The XT350 Thread - The Ultimate Adventure Bike!

The Things We Ride
Thedktor

Post by Thedktor »

Well that got your attention and this might not go very far but I thought it would be nice to have a small thread for the XT before it disappears forever. So please share anything you have.

Mine was bought in 1987 ish off a friend and was my first "big" bike after a string of little two strokes like the DT175. Its all relative obviously but the XT350 seemed like a massive step up from a DT175, fun and capable on open roads, and easily crusing at 70+ on the motorway.

Now the last point is of interest as I have not ridden an XT since but I'm sure mine was better on the road than my current DR350's, as though the DR's will hold 70 they feel quite busy and a little strained.

Or is it just a rose-tinted memory? I dont know but I loved that bike and wish I had never sold it when a wife, and then children, unexpectedly came along!

Ha. I do ponder whether to get another one, but when I look the ones for sale are all very rough, or grossly over-priced....

XT350StHelens.jpg
XT350StHelens.jpg (43.76 KiB) Viewed 4713 times
That's my blurry XT and old Cavalier :)

At the time I mainly used the DT175 for trail riding as the XT felt like a tank (in comparison) , and it does seem from other's opinions and my own memory that a DR350 is more nimble and able off-road. And the later DR's had a leccy start of course though I don't remember the XT being problematic to kick into life.

I need to do a back to back ride test :)

1988XT350IMG_20160121_0034.jpg
1988XT350IMG_20160121_0034.jpg (79.31 KiB) Viewed 4713 times
This last pic is really what sums up the XT350 for me - a fantastic few days in mid Wales, after riding up from Southampton, something which seems a long way to go on a 350 but at 70-80 just as (legally) quick as anything bigger. And then point it up a crazy steep stony trail and its all dealt with without fuss.

1988IMG_20160121_0041.jpg
1988IMG_20160121_0041.jpg (48.58 KiB) Viewed 4713 times

Like I said - the ultimate adventure bike!! :) :cheer: B)
- Steve

Southampton area

DR350, 349, DRZ, 701
diggermanbob

Re: The XT350 Thread - The Ultimate Adventure Bike!

Post by diggermanbob »

How about a TTR250 6speed , electric and kickstart , I have been told they are very good off road and not bad on , picking mine up in the next few days , and going to turn it into my small cc ultimate adventure bike , (thumbs)
bowber

Post by bowber »

My brother in law still has his, he's had it for nearly 20 years and it's had a motor rebuild, he used it for years and did several trips from Cumbria down to Luton airport to fly over to his mates in Switzerland, he even came back with a huge sledge strapped to the back once :laugh:
Was always and still is easy to start but it does need the carb draining if left for a while as it doesn't like old fuel, back to back with a DR the DR is miles better off road, you can actually feel the frame flex on the XT, on road pretty similar to be honest but it's a while since I've ridden it on the road.
Overall they are a very good bike and tough as old nails.
Forks are a bit whimpy for the weight I always though and the front brake is shite, drum rear.

Steve
The Wobbler

Post by The Wobbler »

Nice Thread
I had a good 10 years with the xt as my main all around bike
Loved the stonking motor and ability to get traction everywhere
Just found it hard to lift the front end over things
It tried to kill me in Lime Kiln woods in the forest of dean
Slippery rock steps were not its forte
Great solid bike but in truth my DR was a better bike
Cheers
Hugo
Stewie

Post by Stewie »

Here's mine, loved it, the duel carb with the slave side made the engine seem more powerful than it was, nice looking but most went for the bigger 600cc
ChasF

Post by ChasF »

I had one for many years (1996 to 2008). Great bike, I probably had more fun trail riding on it than any bike since. Lack of a decent rear brake was an issue at times. Also kickstart only - if I left it more than a couple of weeks it took some starting.
Bigdavesmate

Post by Bigdavesmate »

[attachment:1]IMG_1480.JPG[/attachment]

now you're talking.
Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen.- Louis L'Amour
Bigdavesmate

Post by Bigdavesmate »

Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen.- Louis L'Amour
Bigdavesmate

Post by Bigdavesmate »

feck it, I give up!
Thedktor

Post by Thedktor »

Thanks for the replies and memories - I'm a little surprised that there is not at least one owner on here? But good to hear of one still in service Bowber.

I had forgotten they have a drum rear, seems crude now for a bike that size but they usually work OK if kept dry! And starting - larger four-strokes are always easier to light up with fresh fuel - I reckon anything more than a week, perhaps 2, it is a good idea to drain the carb.

Yeah, I still think I need one, maybe I'll start having a proper look around.... :)
- Steve

Southampton area

DR350, 349, DRZ, 701

Return to “BIKES”