crf250rally 5 grand adventure bike

The Things We Ride
frenchy3

Re: crf250rally 5 grand adventure bike

Post by frenchy3 »

Spot on,i love everything about the DRZ but who designed the gearbox? I had 15/48 which was good for off road but on the road i feel like i am punishing it.Standard is 15/44 not great for off road. I ended up splitting the difference at 15/46. Even my Kawasaki KLX300 and Yamaha WR250f had better gear ratios for the road. There is no way i could afford the Nova racing gearbox. Honda also missed a trick when they didn,t produce a 450/500 version of your bike. I know this has been discussed at length and the huge far eastern market is in the 250cc and below class.
minkyhead wrote:
frenchy3 wrote:What a great write up and photos. A realistic appraisal of what looks like a real world useable bike. I gather they are quite heavy compared to an enduro bike but so was my Harley MT350 and that rode very well on and off road. I managed to find a late low mileage Suzuki DRZ 400 s but this would make a great alternative for me.
the drz is the better trail bike i ran one for 7 years my biggest problem with the drz was the close ratio box ...i couldnt get the gearing right ..gear it for offr oad and itwas ace but revving its nuts off a 55mph ..gear it for the road and it became tall and gappy ..
the honda make up for a lot of its power shortcomings with the 6 speed box the tiny 1st gear will climb anything within reason and the sixth will keep things accepatable on the motorway ...its apity we coudnt have a drz engine with the honda gearbox in then we would be cooking on gas :laugh:
videoman

Post by videoman »

Great write up thanks very much and far more informative than any magazine article.
Would you ride one down to Morocco and back or would you say the CCM would be a better bike for this?
aliwakeskate

Post by aliwakeskate »

Nice one fella (thumbs) . Does look good that bike!
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

Great review, thanks
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
minkyhead

Post by minkyhead »

videoman wrote:Great write up thanks very much and far more informative than any magazine article.

Would you ride one down to Morocco and back or would you say the CCM would be a better bike for this?
i find this a very difficult question to answer ..the ccm has the power to dump the luggage and go over some dunes a dynamic rider would love its power in the sand ...but thats a tiny part of marroco
spin the wheel in 2nd on a ccm ..open the throttle
spin the wheel in 2nd on a crf ..buy a paddock stand :evil:

can i answer it this way ..if somone offered me a africa twin or a crf rally for free ..based on the tracks ive done before in marroc id take the rally every time
whats the wether forcast ..wheres me map
beddowsm

Post by beddowsm »

Ace report minky. Wouldnt mind a blast on the rally next time we are out.
videoman

Post by videoman »

Just wondered how do you think a Rally would compare to a CCM for a ride down to Morocco as you must be the most experienced person on here to judge both bikes.
boboneleg

Post by boboneleg »

Nice one Minky (thumbs)
one-legged adventurer
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

excellent write up and pics (thumbs)
I got the `L` but you got me thinking now :S
Zookman

Post by Zookman »

garyboy wrote:excellent write up and pics (thumbs)

I got the `L` but you got me thinking now :S
Its worth getting a test ride on one...
I really rated the one i test rode, then i road tested an L, then tried the Rally again. There were some things i preferred about the Rally and things i disliked about it. After weighing up the 2, i decided i preferred the standard L. I liked the more basic feel of it.

Return to “BIKES”