Honda X-ADV

The Things We Ride
SteveR

Re: Honda X-ADV

Post by SteveR »

92kk k100lt 193214 wrote:
SteveR wrote:
And then you realise, hey I'm 50....plus!! Do I really care what others think, I am comfortable and content, sod 'em!! (thumbs)
Then you find she ticks so many boxes and takes up so little space........who cares what anyone else thinks.....
And if the bike could cook, we could get married.... or at least move in together... :laugh:
catcitrus

Post by catcitrus »

Thanks for the informed replies--I knew it would happen. :laugh:
It has a quoted top speed of 112 mph, over 60 mpg and its a 750!--based on half a car engine that is actually efficient-- being undersquare and not revving much above 6k--its all talk (torque!)--you can get a termignoni silencer for it,crash bars and so on--and store your sandwiches inside your helmet and store that under the seat. In the vids it looks half capable "offroad"--a 160 x 15 rear and trailwings--I'm sure that a more knobbly tyre will get made. Its chain drive and basically conventional--and has a proper chain guard--and a bashplate!
I mentioned to the young salesperson that I had once owned a PC800 in the states (89 model year)--and he had never heard of them--they were too advanced for their time--totally enclosed--lift up pillion seat and pannier tops all built as one , and on a hydraulic strut --even with a vanity mirror and radio in the "trunk"-- which would take two big bags of shopping easily. As quiet as a quiet thing, shaft drive (V twin --3 valve twin plug heads with hydraulic lifters --virtually zero maintenance). That had odd rear shocks left to right and a 16 inch rear if I remember--and would do about 110 mph pinned (but all day)--the Yanks just didn't get it and it "failed"--but essentially almost the same concept as this X-ADV-- a bike for car drivers!!. Its bigger (capacity) than a Berg thingy--but doesn't (IMO) look so big and blobby. I'm way over 50 also--but still riding offroad etc (and the Bulgaria trip!)--I have a tiger 1050 (pre stupid Single sided SA), and that is a real grunt machine and well sorted--so I don't really "need" to change--very little lights my fire these days--but the Honda sort of looks right--and I bet will surprise a lot of "sports bike" riders on acceleration and cornering--passed by a scoot --they'll never live it down!
Jak*

Post by Jak* »

I have thought about a 'superscooter' for winter commuting but the two things that put me off are how well they would cope with the dirt and gravel strewn roads and the tales of costly maintenance. I don't know whether owners can shed any light on these?
Thanks Jak
steve_h80

Post by steve_h80 »

Jak, some maxi's are easy to work on, some aren't. So far I'm finding my silverwing easy, which is good cos most dealers outside the big cities will know bugger all about them.
Getting the rear wheel out for a tyre change isn't much more complicated than my tenere, but very different. Changing the belt is pretty much like changing the chain and sprox.
As for spending £10k on the x-adv I think not. But £10k is out of my limit for any bike, or car.
There again how many people do we see on £15k+ new bikes and in £30k+ cars? For those folks the x-adv is not a serious investment.
And when they get bored in a couple of years I might be interested... :-)
P4ulie

Post by P4ulie »

Jak, a friend of mine had a Piaggio maxi & although he loved it, any form of maintenance was a pita & ridiculously costly if taken in. You had to practically dismantle it down just to remove a wheel. He sold it on after a couple of services.
I tried to have a good look at this at the Excel but a couple of fellas were living the dream on it (I think they were filming themselves) after 5 or so minutes I gave up & moved on. The advert vid really put me off too; I'm not an architect, I'm unlikely to pull some hot stuff at the bar & I'm certainly not going to buy her a designer jacket so she can come for a ride with me down to the marina :whistle:
When my knees are gone & my hips are frail & they're cheap as chips I'm interested
With enough profanity, you can accomplish anything
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

steve_h80 wrote:Jak, some maxi's are easy to work on, some aren't. So far I'm finding my silverwing easy, which is good cos most dealers outside the big cities will know bugger all about them.
Found the same. Lots of plastic to get at some stuff, but what's new, take a look at most bikes these days :-) My Vara needs and hour to get all the plastics off ;)

Belt and the like was doddle once you knew the trick with an air gun or other sneaky tricks... Rear wheel removal, a bit of mission and not for on the roadside repairs, but that is what Plugs and/or Ultraseal is for (thumbs)
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

Jak* wrote:I have thought about a 'superscooter' for winter commuting but the two things that put me off are how well they would cope with the dirt and gravel strewn roads and the tales of costly maintenance. I don't know whether owners can shed any light on these?
Thanks Jak
Little wheel and potholes are not always a success... Beyond that no different to any road bike in my experience. Maintenance no more or less than any modern bike.
catcitrus

Post by catcitrus »

Its going a bit off topic to actual scoots--remember that this is chain drive, has a rising rate rear suspension, centre stand, upside down forks etc--underneath the "skin" its very like a cross tourer, or Africa twin, with DCT--not at all like a belt drive scoot in construction.
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

catcitrus wrote:Its going a bit off topic to actual scoots--remember that this is chain drive, has a rising rate rear suspension, centre stand, upside down forks etc--underneath the "skin" its very like a cross tourer, or Africa twin, with DCT--not at all like a belt drive scoot in construction.
More a development of the Integra which I test rode when it came out, I was VERY impressed other than it was very cramped which defeated the whole object for me. The x-adv looks as if they have addressed that issue...
catcitrus

Post by catcitrus »

Good comparison with the Integra--I'd forgotten about that--as I guess most people have!

Return to “BIKES”