A review of the CRF250 Rally.

The Things We Ride
boboneleg

Re: A review of the CRF250 Rally.

Post by boboneleg »

rallymoto wrote:can you imagine how well a 450/650 would sell !!!!!!!!!!
Absolutely, do you think Honda have an engine that's suitable?
one-legged adventurer
nathanthepostman

Post by nathanthepostman »

Just to answer the press question. I've been trying to get hold of one to do something for one of the mags and Honda still doesn't have any on fleet, and won't for a few weeks at least. They've not had a launch event either, hence why you haven't seen it any of the mags.

The mags, on the whole, are reluctant with stuff like this. Too niche. Too off-road centric and therefore to their minds not relevant to the majority of their readership (ABR notwithstanding).

It's the same with all the niche bikes that we might find interesting; Versys 300, KTM 1090 Adv R, even the VanVan 200. The manufacturer's just don't give them the push they need - favouring the humdrum road bike or high end stuff. It's a shame, as I reckon with the right approach they could attract a lot of new customers. By all accounts this new Rallye is being considered quite highly. Hopefully I'll get a go on one in Bulgaria, hey Minky!
minkyhead

Post by minkyhead »

i read a post fron a guy in idonesia who said bikes over 250cc attract a 125 percent hike in local taxes ....it looks like 250 is a imprtant cc like it was here in the 70s ..a 400 would be ace B)

you going to bulgaria nathan ?? ace B)

ive shipped the ccm this time me and dave are doing a balkan tour in july and i may well take the rally ..i like it a lot
in terms of a enduro bike its a non starter but think of it as a mini tenere its ace ,,it has a really pleasent manner on the road and touring the little roads of greece and albania it will be in its element i reacon
yes the rear will end up with a new shock but it really isnt bad at all its only when pack muling it it will need a bit of help ..

im nearly done now just need to fit tyres ..im in no hurry shes taking me to work at the moment while im figuring stuff out

ive a1000 miles up now and im very pleased it actually better than i bargained for .. ..and compared to dorothy you will think your on a R1

always remember the abr run when you were on dorothey with all the big gses and ktms ...living proof small is beutiful . i did smile that day (thumbs)
[url=http://]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qn_KxeurGoU[/url]
Imagenathan by minkyhead56, on Flickr[/img]

if you want to borrow it give us a shout could do a run around the lakes trails

keep well

whats the wether forcast ..wheres me map
FERDINAND PICK

Post by FERDINAND PICK »

I brought one after trying one out in Thailand at the start of the year. Ive done over 1500 miles on mine, had it a month nearly.

I'm quite impressed for a 250cc. It's quite a tall bike and likes being rev'ed. I have been off road on pedders way and round Thetford forest.

Did a 6 day 950 mile round trip to Cornwall from Norfolk last bank holiday, carried luggage and camped. Did some lanes in Devon on route.

It feels very much like my old DrZ 400 with smidgen less torque. It feels very stable and lighter than it is. Great fairing for keeping the elements off you and makes long journeys easier than the DrZ The sweet cruising spot is 70 - 75mph @ 7000 - 7500rpm.

The suspension isn't up to hard enduro and is a little soft but with a bit more preload it's better. It isn't going to win any ¼ mile races. I think some of the lower plastics are may get damaged if dropped but metal Bash plate have started to appear in the market.

I'm keeping it stock for a while and seeing how it goes. All in all a cheap little travel bike that can go anywhere with reliability to boot.

rallymoto

Post by rallymoto »

bring it to sweetlamb lets see how it does:-) ....my guess it will go well allso there is a sprint on 21st may some 250s will be there ...............
nathanthepostman

Post by nathanthepostman »

Hey Minky. Yeah I'm joining you in July for the trip into Bulgaria. Taking the Terra TR650. Should be a good trip.

And yeah, fond memories of that day on the lanes, flat out on the road sections and easy does it on the trails.

The Rallye does look an interesting proposition. It is a shame they haven't made more effort to get the bike sold. Maybe it'll be a slow burner. Regular CRFs seem to be going cheap on eBay though.
charliejorr

Post by charliejorr »

Thanks for that Nathan - Bike politics eh :-). - Had mine a couple of weeks now and am very impressed with it
minkyhead

Post by minkyhead »

rallymoto wrote:bring it to sweetlamb lets see how it does:-) ....my guess it will go well allso there is a sprint on 21st may some 250s will be there ...............

i dont like to ride fast or faster than i want too ...everything has to be tickety boo and the moon in line with venus to see me hit 60 off road

i do want to improve some of my dubious bounce over tequniques ...maby do a skills day later on

im a get there steady have brew .. dangle me feet in a river type of guy just glad to be out there tbo i just love the freedom of being out and off the beaten track (thumbs)
whats the wether forcast ..wheres me map
rallymoto

Post by rallymoto »

minkyhead wrote:
rallymoto wrote:bring it to sweetlamb lets see how it does:-) ....my guess it will go well allso there is a sprint on 21st may some 250s will be there ...............

i dont like to ride fast or faster than i want too ...everything has to be tickety boo and the moon in line with venus to see me hit 60 off road

i do want to improve some of my dubious bounce over tequniques ...maby do a skills day later on

im a get there steady have brew .. dangle me feet in a river type of guy just glad to be out there tbo i just love the freedom of being out and off the beaten track (thumbs)

absolutly nothing wrong with that mate ... ,the invite is still open :-)
come and have a cuppa you can dangle you feet in a river
(we have one of those as well )
moly
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

rallymoto wrote:

absolutly nothing wrong with that mate ... ,the invite is still open :-)
come and have a cuppa you can dangle you feet in a river
(we have one of those as well )
moly
Just watch for the dead sheep just upstream... :whistle: ...especially if he makes the cuppa from stream water! :unsure:

Return to “BIKES”