A review of the CRF250 Rally.

The Things We Ride
hornet

Re: A review of the CRF250 Rally.

Post by hornet »

G'day chaps

Did you buy a 250L and then wish it was the Rally ?

Been looking at the CRF250 L and Rally a lot of late my Drz400E has been with me for 7 1/2 years now from new and although we've had some good times together it might just be time for a change. I keep my bikes for a long time compared to most I don't chop and change ,my Aprilia went this year after 11 years service
Now being from Suffolk we don't rush into things and having read an awful lot about Minky's Rally transformation into the 300 and other people experiences including the excellent write up from Amsterdam to anywhere I'm finding it hard to see a reason not to get one. I'm booked in for a demo tomorrow on the rally and the standard model and to be honest I don't really know which I want for my needs as I do have a gs8 already. The Rally does look great but for green lanes the plastic will probably need to go But the headlight unit and sat nav bar look great and are practical. A bigger tank seems a good thing to have too. But there is a cost difference and I could buy my own front rack and an IMS tank that's bigger than the rally and making up a screen must be possible.

Its not the worst problem to have in the world is it ? But I guess when you might ride it for a long time and a long way its important to get it right. Just reading MInky's novel in response to Steve's question about the CCM and CRF differences was enlightening although ultimately it comes down to personal preferences not right or wrong.

I might just post tomorrow a picture of my new ride if I can make a decision.

Thanks to all you guys with this thread real world experience and knowledge is very helpful

MIke
Two wheels roaming. My FB page
Brenhden

Post by Brenhden »

Just rode about 170 miles on the Rally and it's nearing it's first service. The engine is definitely running a lot better now although I've still not given it the beans. Today was a mix of everything from motorway to rocky stream. It behaved faultlessly and I'm super pleased with it. Apart from maybe the tires. It didn't like muddy ruts very much but then I'm no good at them.

What an absolutely excellent day :)
IMG_20171024_111248.jpg
IMG_20171024_111248.jpg (108.8 KiB) Viewed 5689 times
And now, Harry, let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure.

Suzuki DR200 Djebel.
🇬🇧🇫🇷🇧🇪🇱🇺🇪🇸🇬🇷🇩🇪
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

minkyhead wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:09 pm
SteveW wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:11 pm Minky, if you had to say......which is better, your CRF300 or your CCM GP 450?
Which would you prefer to ride on say a 2000 mile mixed road/trail trip?
Which is more fun?
Which is better off road?
Which is better on road?
phew hard questions

the ccm is by far the better bike to ride fast no doubt about that ..it lurking in 450 exc terotory on speed and the chassis just eats up anything no twist no fuss ..hit a big long rain rut a 60mph and it just monsters it ...but as you know steve im not the fastest guy out there by a long way but i have hit some pretty fast speeds on the ccm ..its very exciting to ride i think ..and it just feels so composed and safe even me captain slow has seen 75mph on a firetrack

by the time you have fitted luggage racks belly pans and the extra fuel there isnt that much in it weight wise ..but you do notce the balence of the ccm is much better those low tanks make it feel much quicker between the pegs and on steep rocky stuff it really is fantasticicaally plush and sure footed ...it hands down the better bike particulary for a expierianced rider ....its a funny bike ..it can feel really fast and classy at times ..and grumpy and lumpy at others ..crude even ?..but i like a bit of shake rattle and roll and its a lot of fun thats for sure

but it make you work for it ..its amuch more tricky bike to keep sweet on the slow town work and it has a tendancy for me to always want to be let go ..it always feels impatiant on the road until you get it spinning proper ...very exciting acceleration is impressive ...but on a longer trip you dont always and indeed cant let it go to where it waants to really be ..so it can be annoying on the real slower days

the hondas are dead slow by comparason ...acceleration on the ccm is in a different planet ..but wait a moment ...they are slow getting there but when they do by and large they will stay there ....and its surprising how much ground they will cover ..the 300 crfs will easily cruise at atrue no bulshit sat nav at 70mph and above .. and theres no doubt that they are much better on fuel id say around 25mpg better the one thing is they are soooo easy to ride stick it in 5th at 30mph and its sweet..they are perhaps the ultimate lazy mans bike ..you really do appriciate how easy they are to ride in any conditions any gear will do ..ccm is great at going fast and the crfs are unbelivable easy to ride slow ..increadbly slow a
i have never seen the ccm as a long distance rtw bike and have stated that numerouse times ...ialway saw it as a weekend warrior ...down to salisbury 200 miles braap the trails ..home through wales 300 miles and ive done dozens of that kind of weekend and for me it really excels its delivered that and its been/is a good bike for me ..thats how i always saw it and its delivered in spades and theres nothing wrong in that ..i dont buy in to the 5000 service intervals and do my own thing and so far have had zero engine issues not even close ..

