Crf 250 rally ....crf250l

The Things We Ride
Mikekitts81

Post by Mikekitts81 »

I been looking at bikes and don't understand wats going on with Honda it's cheaper to buy I new crf rally than the crfl ....so why with all other company's like husky is it always dearer to buy the rally versions ... yea with the crf250l it's 250 a month on vpl at 0% finance but the rally is only 150 a month at 6.9 % but you still pay less back for the fiance and the cost can anyone understand this

Sent from my BBA100-2 using Tapatalk
All things built not bought . The only way is adventure .
ledwardio

Re: Crf 250 rally ....crf250l

Post by ledwardio »

Not sure what deals you've seen but that doesn't look right for the 250L. Perhaps they've made a typo.

Kestrel are doing it for 0% and its only £133.33 per month.

http://www.kestrelhonda.co.uk/honda/off ... offers.htm
halfpint

Post by halfpint »

for a review we need mr pick he has just purchased a 250 rally .
minkyhead

Post by minkyhead »

i took a test ride this week at blackpool honda ..they only had one bike and allowed me ten miles only ..it was not a demo bike .. this is me very limited RR ive since managed to strike a decent deal 400 off list if i buy before 31st march ...i was impressed enough to buy one ..i like it quite alot ,,it will take me a few months to adventurise it but i will use it for work inbetween (thumbs) .................................................................................... finally managed to get a test ride today it was a only bike and the dealer was kind enough to let me have a go ..it was not a demo bike and i had aggreed to do no more than ten miles this in mind i was very limeted as to what i could do ..i mapped out a 10 mile route but could find only one little track that tells me nothing except the tyres are shit my comparason is with ..me standard crf ....crf with suspension upgrade and recently the crf with a 300r engine i wanted to see if the upgrades on the 250rally were really differnt r than the older bike or just a paper upgrade ?can i tell any meaningful difference and would it be enough to convince me first impressions its taller but sags quite abit when seated ..the suspension is very very soft and boinging up and down on the front and rear was easy ,, with a limited milage i rode out on the rally with 1 mile on the clock and the engine was going to be naturally a bit tight .. a litle grass track told me not alot other than the low speed suspension was compliant and plush i had a little counrty lane to run up and there is a difference in power ..its not mad but it feels much the same lower in the revs ..but from 5500 revs to 8 its got a distinct little kick to it ..not manic but notocably stronger . clicking into 6th at around 55mph the bike pulled on steadily and felt much better able to pull and hold the gear at 70mph the bike is only doing 65mph ...the pleasing thing was that it felt pretty unstressed and able to hold its speed ..i would guess that it would go at a true 65mph all day long maby more ..but its better for sure and not stressed in any way ..if your used to a 250 that is .. ..it has had its engine reworked to provide more pulling power where the higher gears sit from a personal point of view 65/70 is good enough as my tyres are not up to speeds in excess of 75mph ..and previous expiriance tells me the crf can keep a back tyre biting for over 7000 miles where as me 450 wil destroy a maxxis in 1000 miles if i get happy with it ,, i dont know if the box is different but when going slow the gap from 1st to 2nd seemed much easier to bridge and the clutch was spot on it seemed much less laggy when shifting to 2nd lower down ..i suspect there may be a little more torque lower down the revs soo the curve starts a little earlier ? ..but it is better without doubt im guessing it has 14/40 gearing but dont know for sure from the little bit of speed i used on the bumpy back roads the ride was quite plush and the bike felt more stable and planted than me crf but i do use much more aggressive tyres ..it cornedered really nice too front brake was ok and the rear hardly worked at ll they need bedding in to comment properly the suspension ,,the video is not spectacular but its all had to play on but bumping kerbs slow and quicker is a way i use to get a feel of the bike ..the actual suspension is soft but the damping on the front was quite good or at least a noticble improvment on the limited bits i could do .. i did the same thing on me 250l on a test ride and it was proper harsh ..obviosly im not using all the stroke but its did a fair job of making the kerbs feel plush and easy and i know that its markedly better than the old 250l out of the box ...the actual absobsion wasnt bad at all and with a stronger spring i think they will be perfectly ok . im in no doubt that the suspension can be made to be decent enough for most rugged road situations..im well in tune with how to improve a 250l suspension and il get it sorted but the rearshock is a mystery at the moment the rear seemed better too it didnt kick or argue and it seemed to pass the kerb test a lot better than the 250... i couldnt work it hard to find much out about it ..i would think id need a another shock for luggage and to control the rebound but i would just go and ride if first and see how it went the bars were too low for me but rox imitations off ebay solve that well on the L ,,the bike fits my6ft 1 frame easy and leg room was ample ...the bike has a great balence to it and a low c of g and is simple to ride at half walking pace i am impressed by its ability to ride slow ..and the weight is very very well disgiised and it balences very well indeed .i t is super novice freindly and great choice as a fisrt adv bike ..on the flip side it would take a more confident rider over most stuff you would reasonably encounter on tracks and trails with little fuss ..easy undemanding capable and managable .. the dash is exelent clear with all the info you need seat is hard and the screen is a least 1 foot to low to be of any real use to a tall guy but thats easily fixed ..id be thinking some sort of slide up and down systen grafted on to the original with a mra wing for good measure but id make that work real well the .the pastics are vunerable low down ..but personally i would dremmel tham away partly and work around a 4ml bash plate to creatye fixing points al in all there are noticable improvmets to the crf rally both with the engine and the suspension ...brakes to new to tell ..the rear hardly worked and the front was ok but new tyres and rain were enough to keep me from messing about too much ..you can switch the rear off but a niggle is how sensitive the front may be on steep downhill stuff . ive no idea ..ill have to trust that honda havnt gone mad with the sensitivity weight ..it feels no different whatsoever to the 250l ..and id have no trouble picking it up fully loaded ..or turnig it ariound on my knee or sidestand but its blessed with a very low c of g and it balences very well ..it is after all based on the 250l chassis and that works wll for me id have liked to try it on somthing a bit more testing but at least i could get a feel for it and it felt pretty good in fairness ...i know its only a few kerbs and a grassy bank and a run over the fens ,,,but that is all i had to work with i am normally a bit more daring but it did tell me alittle about the way it rides and its enough to make me like it quite alot ..the service intervals and proven reliability of the crf are valuble to me ..im blessed by being a guy not in a hurry and like the super easy nature of the little bikes when riding for long periods ..i think the raly has just enough for my plans typically d roads and no roads where power is not always a big advantage . riding away on the 300 you immidiatly notice the extra tourque lower down ..but i belive the rally will manage just fine ..it sort of sits between the L and the 300 as it has deffinatly been reworked to make its limited power cover up the shorcomings of the original bike .. would i buy one ?? yes i would ..i need a bike to replace me old klr and for work ..i could use it for work and over a period of months improve it and get it rugged road ready ..its pracical transport and trail worthy ,,i do very big milages over the year ,, and look at the crf like a mini tenere rather than a enduro weapon and in that context i think it will work very well ..i like it and think i will get one soon given i only had 10 miles to work with it was a positive test ..i geniuinly normally ride fairly tough trails so this is a micky mouse test ..improvised the sound isnt that good and the terrain is ...err improvised /unipressive so please dont think i ride over kerbs as a normal thing ...but the feel and general mess about answwred a few questions for me i belive with a few basic adjustments it will be a good bike
whats the wether forcast ..wheres me map
The Sarge

