CB500X

The Things We Ride
Gedge

Re: CB500X

Post by Gedge »

Decided to see what the deal was with the CB500X. So as the local Moto hire in Gran Canaria had one listed, i booked it for a day buzzing around the mountain roads...despite the budget fittings and trim, the bike was actually quite good fun, and ideally suited for the tarmac mountain roads ( off roading was forbidden )
Seat was a bit uncomfortable and bike was ideal for shorter riders which meant it was a little cramped for me...
8 hours riding much of it in lower gears for all the hairpins and mountains left me with a grand cost for fuel of โ‚ฌ8.30...
If you visit GC set aside some time for a bike ride...cost me โ‚ฌ72 and worth every cent
jonesthesteam

Post by jonesthesteam »

Thanks for that, I'm off to GC next week so will have a look, which hire company did you use?
Jonesy
Gedge

Post by Gedge »

IMG_5265.JPG
IMG_5265.JPG (65.93 KiB) Viewed 5102 times
http://www.motoandbike.com

I had them recommended by a friend and would certainly recommend them as well...helmets and gloves included in hire ...theyve even got a KTM1050 and a new African Twin ( but you wont need them....)
newm_p

Post by newm_p »

1st commute ... Chose a road that I knew I was unhappy riding on my 1200GS.
Where I found the GS (& my VStrom 650 come to that) heavy to turn into some of the corners, the 500X just leans over with almost no input, PR4s gripping & the power easy to access. Even had a BMW driver being a dick behind me & I took a 90 degree bend so fast that he had to brake hard as he'd followed me in too fast.
I'm properly impressed with the PR4s. The last time I noticed such a marked difference was back in my 125 days on my MZ ETZ125 when I had the original East German nylon crap changed for Metzelers.
I found it so easy to ride that I took 5 minutes off my usual time for the journey & could push it into the garage when I got home.
My Trekker luggage is now at the dealers, so need to get that fitted ASAP & I'm hoping that the scotoiler will not be too far behind.
1st long trip this coming weekend ... Down to Tiverton in Devon to see step-daughters new house. Aiming for no motorways, give the bikes a decent, varied, run and to test out the TomTom. That should take care of most of the miles needed for the 1st service.
Godspeed

Post by Godspeed »

I've just returned from a trip to Scotland. I've had my 500 for a year now and it doesn't disappoint.
I'm an average speed kind of rider, but I'm getting up to 83mpg, which is almost as good as my 125!
It meant I didn't need to fill up til 240 miles and was getting almost 300 miles on a tank of 17 litres.
Brilliant (thumbs)
IMG_3728.JPG
IMG_3728.JPG (60.54 KiB) Viewed 5103 times
FullSizeRender.jpg
FullSizeRender.jpg (70 KiB) Viewed 5103 times
The Meandering Moustache

Going Big and Riding Small

Honda PCX125 (sports tourer)
Honda Innova ANF125 (Adventure bike)
Mosel Bikes

Post by Mosel Bikes »

Picked a 2016 model up this morning, to use through the summer,whilst recovering from my shoulder separation/broken clavicle surgery, wanting something lighter/easier until I return to my bigger/heavier and off-road bikes next year, when I'm stronger and have better movement.
First impressions are pretty good, once you accept it's a 'budget' bike.

Pros - light, very flickable, relatively smooth, comfortable ergonomics, good value and frugal and, imo, good looker (mine's the white one). Typical Honda build quality and feel. User-friendly, easy to use bike.

Cons - suspension (crude and choppy - but it is a budget bike and certainly 'liveable'), seat is not the most comfortable, but will look to have it re-upholstered, with more foam and a flatter, less stepped profile, as I can easily get both feet flat at standstill). Slightly snatchy throttle response at low speeds, but doesn't have the power to be an issue and will probably be cured with different sprocket.

