CCM GP 450......was it any good?

The Things We Ride
P4ulie

Re: CCM GP 450......was it any good?

Post by P4ulie »

For an alternative perspective.....just back from 2500 miles. Saddle was fine for 400 mile days (bit uncomfortable towards the end...what isn't) but next day back on the bike with no grumbles.
I feckin love it; engine & gearbox spot on, power delivery with the PC & quill is hooliganesque, especially as you can upshift without the clutch. I had one stall & one cut out after a miserable 6 junctions of the M6 in torrential downpour once at a set of lights. It fired back up after a minute (electrics are not sealed perfectly :( )
It's a beast to ride & light as a feather (thumbs)
With enough profanity, you can accomplish anything
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

The GP450 is basically a very good bike.
It pretty much hits the spot for solo, light weight all-road travel.....actually all/no road travel.
The Quill and power commander are very important additions. They smooth out the low down fueling and make it a fun bike.
Mine was let down by a shoddy PDI, so it had some silly niggling issues, which were corrected at the first service.
I've not had any further issues and I like mine.
Jak*

Post by Jak* »

Hi Paulie, do you have the high or low seat? Mine has the high seat which you would logically expect to be better but when you push down on mine the foam just gives. I had a look at Keith's at the ABR and he has the low seat but the foam is much firmer. Whether they just pad out the top of the low seat with soft foam or whether mine just has a Friday seat, along with Friday injection, Friday powder coating etc etc I am not sure. If I was confident that I was going to keep the bike I would have the seat taken apart and have some proper foam put in.
Cheers Jak
jonny955

Post by jonny955 »

P4ulie wrote:For an alternative perspective.....just back from 2500 miles. Saddle was fine for 400 mile days (bit uncomfortable towards the end...what isn't) but next day back on the bike with no grumbles.

I feckin love it; engine & gearbox spot on, power delivery with the PC & quill is hooliganesque, especially as you can upshift without the clutch. I had one stall & one cut out after a miserable 6 junctions of the M6 in torrential downpour once at a set of lights. It fired back up after a minute (electrics are not sealed perfectly :( )

It's a beast to ride & light as a feather (thumbs)
Great to hear that, Paulie. I had a feeling you would like it :)

Jon
The Sarge

Post by The Sarge »

Well after a ride from Wales down to Bobs for the ABC Hill Billy weekend in East Sussex, I guess it was too much to expect the 450 to perform without fault. Arrived back home on the Sunday after riding in horrendous rain thinking that my boots were just wet from the amount of water spraying up from the surface, but no it's a flaming oil leek :pinch:
Less than 3500 miles on the clock and its pissing out from the top end somewhere but I can't be arsed looking at it, the heap,is now back in the garage over a drip tray until I return from France in November. Checked the Warranty but you can't claim direct, has to go through a dealer, nearest on is Stafford, doesn't include labour, delivery any service items etc and the final word is with CCM :pinch:

Is it any good ??????

IMG_1823.JPG
IMG_1823.JPG (120.83 KiB) Viewed 1946 times
IMG_1824.JPG
IMG_1824.JPG (116.46 KiB) Viewed 1946 times
minkyhead

Post by minkyhead »

looks to me like its blowing out through the airbox ..any slight overfill will result in a the aibox getting oil from the crank breather prucucing the appearance of a leak ..odds on its that..hope so anyway (thumbs)
whats the wether forcast ..wheres me map
The Sarge

Post by The Sarge »

Steve, I hope you are right but I had ridden 550 miles from picking it up, this occurred in the last 20 or so??
You missed a cracking weekend by the way :pinch:
minkyhead

Post by minkyhead »

yeh sick :sick: im missing everything at the moment grrrrrr ...
looking at the pic it looks to be dripping down the side of the cam covers ??if this is so it almost certainly the airbox ..a bit of overfill and a prolonged higher speed run are the usual ingrediants for this ..
there isnt usually any payback once the oil level is low enough ..they are very fickle with oil level ..when it cold you dont want anything showing in the window at all .if you then rock the bike and see justa tiny touch at the botton of the glass its good ..goes againt your instincts but it works thatway :silly:
..when its properly warm it will show well above half on expansion ..if its showing any substantial level in the glass when cold its overfilled ...
..anyway hope that what it it is fingers crossed
whats the wether forcast ..wheres me map
catcitrus

Post by catcitrus »

A chap at the Midlands Rally had one--only since March I think--and his started leaking oil from the top somewhere--it was a warm day--but the leak only started after his ride to the rallye, the trail ride, and then a lap or two of the enduro course. If its draining from the airbox is it being filled up from the crankcase breather?--and is there not a longish tube with a squidged end that allows the bike to run in water, and then can be squeezed to drain--that would confirm where the oil was coming from?
chunky butt

Post by chunky butt »

On my g450x (basically same engine ) I can only squeeze 1050ml of oil in, any more and it pisses out of air box, you can actually here it "belch" oil in to the air box when you turn her off. :ohmy: but saying that I normally over fill by mistake, and have had no probs (thumbs) . No what you mean minky about the site glass :whistle:

Return to “BIKES”