Post by The Sarge »

A great write up Steve as always. (thumbs)

Sarge
Mikekitts81

Post by Mikekitts81 »

I was looking at Wigan Honda in new bikes section and the rally and there fiance deals it was 481 I think deposit then 139 a month for so many months paying 5000 sommat back then the crf250l was 250 a month 1000 deposit and paying over 6000 back ...I think you may be right on the typo will find out wen they get back to me about a test ride of the rally ....

Sent from my BBA100-2 using Tapatalk
All things built not bought . The only way is adventure .
fatowl

Post by fatowl »

I have a test ride booked for tomorrow ! looking forward to it very much.
I'm glad to read that the improvements Honda have made are genuine, and not just advertising rubbish.
videoman

Post by videoman »

Really good to hear a constructive test and you must be the most knowledgeable person on the forum regarding CRF250's and your latest incarnation CRF300.

Thanks for taking the time to post your views.
WillS

Post by WillS »

Very interesting bike report Steve on the Rally, looks a really nice bike, and seems to go well.
Nice little video also, pity they didn't lend it to you for a weekend to put a few more miles and test on different terrains, but very informative. Think they are released in April in France.
I think it will be a popular bike. Hopefully there will be a few CRF250L's on the market when a few upgrade!!
minkyhead

Post by minkyhead »

its a individual thing . if had the choice between the rally or a africatwin to take on holiday rent free ..the rally would hands down be my first choice .. strange but true B)
i test rode the africa twin last year and was totally underwhelmed where as the rally i was very impressed
there will be pleanty of folk who will have the reverse opinion and that would be easy to understand

either way i reacon they wil sell tens of thousand of em it good little bike
whats the wether forcast ..wheres me map

Return to “BIKES”