Ducati Multistrada 950

The Things We Ride
Bluebird

Ducati Multistrada 950

Post by Bluebird »

Hi Guys
Is there anyone on here who owns one of these, or has had an extensive test ride on one. I would like your comments if you have, as it's on my radar.
Cheers
v8mark

Re: Ducati Multistrada 950

Post by v8mark »

hi, a good friend of mine has just brought one , we swapped bikes for a change , very punchy comfortable,, gearbox very notchy , dashboard clear good riding position,, viby twin , would i have one no i prefer my xcx
20170421_140739_resized.jpg
20170421_140739_resized.jpg (68.75 KiB) Viewed 3573 times
xcxducati.jpg
xcxducati.jpg (88.26 KiB) Viewed 3573 times
Mike Wright

Post by Mike Wright »

Fantastic bike but check out the service costs to see if you are prepared to pay them as a friend had a Pikes Peak version and it wasnt cheap to run.
DaveCon

Post by DaveCon »

IMG_3958.jpg
IMG_3958.jpg (78.44 KiB) Viewed 3573 times
Had mine a couple of weeks and it's going in for it's first service tomorrow. It's replacing my F800GSA on which I did 20K miles with no fuss; long miles, touring, commuting, fun, lugging stuff etc etc as I don't have a car. It's a hard act to follow but the Multi 950 is really impressing me.

I wanted a V twin so I tested the Multi 950 against the VStrom 1000 and the KTM1090. So what do you want to know?

COMFORT (subjective I know but this is what I found): - very important to me because I can do long miles/hours at a stretch. On the F800 I've done 6 hours, jumped off, put up a tent and gone for a walk it was that easy. The Multi 950 is that order of comfort for me, and I've already done two 4 hour runs; fits like a glove. By comparison I found the Vstrom 1000 a bit cramped after an hour and the KTM was painful after 5 minutes and by an hour my left leg was numb! Literally!

ENGINE: - At slower speeds (like commuting in traffic) it's like a big single, which I love, and anytime you're in the wrong gear it really doesn't like it. It likes to be up the rev range (which is difficult when you're gently running-in the engine). Above 4000rpm the engine comes on song and it's race heritage begins to show. No vibes over 3000rpm, just gently thrums away on the motorway or growls through the twisties. By comparison the VStrom was the opposite, change down for a corner and it felt like it was standing on it's nose, better just use its torque to ride through in a high gear. And the KTM, well very free revving and a light switch throttle and we know what that means...

GEARBOX: - A pig to begin with. In the first 100 miles I thought I was going to break a toe trying to get 1st-N-2nd sorted. As the bike has worn in, also as it warms up during a ride and as I'm getting used to it, the gearbox is getting easier. Once on the move, again over 4000rpm, the gearbox is a peach but you do need to work it to keep the revs up. Maybe this will change as the bike loosens up, I seem to remember the F800 getting more flexible with more miles.

BRAKES: - Awesome from high speed. I had to come to a sharp stop on the motorway from 70mph and I could feel the disk and pads grinding together. I was more worried about being rammed from behind. At slower speeds, not so good. The fronts are too aggressive and snatchy so I'm going to ask them to take a look in case there is a fault. The rear brake is a bit wooden (I like to use the rear in traffic) and the foot pedal is far too small on this type of bike.

HANDLING: - The suspension is fully adjustable front and back but I've just left it as it came. It soaks up the bumps far better then the F800 and still doesn't dive half as much under braking. Bendswinging is a joy, wet or dry, loaded or solo, it just feels like there's more grip than I could ever need.

LUGGAGE: - Not a strong point for me, and it's the type of bike where this matters. I'm a soft panniers fan but there aren't any available for the bike yet so I'm stuck with Ducatis stylish but small hard panniers, which have already let some rain in! On the plus side there are some bungee hooks which help and Givi have now released a tanklock to fit a tankbag.

