Which bike for RTW?

The Things We Ride
Sidecarwilly

Re: Which bike for RTW?

Post by Sidecarwilly »

As previous comments - size isn't everything !!. Nathan Millward - did Sydney to UK on a Australian Post Office Honda 110cc.
92kk k100lt 193214

Post by 92kk k100lt 193214 »

I wouldn't take any off that list. You wont fix any of them in rural Russia or and remote location, even if you wait a few weeks for parts to arrive.
With new cars that I keep for many many years the only times they were on flatbeds was under 4 years old, one German being the worst, 4 breakdowns in under 4 years from new and none of them capable of a being repaired roadside. First one at 23k miles just after a service, 2 ABS failures and a transmission failure. Would I use any new one now? No.
A bike you know really well, have had long enough to know intimately may be a better bet. Another reason is you should know it well enough to be able to modify your way out of trouble. Steel frame a local welder can fix a break.
I wouldn't take a monster either as most of your route is likely to be non motorway so anything 350-750cc would be fine unless you are trying to do the trip in a short time just to say you did it in which case you see nothing and don't experience the smell of the flowers and the feel of place. Turn up on a big BMW in some places and you are set apart as a moneyed tourist and quite possibly a target.
Why would I travel on an old K? Bullet proof, fuel issues and dirty fuel are your biggest risk. Easy to sort and the same fuel pump went into millions of Fiats and Peugeots and anything else that are right around the world. A toolkit to do any running repair and even a clutch change etc doesn't even hit 3kg and with a few bits to prop the bike can be done at the side of the road. But clutches in them last forever.
If you really want to do it the bike of the 70s ands 80s was the old/5 and /6 series BMWs that went plodding along forever. So too did the 70s and 80s Hondas even though they are old school the early Honda Fours has a reliability that was the envy of everyone. The stories of the SOHC CB750 doing 100,000 miles with nothing other than consumables were everywhere for good reason.
1992 K100LT June 2010 110,000 miles
1984 K100RT July 2013 36,000 miles, 90,000
1983 K100RS Nov 2018 29,000 miles, 58,600 miles
1996 K1100LT Oct 2020 37,990 miles, 48,990 miles
1984 K100 Sprint March 2023 58,000 miles, 62,000 miles
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

Don't get a Triumph...if the speedo gets water in it, the bike stops and it will not work again.
I'd get something aircooled...a BMW GS from before they got silly complicated, or an XR650L or something like that.
Screw and locknut valves are good, too.
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

Actually, if you are in a group then take the same bike as everyone else.
that way you can test for defective electric parts by substitution, carry just one comprehensive set of tools, one manual and all ride at the same pace.
catcitrus

Post by catcitrus »

I agree--all far to electronic--get a non paralever BM--R80 G/S or ST--there is a reason they are sought after!
ChasF

Post by ChasF »

As I said all the bikes listed are far too complicated for a rtw. There is of course some sense in everyone in the group being on the same model and many wouldn't been seen dead on the round the world circuit on anything less than a brand new beemer.
I'm sure there are literally hundreds of travellers who've had a trouble free trip and never had to do anything more than change the oil and get the brake pads changed a couple of times, but it's probably also true that more have been stranded at the roadside miles from anywhere, than there were in the days when Triumphs and BSA were the bike of choice.
Bit of a whistle stop tour at 3 to 4 months. We took a year to do UK to Cape Town and that was just about right.
Famous

Post by Famous »

Take the bike you fancy most from your list
If the rest of the crew are taking larger mile munchers then if you take a 650 or whatever you'll be under pressure and the rot starts
The route will get chosen or adjusted to suit the bikes
If you arrive on an xr400 and everyone else is on 1200's they're not going to be heading for rutted trails
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

Skyliner wrote:I will make it a short list:

1. BMW F800GS Adventure
2. KTM 990 Adventure
3. BMW R1200GS
4 Triumph Tiger 800 XC

Which would your choice be and what reasons? Anything to take into consideration when making the choice?
Thanks in advance for your input.
I've owned all these bikes, but I've never been around the world on any of them.
Of the four you mention the BMW 800 is my favourite.
I'd make sure I could actually ride it first in gnarly and difficult conditions before I set off on the big one.
Possibly, if I felt challenged I'd take some training on big bike off road control.
If I where setting off around the world I'd buy a new bike, put a couple of thousand miles on it then set off.
I'd probably import a new DR650 from America, spec it up, get used to before it I set off.
Although, my CCM450s is a better bike dynamically especially off road, I'd feel the DR would be a better 20,000 mile mule.
boboneleg

Post by boboneleg »

Richard Simpson Mark II wrote:Don't get a Triumph...if the speedo gets water in it, the bike stops and it will not work again.

I'd get something aircooled...a BMW GS from before they got silly complicated, or an XR650L or something like that.
Screw and locknut valves are good, too.
I forgot the XR650L, another good choice.
one-legged adventurer
Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

I have never done a RTW trip so can only give my thoughts not experiences.
If going with a group then the collective will dictate what type of terrain you ride, what route you will take, how fast you ride and where you will have to get to for an overnight stop .... consequently I would have thought the group will decide what sort of bike you will need to stay with that group.
Personally I can think of nothing worse than spending my hard earned cash to race around the World at somebody else's pace and agenda ..... but that is just me.
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.

Return to “BIKES”