Yamaha XT660z Tenere

The Things We Ride
ullukk

Re: Yamaha XT660z Tenere

Post by ullukk »

Had a 660 ten for about 3 years now and I think its an excellent road bike but a very tall one, i'm 6'2" and still think its high, its got an aftermarket touratech seat on it but not sure if it makes any difference to height to original seat, it was on it when I bought it.
XTChris

Post by XTChris »

Been commuting on my Tenere for about 2 1/2 years now and love it. I am 6ft and love the height for visibility although it is awkward to manoeuvre backwards by tippy toes. If you had a moment off road it could be difficult to save.

Saying that I am thinking about selling it to get a CB500X and rally raid it. If I had the cash I would probably have gone the Africa Twin route.
BIG BILL

Post by BIG BILL »

I recently sold mine after 8 months of ownership.
Very capable machine and grunty within limits.
I am 5"9 and my bike a 2009 came with a lowered seat and I was still on tippie toe at junctions, you can buy lowering links for not alot of money.
I only did a few trails/greelanes and boy is it heavy to pick up but easy enough with the help of my stong Son. :silly:
Great MPG
Lowered seat was like a plank
Front need a spring and oil upgrade
very well made, apart from the spoke issue but that never bothered me as I ride not show
The reason I traded? I wanted a smother faster Bike.
But the XT660 Tenere will always be in my heart as one of my favorites
If money was no object I would deffo have one in my Lotto garage.
BB
Don't wait for your ship to come in, swim out and meet the Bl**dy thing ( Barry Sheene )
Your along time dead..
Dark Knight

Post by Dark Knight »

I would not use lowering links to lower the seat height as it will upset the handling, there are a couple of suppliers offering a reduced thickness seat.
Or you could use boots with high heels.
BIG BILL

Post by BIG BILL »

Dark Knight wrote:I would not use lowering links to lower the seat height as it will upset the handling, there are a couple of suppliers offering a reduced thickness seat.

Or you could use boots with high heels.
:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: (thumbs)

BB
Don't wait for your ship to come in, swim out and meet the Bl**dy thing ( Barry Sheene )
Your along time dead..
RandG

Post by RandG »

I'm 5.9 and have a standard height tenere, it's a giraffe for sure but easily manageable (thumbs)
mark vb

Post by mark vb »

Had my Tenere for 3.5 yrs now. It's used mainly for commuting at which it excels - 60+ mpg, 300+ miles to a tank, and excellent views over car roofs from the high seat. At 6'1" & 33" leg it's manageable seat height-wise, but care is needed when stopping on more steeply cambered roads. Motorways are ok at 75-80 mph. It's also had some mild off-road use - fire tracks etc. - where it's acceptable but I wouldn't use it for anything more aggressive as it's undoubtedly a bit (top) heavy. Super reliable, too. I get on reasonably well with the seat over medium distances, but need an Airhawk for longer distances. Would I get another? Yes.
RandG

Post by RandG »

I've said this before but again, I have no idea how anyone manages 300mile + out a tank :blink: 230 tops for me, 200 with panniers fitted.
Chris S

Question for Yamaha XT660z Tenere owners

Post by Chris S »

oops - keep doing this
Chris S

Question for Yamaha XT660z Tenere owners

Post by Chris S »

XTZ request

Would a 660Z owner mind measuring the inside distance between the front rotors for me? Ta.

Wrt fuel consumption, my 2008 data here:
https://adventure-motorcycling.com/xtz6 ... tion-data/

It was my first efi bike: ave 71.7mpg (25.4kpl) - or potentially 360 miles on a tank.
Very handy. If only my arse could last that long.

But heavier than a CB500X... That front wheel weighed a ton, and as said, wasn't that strong.

Return to “BIKES”