CCM GP 450......was it any good?

The Things We Ride
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

jonny955 wrote:Hey, don't shoot the messenger!

If you want proof, you'll have to ask those who post on UKGSer forum.

I think they are good bikes, by the way :)

Jon
I wasn't commenting on whether new 1200 WC 's exhibit corrosion or not - that is not the issue (messenger or not)

I was pulling you up on your allegation that the manufacturer only allowed warranty claims for paint defects within the first 12 months after registration

This is untrue

Are you going to retract your earlier statements to this false allegation ?
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
SteveW

Re: CCM GP 450......was it any good?

Post by SteveW »

Dazzer wrote:
johnnyboxer wrote:
jonny955 wrote:
Haha - which claim would you like me to substantiate?;
The incorrect allegation that BMW would only correct paint defect claims on a new bike for an initial period of 12 months, in the 2 year warranty period

That is fabricated by you, a claim you are unable to substantiate, is factually incorrect and potentially libellous
That is clearly untrue and you know it
Can I say….BMW are , over rated and overpriced, and nowhere near the build quality they were pre 2005 ?

Back to the CCM…When I had a test ride on all the demo bikes at Haggsbank Bunkhouse I thought the engine was the worst I had ever ridden. Imo it felt like it would disintegrate at any minute. I also rode the bike which had won Pikes Peak. I would like to shake the hand of the rider who managed that because ( for me weight ) the front and rear suspension did not work together .

Would I have a BMW or CCM given ? Yes . I should think they would sell quick on my Ebay page ;-)
Opinions hey! I know what you mean about that feeling about an engine about to explode, I had the same feeling about a very abused Yamaha LC 350 I had in the late 80's and an Aprila RS250 I had 10 years ago.
But I can't agree with you about the engine in the CCM, I actually think it's a great motor.
I don't think there's been any issues with engine reliability.
It seems to me that most of the issues have been with fairly minor ancillaries, the botched fueling to get through the regs. and some shoddy PDI.
Irritating I agree but once ironed out its a cracking bike.
Jak*

Post by Jak* »

I agree with you Steve but the issue for me is given the fragile nature of some of the components, particularly the finish and the electrics, how long will it last?
Cheer Jak
jonny955

Post by jonny955 »

johnnyboxer wrote:

Jon
I wasn't commenting on whether new 1200 WC 's exhibit corrosion or not - that is not the issue (messenger or not)

I was pulling you up on your allegation that the manufacturer only allowed warranty claims for paint defects within the first 12 months after registration

This is untrue

Johnny, I was referring to reports by BMW GS owners about their own experiences with their own bikes and BMW dealers, all on the UKGSer forum.

I posted one link but there are other examples.

I really don't think it's worth persuing here but by all means go on to that forum and ask them (the GS owners) to prove what they are posting or retract etc.

My point was that owners experiences vary greatly even on mainstream top-drawer bikes so it's not just the GP450.

I hope we can drop the allegations of libel now :)

Jon
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

jonny955 wrote:
johnnyboxer wrote:

Jon

This is untrue

Johnny, I was referring to reports by BMW GS owners about their own experiences with their own bikes and BMW dealers, all on the UKGSer forum.

I posted one link but there are other examples.

I really don't think it's worth persuing here but by all means go on to that forum and ask them (the GS owners) to prove what they are posting or retract etc.

My point was that owners experiences vary greatly even on mainstream top-drawer bikes so it's not just the GP450.

I hope we can drop the allegations of libel now :)

Jon
It wasn't that 1200's corrode or not
I'm sure we all know the answer to that

My issue is that you stated the 12 month BMW warranty on paint defects - that is your incorrect allegation which you seem to be side stepping which puzzled me

Who told you it was 12 months ????
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
Mike54

Post by Mike54 »

Wind your neck in Judge Rinder :laugh:
jonny955

Post by jonny955 »

The BMW owners on the GS forum (as linky before) mention the 12 month paint warranty and also that BMW are in some cases blaming the corrosion on owner maintenance/cleaning. One guy, on that thread, had a BMW rep inspect his 9 month old GS and tried to do this. Others have reported severe corrosion with mixed succeas on warranty claims.
My default position is that I would respect owners reports, especially on a website dedicated to their model. If you think they are stating untruths then why not ask them?
Can we get back on topic now. Although I'm a fan of the GP, I'm keen to hear of owners' experiences that may differ.
Jon
daytona-supersport

Post by daytona-supersport »

Cast your minds back to the introduction hype for the CCM. :whistle:
Bound to be a future collectors bike. As rare as rocking horse shit. Hmm, I do wonder why they are so rare. Possibly because not many were sold. :whistle:
Jak*

Post by Jak* »

I think that they have stopped making them because they cannot meet Euro4 but I could be wrong. The last time mine was taken back to the factory I was told that they had made about 330 bikes of which they had never seen 300 of these. This implies about 10% have gone back for one reason or another and about 400 maximum are going to be made altogether, so maybe in fifty years time they will all be collectors items.
Cheers Jak
felco

Post by felco »

The 450 is probably there most reliable yet, the suzuki engined ones I rode with back in the day never did a full days trail riding, usually electrical problems, the reason I didn't buy one then was word of mouth & mates owning them.
Going on old fashioned feedback thay seem a good reliable bike.but still early days even though production has stopped.

Return to “BIKES”