyhead

Post by minkyhead »

catcitrus wrote:I'm sure it is a great bike---but only after its "sorted"--gearbox, re-map etc just to get it to start and perform as it should. Most people don't have the ability to diagnose and sort it themselves and rely on CCM--its not fair on them(the customers) to have so many basic issues on what is a great concept. I'm sure that they have learnt a hard lesson as all the recalls etc must have drained their profit margin--and time.
gearbox is not neccassary its the low fueling that seems to effect most folks

the boche ecu on the ccm is open to drag and drop ..two hours on a dyno would sort out the low lean fueling

personally i wouldn mess about .... thats what i would do ? give it to a expert to smooth it out ..these guys know whats hot and whats not id just give them and trust them to sort it ..

its a fact that the low fueling is for emissions and that is not confined to one make for sure

pleanty of fuel injected road bikes need the same treatement and 690s are not exactly blameless when it comes to remapping far from it ..a full akro on them is near 1200 quid before mapping so choose yer poison

even me crf benifitted from a dyno run recently after fitting a fuel controler ...45 quid for a hours a/f check run ...??? the little honda was set up real lean up to 4k but it wasnt lieke the ccm ..point being its pretty much spot on now much better lower off the gas

sorry chris but the days of the plug chop are well and truly over ive had severel bikes set up on adyno and its the best option if your fueling is out i think

Return to “BIKES”