A review of the CRF250 Rally.

The Things We Ride
scutty

Re: A review of the CRF250 Rally.

Post by scutty »

minkyhead wrote:its ace neil much better than its weight suggests ..pity it wenrt a 400 ...i am considering weather to put the 300 engine in it and sell the 250 ??
Steve
Come ride my 500 before you decide B)

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Helicoptermanr22

Post by Helicoptermanr22 »

Dont know if this is bull or not but i went i to Bransons bikes in Gloucester and speaking with the sales guy and he said that Honda are or will be doing a CRF400 L version. I questioned this and the response was yes the definitely are and likely to see next year..

The next Honda place was Torbay Motorcycles and their response to this was " i heard that as well "

Anyone with info???
roberteagle6

Post by roberteagle6 »

CCM have been coming in for some heavy critisizm - perhaps deserved, but they are willing to sort it given time. I ride both the CRF250l and I put 7000 mls on my first CCM GP450 - very few actual problems, fueling finally sorted with Power Commander.

The only thing they have in common I would say is weight and height. CRF 150kilo CCM 125. The Honda is a plodder and a joy to off-road especially kind to the more novice rider, on tarmac it lacks the grunt for overtaking . (I weight around 10.5 st wet !)

The CCM is a racer and the engine stalls very easily in novice hands (mine for example) off-road. I traded mine in for the new SR - the hydraulic clutch, 6 speed box and extra 25% power really have made a difference for me, the power means that it doesn't stall anywhere near as easily as it does in standard trim. The bike is brilliant on tarmac, so I can enjoy longer trips and hit the trails when I get somewhere. I have had some serious issues with this bike, but CCM have been brilliant in sorting it - I plan to keep the bike unless the new 600 is even better !

Both I believe are good at what they do - what do you want or need ?
boboneleg

Post by boboneleg »

Got mine today, first brand new bike I've bought since 1982!! Of course as soon as I got it the rain came down so she's tucked up in the garage now.
IMG_2014.JPG
IMG_2014.JPG (124.8 KiB) Viewed 2688 times
Attachments
IMG_2016.JPG
IMG_2016.JPG (138.42 KiB) Viewed 2688 times
one-legged adventurer
roberteagle6

Post by roberteagle6 »

Good luck Bob, I am sure you will have loads of fun with it. We could almost do an ABC CRF 250 meet - Scoob, Cowling , Uncle Buck, Minky, You and I. ??
herman

Post by herman »

roberteagle6 wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:40 pm Good luck Bob, I am sure you will have loads of fun with it. We could almost do an ABC CRF 250 meet - Scoob, Cowling , Uncle Buck, Minky, You and I. ??
In France at Paul's :D
The secret of a long life is knowing when its time to go.
catcitrus

Post by catcitrus »

For you CRF250 Rally owners (inspired by scooby who has tested his standard bashplate pretty well already) I'm going to do a carbon/kevlar bashplate "skin" to reinforce the standard one--to go over it and up the sides a bit if possible (to protect when lying down)--retaining the existing side plastics . I have a new bashplate from Fowlers to do the modelling. Its a complex front mount which will be difficult to replicate in a complete replacement--hence the approach--but the original slots into the frame at the rear so is pretty solid anyway--so the idea is to make the original much more rock and scrape resistant by strategically bolting on a close carbon/kevlar form that will take more abuse. It will just involve about 4 M8 holes in the original plastic--which is too full of holes already for proper offroad in my opinion. It will take time--and hopefully be of interest?--its making the mould thats the hard bit. I know that there is an Oz replacement form out there in alloy--but expensive in my opinion, especially with shipping. This would do the job well I'm sure--but it really depends on your intended use.
Barftone

Post by Barftone »

Ark at eee with the new shiney thing! Keep it clean Bob :shock:
minkyhead

Post by minkyhead »

testing me new shock today 15kgms of crap in the panniers ...all good ...very good infact :D

whats the wether forcast ..wheres me map
boboneleg

Post by boboneleg »

Which rear shock did you go for Steve?
one-legged adventurer

Return to “BIKES”