ACCESSORIES: - Another weak point. Ducati themselves haven't caught up with their own supply of accessories for the bike yet. Heated grips are expected in August and Sat Nav bracket mid June both of which I wanted now and paid for. When I ordered the bike there were very few aftermarket suppliers offering anything, although I suspect most Multi 1200 parts will fit, they are not committing themselves. In the last week Givi have started to announce some specific parts so I think more will become available shortly.

FUEL: - Tank range (full to empty) is about 200 miles but the reserve light comes on at a very cautious 150(ish) miles. I flip to the "miles to empty" countdown display which so far has been very accurate. I'm getting 47mpg urban commute and nearer 60mpg touring (SuperPlus) but I am gently running-in at the moment.

OTHER STUFF: - The dashboard is easy to read and use but if the sun hits it the reflection can be blinding. Riding modes are easy to select and easy to customise; the bike comes with a very good and comprehensive manual. Mirrors were a pig to set up, I needed the Ducati mechanic to help before I set off. Underseat storage exists! Not a lot but some is a bit of a novelty these days. The adjustable screen is terrific, far better than it looks like it would be, and with an MRA aero screen it's even better (for me at 5'10" anyway). Ducati (Manchester) fitted a Scottoiler for me and did an excellent job.

SERVICE COSTS: - The first service is about the same as most at around £160. Then it's a long gap to the next service at 9000 miles, same as the Multistrada 1200. I know VStroms have just pushed theirs to 7000 miles possibly to compete. Thing is don't just go off cost alone if this is a factor.

INSURANCE: - This was a bother for me. It's suffering from "new model to the market" syndrome. Not many insurers are covering it, consequently it's disproportionately expensive. I had to change broker to get a "new business discount" but even then it was expensive.

Phew, I think that about covers it but ask away if I've missed anything. (The boss thinks I'm working really hard typing out some important document :laugh: )
Bluebird

Post by Bluebird »

Thank you for that review of your Ducati, I found it better than some so called professional reviews. I think you have covered everything I wanted to know. I would like to put aluminium hard luggage on if possible ( I think it is).
It's good that they are going to address some of the accessory issues, especially the heated grips!! Who would by a bike for touring without them.
I am not looking to change just yet, and for me it would be a slight downsizing of bike, as I currently own a GSA 1200, the KTM 1090 I think is also worth considering.
Once again many thanks for your objective review, enjoy your Ducati. (thumbs)
DaveCon

Post by DaveCon »

Bluebird wrote: I would like to put aluminium hard luggage on if possible ( I think it is).
There's not that much aftermarket equipment specific for the 950 just yet. Take a look at https://www.givi.co.uk/my-motorcycle#DU ... a_950_(17)
If you can wait, I think another year will see a lot more come available. If Ducati go down the same model development as the 1200, I can see a 950 Enduro model too, which would be quite something for Tiger, F800, 1090 etc buyers to think about (thumbs)
V_King

Post by V_King »

the 950 is just a costed down 1200.
had a chance to compare both bikes side by side. apart from uglier wheels, double sided swingarm and a lot of unpainted plastic panels, the rest is pretty much the same, so a lot of 1200 multistrada accessories should fit.
have a look at the 1050 tiger sport as well, well underrated bike, if you are looking for a good all rounder, not just chasing the fashion.
""
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

Well I've just bought one in White.
Why did I chop in my GSA800?
My CCM GP450s with the power upgrade is very capable of longer mixed road travel. I'd say it cruises along on the motorway at 75/80 easily, which is only 10/15mph down on the GSA800.
Obviously the CCM is much more capable off road.
So I'm thinking there's a far overlap between the CCM and The BMW, why not get something a bit more fun on the road, something that's not as coarse and vibey over 80 mph. But something that's still up to a bit of rough road travel.
Hence the Ducati.
I'm still running it in, but I can't get over how much it feels like a GS1200LC.
It's obviously a bit lighter than a GS1200, but you only really notice that when you're backing it up or pushing it around.
But from the rider's seat, aside from the clocks and the "Ducati" badge......bars, handling, seat hight, tank width and power delivery are very GS1200LC.
.....which is a good thing.

Return to “BIKES”