I'll keep it this Summer then decide whether to move it on or make some mods. Got it for an excellent price so wouldn't lose anything if I do sell on.
Sensible choice, sensible bike, worth considering.
cb500x.jpg
cb500x.jpg (39.46 KiB) Viewed 5103 times
Greyhound Racing .... don't bet, don't go - you bet, they die :cry:
newm_p

CB500X

Post by newm_p »

Well, we've now been back from our trip to Austria for a while ...

500X was well loaded - top box, panniers plus 60l drybag.

Channel tunnel - Autoroutes to Haguenau then regular roads to Salzburg. We didn't touch any form of motorway then until we started back over a week later.

Both bikes (Mrs N is now on a CMX500 Rebel) performed flawlessly given what they are. The only time I felt that the bike was out of place was on the autobahns/autoroutes/motorways when fully loaded, otherwise there is just enough power. The handling IMO is superb, especially with the PR4s on - I never felt I was going to run out of grip even when I'd lost concentration & went into bends a bit too fast. Dab of brake & lean over a bit further!

We managed the Goldecker, Villacher, GrossGlockner, Knockholmstrasse and up to the Malta Dam in the week we were in Carinthia. Spectacular scenery. I'd have saved the Grossglockner for the last day if I'd know how magnificent it was, it spoilt the Knockholmstrasse (which is beautiful & a cracking ride in its own right)

Fuel consumption was well into the 80s on the X & 70s on the Rebel while in the mountains, but down to mid 50s (X) high 40s (Rebel) with the throttle held completely open & bikes weighed down against a headwind.
Slowrider

Post by Slowrider »

Upgraded mine with the Rally Raid Level 3 kit. Wire wheels, rear shock with external preload adjuster, engine crash bar and sump guard, front fork springs and dampers, handlebar riser, plus added Barkbuster hand guards Tutoro chain oiler, USB and 12v power outlets. Just rode London to Helsinki and back with a mixture or Motorway, forest roads and bits of the Swedish TET (Trans Euro Trail). Road up to 350 miles per day and really happy with the bike.

I really love the look after the upgrade.
videoman

Post by videoman »

That does look good and hopefully performs as well as it looks.
Slowrider

Post by Slowrider »

It performs far better than I can ride it, I am so happy with it. I did a lot of research before buying the bike and I did with the expectation of carrying out the Rally Raid upgrade, which I did my self and I am no mechanic.

Part of the research was taking part in one of the Honda Adventure Centre in Wales two day off road training courses on an Africa twin. Absolutely loved the Africa twin. It was amazing on rough ground, deep mud, crazy steep hills made of rocks and gravel, a bike that gives you great confidence. It was OK to pick up the first time I dropped it, took two of us the second time and three of us the 3rd time................... As I was going to be doing a mixture of group and solo riding, motorway and off-road in remote places, I wanted a bike that I could pick up time and time again, especially after a tough day. Ok, Ok, it's not a lightweight dirt bike, but it is more manageable than an Africa Twin or Big GS.

Lots of you-tube videos on the Rally Raid upgrade performing off-road. Some great pictures on the RR site https://www.cb500xadventure.com/large-grid

I don't work for Rally Raid, I am not sponsored by them, I just love the quality of their modifications and happy to share.
CB500 X with Rally Raid Level 3 Upgrade
Toured in : ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง ๐Ÿ‡ฎ๐Ÿ‡ช ๐Ÿ‡ซ๐Ÿ‡ท ๐Ÿ‡ฉ๐Ÿ‡ช ๐Ÿ‡ณ๐Ÿ‡ฑ ๐Ÿ‡ช๐Ÿ‡ธ ๐Ÿ‡ฎ๐Ÿ‡น ๐Ÿ‡ธ๐Ÿ‡ฎ ๐Ÿ‡ญ๐Ÿ‡ท๐Ÿ‡ณ๐Ÿ‡ด ๐Ÿ‡ฉ๐Ÿ‡ฐ ๐Ÿ‡ธ๐Ÿ‡ช ๐Ÿ‡ซ๐Ÿ‡ฎ ๐Ÿ‡ฒ๐Ÿ‡ฆ

BMW R1200C - Bought new in 2000 and I am still in love with it

Return to โ€œBIKESโ€