2000 mile trip any of them will do fine ...my thoughts are that the hondas are more suited to being subjected to prolonged road use ..i kind of see the ccm as a waste if a lot of tarmack is invoilved ..theres no doubt that the engine will require some top end work long before the little hondas ..... but in my expieriance the ccm motor hould stay reasobly sweet for 20k and id be very happy throwing a grand at it when its needed ...theres also no doubt that the hondas are much easier to work on /or to fix on the trail ...
i have a saying is no point of putting a rachorce on a carttrack ...so i tend to keep the ccm for sunday best
..the 300l cost me around 4 grand suspension engine tank ect ect ...so it makes sense to point that at all the winter crap ..you would i think be surprised how well it goes and copes with the upgraded suspensin ....you wont be afraid to point it at most things that uk trails have on offer ..it isnt struggling or only just making it ..for the most part it does most things pretty dam well .. why not buy a enduro bike ? not for me the crf just eats hours no fuss no bother and plain works .. i bet its done a 1000 hours running between the two motors and the spare is in perfect running order ..thats al been taken away from the ccm ..she is on around 300 at the moment

one thing or theme runs through it crf rally or ccm ....light is might ... i like all of them i am very lucky ....

in truth everytime i open the garage door the ccm always winks at me ...it is my favorite ...i just think it looks fantastic ..if im in the mood to rais the pulse a little ..she is ready to deliver

if i had a real big trip .........5/6000 id have to take the rally ..its going to be more reliable long term and it is just so easy to ride at all times so for the longer haul i would probaly appriciate the easy honda day after day
Great answer!
I think I know where you're coming from.
I've got my DRZ400e that I'd ride (when it's running!) on the general trails instead of my CCMGP450.
I think it's like a two wheel Land-rover.
The CCM is a real fun bike to ride and people may think you are duplicating things a bit by having your Honda and a CCM, but they are pretty different in the way they go about things, they do overlap to an extent.
In the event of a Zombie Apocalypse, in a situation. where fuel was in short supply and I only needed to move faster than a stumbling Zombie hoard.......but I needed my bike to crack-up first time, every time, not to stall or break down, I'd pick the CRF every time.
Joking apart I rode your first CRF250L and I thought it was a cracker.
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

cat/pidgeons in defense of the `L` :mrgreen:
not wishing to be controversial :P .. I really don't believe the rally is that much more a better bike than the `L` :shock:
..no .. I have not tried the rally or a 300 upgrade :lol:
.. and ... the `L` feels like a weak road bike pretending to be trail bike with the pretending enduro-like qualities even :evil:
.. but .. the paper spec is not much better for the rally, and even Minky's most excellent 300 transplant is actually only 36cc increase.
the rally is taller and heavier too, which don't suit me :?

with the `L` .. although it feels like I am taking an old fashioned road bike on the trails ... what I don't get is how Honda have managed to make it so very usable. I think its the fuel injection which is so excellent at very low revs, and the low tuning and gentle pick up.
perhaps its because I am a very slow old rider on trails. :P

yes.. I often feel like I could do with more oomph on tarmac, a bit more power, a bit less weight, .. but for the cost of the package and the power management .. its brill.
I cant see, even not having tried it, how the rally can be much better?
its the same engine ... just slightly higher tuned?, slightly better suspension and brakes .. all welcome of course .. and what I would wish for .. but is it really that much better?

cheers :D
P4ulie

Post by P4ulie »

I think a few of us may have a CRF and CCM keeping each other company. Minky pretty much has it on the nail, both are excellent bikes in completely different ways.

The CRF is a road bike that is perfectly competent on the trails. I use it to get me to, around and from work with the occasional gentle green lane thrown in. It starts every time, very rarely has a tantrum and the usual service just involves changing the oil and filter. It's almost nearly impossible to stall.

The CCM is a trail bike that's very competent on the roads. It's a fantastic bike to ride, goes like stink and flatters an incompetent rider. Every time I open the garage door it makes me smile but riding it slowly can be a PITA. Servicing it needs some mechanical skills or in my case a lot of cash :oops:

Which one would I take for an extended trip? If I upgraded to an IMS tank & sorted out a screen the CRF without a doubt. Reliability is crucial & as much as I love the CCM, I wouldn't trust it to complete the journey. It took me to Scotland & back without any trouble but there have been a few disasters thrown in. When a CCM throws a tantrum it doesn't mess around
With enough profanity, you can accomplish anything
scoobydidler

Post by scoobydidler »

wispyone wrote:This thread has got me seriously thinking of selling the GS 800 and getting a rally. We use the base 250l at work and really rate them. Decisions decisions :)
Have a go on mine anytime mate.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

Brenhden

Post by Brenhden »

wispyone wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:46 pm This thread has got me seriously thinking of selling the GS 800 and getting a rally. We use the base 250l at work and really rate them. Decisions decisions :)
What sort of awesome job is that?
And now, Harry, let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure.

Suzuki DR200 Djebel.
🇬🇧🇫🇷🇧🇪🇱🇺🇪🇸🇬🇷🇩🇪
wispyone

Post by wispyone »

scoobydidler wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:45 pm
wispyone wrote:This thread has got me seriously thinking of selling the GS 800 and getting a rally. We use the base 250l at work and really rate them. Decisions decisions :)
Have a go on mine anytime mate.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk
Cheers Scooby . I may take you up on that at some point, I'm also keeping a close on on the ABC meetings. Hope to get to another at some point - just need to sort it around work etc
wispyone

Post by wispyone »

Brenhden wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:54 pm
wispyone wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:46 pm This thread has got me seriously thinking of selling the GS 800 and getting a rally. We use the base 250l at work and really rate them. Decisions decisions :)
What sort of awesome job is that?
Ha - I'm a copper , working on the off road bike team....... let the abuse begin :mrgreen:
boboneleg

Post by boboneleg »

wispyone wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:06 pm
Ha - I'm a copper , working on the off road bike team....... let the abuse begin :mrgreen:
Can't see anything wrong in that whatsoever, fair play to you.
one-legged adventurer

Return to “BIKES”