Which bike for RTW?

The Things We Ride
Dazzer

Re: Which bike for RTW?

Post by Dazzer »

If you have had a bike for a while and ridden a few thousand miles on it and are happy with the bike take that.
I would recommend fitting new wheel bearing's front and rear .New chain and sprockets ( if its not shaft of course lol )
If the bike is a couple of years old strip all the linkage and check and replace if worn if not repack with grease. At the same time do the same with the head stock bearings.
Fit all new brake pads ( take the old part worn ones with you just incase ) Take a clutch cable . change the oil and filter and set off on new tyres.
If you get a serous break down the chances of fixing it at the road side are slim. Getting a lift for you and your bike to a place that can fix it is guaranteed ( may take a while )
Many talk about the weight of a bike. well unless you intend bench pressing it every day its not such a issue. You do need to be able to pick it up on your own and if you can't sit next to it make a brew and someone with turn up to help you.
Remember …if your in remote parts of the world it would be fool hardy to ride at speeds you would possibly do in say Europe. If you fall and hurt yourself help is a long time coming.
Take it steady and enjoy the ride and scenery . (thumbs)
GB

Re: Which bike for RTW?

Post by GB »

Well I know he has a 701 in the garage but he doesn't want to take that, if everyone else in the group is on GS's it would make sense to be on a GS as well. If its mainly on road and just dirt trails off road I'd take a GS as well, the 1200 not the 800 but thats my personal preference. A bit more info about the trip would interesting.
Finally back on a GS :D

Return to “BIKES”